Back from Grandeur of the Seas

Just back from my first trip with RC. I knew going in that the ship was not going to have the amenities of the ship I just recently sailed, the Carnival Breeze. However, I was expecting more from service and food.

Some of the food was awful. I ate everywhere... the main dining room, buffet and the speciality restaurants. None of the food wowed me. 2 yucky things stand out in my mind... the hockey puck crab cake and the chicken cordon blue with a broken chicken bone in it to make it look like I guess a chicken leg in the main dining room.

The breakfast buffet food was the same every day. Nothing changed. At least with the Breeze, there was more variety from day to day.

I had major issues with my sea pass card. I had to get a new one SIX times. After a day or so they wouldn't open my door. My son's card had to be replaced twice. We wore them on a lanyard around our necks and put them on the hook when we were in the room.

I think the entertainment was better on the GOS. My child also liked the kids club more than Carnival's.

Favorite employees on GOS... Desmond (entertainment staff) and the guy who stands at the buffet entrance. Mr. Yoo hoo Coca Cola.

There were few kids on this ship, but my son made friends with EVERYONE - kids, parents, staff and even the paid entertainers! If anyone remembers Aiden, I'm his mom.

I was really leaning towards Oasis of the Seas or Freedom of the Seas for my husband's birthday next year, but after telling him about the food and some other things, I'm not so sure. My biggest concern is the food. I'm assuming the food is the same from ship to ship??

Just back from my first trip with RC. I knew going in that the ship was not going to have the amenities of the ship I just recently sailed, the Carnival Breeze. However, I was expecting more from service and food.

Some of the food was awful. I ate everywhere... the main dining room, buffet and the speciality restaurants. None of the food wowed me. 2 yucky things stand out in my mind... the hockey puck crab cake and the chicken cordon blue with a broken chicken bone in it to make it look like I guess a chicken leg in the main dining room.

The breakfast buffet food was the same every day. Nothing changed. At least with the Breeze, there was more variety from day to day.

I had major issues with my sea pass card. I had to get a new one SIX times. After a day or so they wouldn't open my door. My son's card had to be replaced twice. We wore them on a lanyard around our necks and put them on the hook when we were in the room.

I think the entertainment was better on the GOS. My child also liked the kids club more than Carnival's.

Favorite employees on GOS... Desmond (entertainment staff) and the guy who stands at the buffet entrance. Mr. Yoo hoo Coca Cola.

There were few kids on this ship, but my son made friends with EVERYONE - kids, parents, staff and even the paid entertainers! If anyone remembers Aiden, I'm his mom.

I was really leaning towards Oasis of the Seas or Freedom of the Seas for my husband's birthday next year, but after telling him about the food and some other things, I'm not so sure. My biggest concern is the food. I'm assuming the food is the same from ship to ship??

Hello!

I was on the same cruise as you, and was posting "live" when time and technology allowed.

It is amazing how some things people love, and others hate. I thought that same windjammer greeter was a bit much, "my people, my people, yoo hoo, yooooo hoooooo". He was a little too happy for me before I had my coffee :-) (if you weren't there you wouldn't understand lol )

I'm worry to hear you didn't find the food to be very good. I do agree about breakfasts. We were onboard the previous week and there were several mornings when they had some non traditional items such as vegetable quesadillas, fried rice, and some other interesting items. The 12.14 cruise, it was pretty much the same every day, we didn't go hungry but would agree it was lacking variety that we have seen in other windjammers (including that very same one the week prior). With the exception of an overcooked filet in Giovanni's table (the waiter mis heard our request, but it was quickly fixed), and a prime rib in the dining room on the second formal night that was a little over cooked for our tastes, we enjoyed the food onboard.

As the saying goes, "different strokes for different folks," things that upset me will perhaps not upset you, but I hope you give Grandeur another shot, this last cruise was one of the better Royal cruises we've had in the last couple of years.

P.S. How about the weather on the final sea day? We were blown away on how good it was....we never expected to be able to enjoy such warm weather northbound (nothing to do with Royal, but lucky anyway)

Edited by bradpole

Oasis has way more dining venues, even free, so you will have a ton more options. Solarium bistro for healthy breakfast and big fruit, nut, granola bar. Park cafe has bagels to order, breakfast sandwiches, parfait, yogurt, fruit. Vitality cafe has a few grab and go items free at the gym. Johnny rockets diner is free for breakfast. Wipe out cafe near the sports court. Cafe promenade for quick bites, scones, muffins. There is a free donut shack area, or at least there is on Allure. That's not even touching on specialty places, mdr, windjammer, or room service. Free dreams works breakfast character meet up too.

[quote name=bradpole;41053017

It is amazing how some things people love' date=' and others hate. I thought that same windjammer greeter was a bit much, "my people, my people, yoo hoo, yooooo hoooooo". He was a little too happy for me before I had my coffee :-) (if you weren't there you wouldn't understand lol )[/quote]

You are so right. I loved the guy. My DH not so much.

Never assume the food will be the same ship to ship, week to week, or day to day. I've had good and not as good on four different lines. I've never had bad food on any line.

We were on the same cruise and loved the food. Could have done without the pig heads at the buffet.

I also think the guy was annoying. Too much noise. And it seemed like no matter what time we got to the Windjammer we heard Dolly Parton singing Hard Candy Christmas.

We are going on the Grandeur in a few months

For me breakfastwise, as long as I can get my made to order omelet and a big side of bacon in the morning, that is all the variety I need :)

Speaking of which, having not cruised Royal before, i assume the windjammer has made to order omelet stations for breakfast - am I right?

We are going on the Grandeur in a few months

For me breakfastwise, as long as I can get my made to order omelet and a big side of bacon in the morning, that is all the variety I need :)

Speaking of which, having not cruised Royal before, i assume the windjammer has made to order omelet stations for breakfast - am I right?

Yes they do. We got off Grandeur 2 weeks ago and the made to order omelette

was usually part of our morning ritual.