Key West Snorkeling?

rocketlegs

I was thinking of getting a snorkeling excursion in Key West, but all the boats seem to take 1 hour to get to the snorkel place, 1 hour in the water and 1 hour back.

Have any of you snorkeled in Key West and found a shorter travel time with more snorkel time, or is it better to skip it?

Yep

ain't that what I just said? OK, you are just agreeing with detail!

Penn' is an hour north of KW on a good day

You can actually find good 'stuff' on Looe Key but that is still a decent drive NORTH on 1 from KW

Edited by Capt_BJ

btw ... I was wrong . . .

KW is mile marker ZERO

Pennekamp is around mile marker 100 .. 100 miles on a NOT Interstate

the boat ride to Ft J on a fast ferry will take about the same time as a drive up US-1 to PK'

IMO the best option in KW

a Cuban Coffee

a Cuban Sandwich

a beer in Sloppy Joes if the singer is good, Capt Tony's otherwise

Edited by Capt_BJ

I snorkeled in key west when I was younger..I can't remember how long it took to get there but it was nice once we were in the water. That was one of my first snorkeling experiences so it was pretty awesome (I saw a barracuda!) but if you are a seasoned snorkeler/diver I don't think you'll be that impressed..especially since it's quite a ride to get to the destination.

The OP lists South Dakota as home and an upcoming cruise in March of this year. Based on that information I`ll assume arrival via listed NCL cruise and little opportunity for good snorkeling at home.

As a native Floridian who`s first trip to Key West was in the late 50`s things have changed a lot and mostly not for the good. The reason all of your excursions show a one hour travel time each way is there is no longer any good snorkeling at Key West IMO. The best snorkeling in Florida is 100 miles north in Key Largo. If you still want to go snorkeling try Lost Reef Adventures in Key West.

The best snorkeling in Florida is 100 miles north in Key Largo.
:rolleyes:

How many spots in the keys have you checked out? I prefer the middle or lower keys. Unless you're looking for underwater statues, I'll put Sombrero off Marathon, or Looe off Big Pine, up against anything Key Largo has to offer. :cool:

Just an opinion as is yours mine is based on 50+ years of enjoying the Keys. We each have our own favorite places. Glad to hear you are also enjoying the Keys too.