Gem From NY Question

Whitnee1

Travelling on the Gem from NY in January. On all the itineraries it lists the return time at 10:00 AM which is later than I have ever seen. I find it hard to believe also that they could turn the ship around to leave by 5:00 PM. If anyone has been on recently can you confirm the arrival time on your return??

Just so you know, there was a sailing in November that didn't arrive until after 10. The arrival time is set to allow them to slow if the seas get rough, as often happens coming north.

There is a reasonable chance the ship will be in well before 10, but it is not a given during the winter, as I've learned after yearly January cruises out of NYC.

She pulls in closer to the 7 am hour. Of the 4 ncl cruises out of NYC that I have done, each time the itinerary says 10 am arrival in ny but we docked by or before 7am.

My guess as to why to put that time is that last call for disembarkation is around 9:45 - 10 am. But I don't know if that's really the case.

The latest I have left the Gem was 9:20 and all the luggage tags were not called yet.

Like other's have pointed out...it is just in the business called "padding the schedule".....it allows an "on time" arrival, even if weather or other circumstances cause delays enroute. Then passengers will schedule their flight or other transportation arrangements for later in the day, and create less pressure and anxiety for everyone. It also benefits the line's customer service dept., with less complaints about arriving late, missing flights, etc.....

Passes under the Verrazano Bridge at 6am, is at the pier at 7am normally and was the case for our cruise returning December 13th.

Two cruises before that, she didn't get back until 10am as they had to go further out in the Atlantic to go around a storm.

One of our Roll Call members was all upset about getting in early and the self assist walk off as his car service was set for 11am. He made such a stink they gave him a free phone call to change the car time.

You experience may differ.

FWIW

they LITERALLY kicked us off the gem around 10:15... we were probably the last 2 people off the ship. Sat in the lobby and didn't see a soul, finally a worker came over to us at 10:15 and told us we HAD to get off. Seems silly since it doesn't plan to dock until 10am, but whatever. We docked extremely early.