Unlimited dining package?

jmele999

What am I missing here ? I have not sailed NCL for a few years now, but the buffet has always been unlimited. And the dinning room was to, all you had to do was ask for more. I personally have never seen the need for the pay specialty on board restaurants with all the other on board food available.

Paying and eating in any specialty restaurant is a personal thing. And when they package them at a savings, that's just another thing to look at to purchase on your vacation. Yes, the restaurants that are included in your cruise fair are usually good and readily available. Being in the restaurant business my entire life I like to try the specialty venues. If not for the quiet setting and more personalized service, you get to appreciate and see chef's from around the world show you what they can do. Oasis of the Seas 150 Central Park and Celebeity Reflections Murano are just 2 that give you world class food and service. It also gives the cruise lines another income stream, and that keeps the overall cruise pricing down.

Depending on the mix of specialty restaurants you might choose and the number of nights you eat at a specialty, it seems the package would certainly be a money saver. Especially if Ocean Blue with it's $49 fee is included.

Can it be purchased on board or for pre purchase only? Would hate not to be able to use my OBC for it.

Not double :) $199 for cruises 10days or longer.

Wife & I are going on the Epic Eastern/Western itinerary back-to-back in Jan-Feb (15 days). Any info on whether back-to-backs are considered two cruises, or one, for the dining package??? Not sure if we'd buy it either way, but we're curious.

Wife & I are going on the Epic Eastern/Western itinerary back-to-back in Jan-Feb (15 days). Any info on whether back-to-backs are considered two cruises, or one, for the dining package??? Not sure if we'd buy it either way, but we're curious.

Two separate cruises means you must have two separate confirmation numbers. If just one, it is considered one cruise.

I wonder if this takes off if they will have to start limiting the number that are sold. As you never know how many people will only want to go to the same ones making it impossible for reservations. Also with the Platinum members getting Le Bistro free this could be a problem with both programs running for reservations. Will be interesting to see how this turns out.

I wonder if this takes off if they will have to start limiting the number that are sold. As you never know how many people will only want to go to the same ones making it impossible for reservations. Also with the Platinum members getting Le Bistro free this could be a problem with both programs running for reservations. Will be interesting to see how this turns out.

I can't see it making that much difference. These restaurants were often half or more empty on most ships. Even on the Epic, we had no problem just walking up to both Le Bistro and Cagneys with no reservation. So, if the program is popular, you might find the restaurants a little busier, and need to be more flexible. Reservations might be a little more necessary. Time will tell. Most people will never be interested in the specialties even at a discount.

I can't see it making that much difference. These restaurants were often half or more empty on most ships. Even on the Epic, we had no problem just walking up to both Le Bistro and Cagneys with no reservation. So, if the program is popular, you might find the restaurants a little busier, and need to be more flexible. Reservations might be a little more necessary. Time will tell. Most people will never be interested in the specialties even at a discount.

Guess it all depends on the sailing as my last sailing on the Gem last year we were not able to get into LeBistro till the last night.

Guess it all depends on the sailing as my last sailing on the Gem last year we were not able to get into LeBistro till the last night.

I see people make this comment from time to time. Are you calling to request a reservation and being denied or are you walking up and being denied? Were you offered a different time and refused it? Did you refuse a short wait?

I don't think we've ever had a res for Cagney's or Le Bistro on any ship we've been on, 5 so far, yet we've been able to walk straight in, or wait 15 minutes or so on the night of our choice. It is entirely possible that their max reservations are "full" for a given date and time, yet if you wait a short while, there are no shows and they get you right in. We had this experience on the Epic. Was told they were expecting a large influx of reservations and to check back. 15 minutes or so later, we were being seated.

It can be a deal if you always eat in the upgraded restaurants. $199 for our 14 day means we will need to eat at least at each place 2 times just to break even. So 10 out of 14 days seems to be a lot.

On a 10 day cruise it only pays if you eat EVERY meal and have at least one meal at the steakhouse. Then you saved $10.

The only reason I am considering the UDP is because we started to get bored with the selections from the included venues after 5 days. So I am hoping his will stave off the boredom on the 14 day cruise. Plus I can give it a good review for all the CC people who might care.

The adventure is in the planning.

It can be a deal if you always eat in the upgraded restaurants. $199 for our 14 day means we will need to eat at least at each place 2 times just to break even. So 10 out of 14 days seems to be a lot.

On a 10 day cruise it only pays if you eat EVERY meal and have at least one meal at the steakhouse. Then you saved $10.

The only reason I am considering the UDP is because we started to get bored with the selections from the included venues after 5 days. So I am hoping his will stave off the boredom on the 14 day cruise. Plus I can give it a good review for all the CC people who might care.

A $10 savings? I figured the cost of eating 6 nights at the specialties we would enjoy and the savings came out to be around $26 per person. $52 for a couple is not bad at all! Much better than the big $7 savings you get on the old book 3 offer.:rolleyes:.

And for a 14 day sailing, you are already getting a $39 pp savings over the $119 x 2 with the $199 price you pay for 2 weeks. Adding up the prices for 12 dinners minus the $199 cost, I figured you could save about $91 per person.

I certainly would not mind eating in a few of these places more than once. There is always something on the menu you would like the second time around:p.

A $10 savings? I figured the cost of eating 6 nights at the specialties we would enjoy and the savings came out to be around $26 per person. $52 for a couple is not bad at all! Much better than the big $7 savings you get on the old book 3 offer.:rolleyes:.

And for a 14 day sailing, you are already getting a $39 pp savings over the $119 x 2 with the $199 price you pay for 2 weeks. Adding up the prices for 12 dinners minus the $199 cost, I figured you could save about $91 per person.

I certainly would not mind eating in a few of these places more than once. There is always something on the menu you would like the second time around:p.

Here are the numbers that I came up with. If you ate at every specialty restaurant once and repeated one restaurant (Cagney's because it is the most expensive) for a total of seven dinners, your total bill would be $155 for the week. This is based on following prices:

Cagney's $30

Teppanyaki $25

Le Bistro $20

Moderno $20

La Cucina $15

Asian $15

The overall savings for the week using the UDP would be $36 based on the proposed or discussed rate of $119 for the UDP. Your savings will be less if you don't eat at a specialty restaurant every night, which can easily happen if you are tired and don't feel like going to dinner. The savings can be higher if you chose to eat at expensive places like Cagney's and Teppanyaki multiple times during the week.

We are still undecided as to whether or not the UDP is a good deal for our upcoming cruise in January.

Any thoughts?

I see people make this comment from time to time. Are you calling to request a reservation and being denied or are you walking up and being denied? Were you offered a different time and refused it? Did you refuse a short wait?

I don't think we've ever had a res for Cagney's or Le Bistro on any ship we've been on, 5 so far, yet we've been able to walk straight in, or wait 15 minutes or so on the night of our choice. It is entirely possible that their max reservations are "full" for a given date and time, yet if you wait a short while, there are no shows and they get you right in. We had this experience on the Epic. Was told they were expecting a large influx of reservations and to check back. 15 minutes or so later, we were being seated.

I had called and then showed up to double check. I don't mind waiting as i will just grab drinks at a bar. However if they said No on the phone earlier and No again when I personally showed up then No I don't sit there all night waiting for Cancellations. I didn't say every Sailing I went on there was No seating. However on the Gem last year I as well as some people I spoke with during the week from my Roll Call stated it was hard if not impossible to get into LeBistro. I am done debating this topic with you. As my original comment was and still stands IF this takes off I WONDER if they would have to limit the number sold. Honestly YOU, ANYONE ELSE or I can't answer that until it is fully rolled out. Personally I feel LeBistro will be a problem between this new program and the current Plantium free dinner. As every sailing is different you might have very few that buy into this or many. We all shall see. I look forward to hearing back from people AFTER they roll it out and it can be evaluated.

I guess this would be good for someone who wants to eat at the specialty restaurants every night, otherwise, not worth it. For me, better to just pay the surcharges for a couple nights and eat at other venues the rest of the time. Or, no specialty at all, we'll see. Eating at specialty every night is not for us. One reason we cruise is for the all inclusiveness of the pricing, which includes food. So to pay extra for food when "included" food is available, does not fit with our plans. The Bermuda cruise is already pretty expensive as it is.

debbie

The more I think about it, the more I think I'm going to pass on it. Like I said before, I know at least one night I'll be doing Cirque, so that leaves me with 6 nts. I liked O'Sheehans, and being a solo, I have a feeling I'll go to a dinner or two with the group. The only restaurants is be interested in are the four, and even to do one night at each would be $85. I'd have to repeat two nights at one of the restaurants, which is gone, but that would bring me me to a $110-$120 total anyway( I don't see myself repeating Cagneys if I did Cagneys and Moderno... Two meat heavy nights are plenty!!)

Now, if I were on BA, and this price included the super expensive seafood place, or if the specialty places were open for lunch as well, or if it included Cirque... I'd think about it more. I don't think the price is horrible, and again, for those that absolutely HATE the buffet,MDR and pub, it's not a bad option. But for me, I don't think it would work. JMO.

It will be interesting to see how ppl like it though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I recently pre purchased the signature trio (Cagneys, Le Bistro, and La Cucina plus a free bottle of wine as long as you reserve Cagneys for the first night) for $57. I didn't know about this new deal at the time and don't know if they would let me switch. Still, I think I'd just as soon stick to the trio for now and "rough it" in the free venues the rest of the time. I'm already a fan of the UBP, and plan on buying that for the cruise. My only concern is that this will cause a downgrade of service and quality in the main dining rooms. I know that many feel that quality has ALREADY gone down in those areas. I don't really have enough prior experience to judge myself, but I've so far found them to be perfectly fine. Maybe not as good as the fancier spots, but just as good as many mid level restaurants you'll visit on shore. We shall see how this all works out. It's all pretty interesting though! :)

Well, I recently pre purchased the signature trio (Cagneys, Le Bistro, and La Cucina plus a free bottle of wine as long as you reserve Cagneys for the first night) for $57. I didn't know about this new deal at the time and don't know if they would let me switch. Still, I think I'd just as soon stick to the trio for now and "rough it" in the free venues the rest of the time. I'm already a fan of the UBP, and plan on buying that for the cruise. My only concern is that this will cause a downgrade of service and quality in the main dining rooms. I know that many feel that quality has ALREADY gone down in those areas. I don't really have enough prior experience to judge myself, but I've so far found them to be perfectly fine. Maybe not as good as the fancier spots, but just as good as many mid level restaurants you'll visit on shore. We shall see how this all works out. It's all pretty interesting though! :)

It was shared that Pre-sold Dining confirmation will be amended if you select UDP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

Here are the numbers that I came up with. If you ate at every specialty restaurant once and repeated one restaurant (Cagney's because it is the most expensive) for a total of seven dinners, your total bill would be $155 for the week. This is based on following prices:

Cagney's $30

Teppanyaki $25

Le Bistro $20

Moderno $20

La Cucina $15

Asian $15

The overall savings for the week using the UDP would be $36 based on the proposed or discussed rate of $119 for the UDP. Your savings will be less if you don't eat at a specialty restaurant every night, which can easily happen if you are tired and don't feel like going to dinner. The savings can be higher if you chose to eat at expensive places like Cagney's and Teppanyaki multiple times during the week.

We are still undecided as to whether or not the UDP is a good deal for our upcoming cruise in January.

Any thoughts?

My calculations included only our favorites, Cagneys, Le Bistro, Moderno and Teppanyaki and eating at specialties 6 times on a 7 day cruise. Higher priced, so more savings.

But you are right. One night you may suddenly feel like having wings at O'Sheehans, and some of that buffet food was pretty good. Now that I've slept on it, I don't know that I'd buy the package. The whole essence of Freestyle for me is being able to do what you feel like in the moment with no reservations and no thought in the back of your mind that you must eat somewhere with a fee x number of times. I think we'll probably just end up eating "out" 3 or 4 times at our favorites and come out money ahead.

Edited by punkincc

I hadn't considered the Asian and teppenyaki seperately so that does make it a better deal. Thanks for the clarification!

Too bad they couldn't make the UBP THIS affordable. lol

Cagney's $30

Teppanyaki $25

Le Bistro $20

Moderno $20

La Cucina $15

Asian $15

The overall savings for the week using the UDP would be $36 based on the proposed or discussed rate of $119 for the UDP. Your savings will be less if you don't eat at a specialty restaurant every night, which can easily happen if you are tired and don't feel like going to dinner. The savings can be higher if you chose to eat at expensive places like Cagney's and Teppanyaki multiple times during the week

Which restaurant is "Asian $15" in your calculations? I have not seen it on Breakaway. There are Noodle Bar and Wasabi sushi bar on BA, but they both a la carte and not included in UDP.

I don't think the point of the UDP is to offer a savings to cruisers. I think it's to provide an additional income stream to NCL just like UBP. Most people will not utilize the package enough to garner any real savings, but buying the package for every party in a stateroom will be guaranteed money for NCL versus what the passengers may or may not eat (UDP) or drink (UBP) during the cruise. I think this will also encourage more people to try more of the specialty restaurants than they normally would since they're all included in the package. This would be good for the cruise because even if repeat customers don't purchase the package again, they may discover a specialty restaurant they really like and pay the upcharge to eat there again on future sailings.

I think that you might change your mind once you think about benefits that you couldn't use (no need for that Platinum Dinner for two if you've purchased a package), the exclusions (no Chef's Table, no Spiegel Tent/Illusionarium, no Ocean Blue), and factored in the actual cost of the package.

I am thinking the same thing: for those of us, who are platinum, especially both parties, we are talking 2 dinners right off the bat. We are the loyal cruisers, so we are the ones who c and we are most likely to be cruising NCL> Why would we want to purchase an unlimited dinning package? This to me says, we intend on cutting back on the MDR quality and convince people to use the specialty dining rooms more I am relatively sure, we would not bother to book a package like this, but for others, I guess, depending on the price it is worth it. We will see how it goes.

Edited by newmexicoNita