What's wrong with hot tubs?

Buck Turgidson

I am from California and last Feb-March we were on the Cunard Queen Elizabeth going from Los Angeles to the South Pacific and returning to Los Angeles. On our first night at sea we were in the hot tub and a British guy came over with a smile and said "you must be Americans" I said yes, he laughed to himself and walked away. At our first dinner I asked a Adrian, a British man at our table about this and he said " Well you didn't see any Brits in there did you?" he snickered a bit and that was the end of it. Are public hot tubs frowned upon?:eek:

This is just a personal view but it might echo that of others. Those with swimming pools will know that maintaining water quality when the water temp exceeds 31 C is problematic. The solution is careful chemical balance and replenishment - I'm not convinced communal pools are that well maintained and the aerosol produced by the bubbling carries micro-organisms which you then breathe in.

A second point is that in most of Europe, except the English-speaking countries, to use a hot tub while wearing a swimming costume is seen as not only strange but also rather comical (the same applies to saunas).