Violent Crime on Cruise Ships

crewzr

^ Yep, I just saw that. I think OP has just scared herself silly about their first cruise. She doesn't know what to expect, and so she expects the worst. Very sad to know she is worrying about this on top of planning a wedding. :(

Apparently you are making an assumption about HIM (this is what he said to me LOL). It's the GUY doing this!

Ultimate answer - no you can not be confidant that you will be safe. In today's world, can you be confidant anywhere - mall, movie theater, school, etc.

Can you be confidant that you will be as safe on the ship as anywhere else - yes.

If you want absolute safety, build a strong room in hour house; never leave it; and hope that an asteroid does not hit your house.

I have done trips where if something happened, I would die. You need to balance risks versus rewards.

DON

This reminds me of a news story a few days ago. A drunk driver lost control of his car and drove into a house, killing someone while they slept.

We actually had a delivery van lose its brakes on a hill near our house, the van flew down the hill (the driver tried to jump into the van but only succeeded in being run over the trunk) and up our driveway and hit the corner of our house, right where my sister's bedroom was. Fortunately she wasn't in bed (as that was the part of the room that got hit), but she was in her room. She didn't sleep in that room for a long time (and we didn't blame her) and was allowed to have the renovated room painted in lavender with a lavender carpet -- which wouldn't have been my father's choices.

So you might not even be safe at night. Sweet dreams.

Ultimate answer - no you can not be confidant that you will be safe. In today's world, can you be confidant anywhere - mall, movie theater, school, etc.

DON

Just to nitpick, you CAN be confident that you will be safe, wherever you may be. But you might be wrong. :D

Ah yes.:)

The two-dollar question: What if you don't have confidence in your confidant?

Just to nitpick - Dictionary definition of confidant -

"con·fi·dant noun \ˈkän-fə-ˌdänt also -ˌdant, -dənt\

: a trusted friend you can talk to about personal and private things"

DON

Edited by donaldsc

I am about to go on my honeymoon cruise on the Royal Princess in February and I am a little concerned, after seeing some alarming information online regarding violent crime on cruise ships.

Per the “Cruise Vessel Security and Safety Act” (H.R. 3360), cruise ship companies are required to report crime statistics. I looked over the stats on the US Coast Guard website and saw that cruise companies reported MANY sexual assaults over the past couple of years, since H.R. 3360 was passed.

I’m not sure if all of the information below is accurate, but this is what I have found on online news reports and various other web pages:

- When you are on a cruise ship, you are under the laws of the country where the ship is registered (not the US). For example, the Royal Princess is registered in Hamilton, Bermuda. When we step on board the Royal Princess in February, the laws of Bermuda apply and the US has no jurisdiction regarding any crimes that are committed while the ship is out at sea.

- Cruise line employees are hired from non-US countries. Background checks are not part of the hiring process, so it is possible that many cruise ship employees have a criminal record.

- Most reported violent crimes on cruise ships are committed by ship employees.

- Although there is security personnel present, no REAL law enforcement is on board cruise ships while they are out at sea.

- The deadbolts on the cruise ship doors are pretty much useless, since a lot of ship employees have pass keys that will not only open stateroom doors, but will also bypass the deadbolts.

- Per several online news reports, few (if any) perpetrators of violent crime on cruise ships are prosecuted and convicted. In an online interview, one lawyer who specialized in dealing with cruise ships said that in his 30+ years in the business, he had only seen one cruise-related violent crime conviction. He stated that the perpetrators are often fired by the cruise line and returned to their home country, where they get off Scott-free. By the time that happens, it is impossible for US authorities to do anything about it. He said that cruise companies do this to avoid bad publicity.

Does anyone else out there have safety concerns? What are cruise companies doing to ensure the safety of their passengers? Considering the info above, can I be confident that my fiancé and I will be safe on our honeymoon cruise?

I've read what some people have said and as a law enforcement officer you have valid concerns. What I would do is just stick with your fiancé throughout the cruise and you should be fine. Crimes on ships can't be investigated by security guards, but that's what's on the ships.

My wife and I have cruised 8 times and I'm always with her on the ship. I don't know anyone's criminal history who works on the ship or the passengers so I don't trust anyone. I don't go around paranoid either, but I have a good time and don't take insane risks because I'm not on USA soil. Hope you have a great cruise.

I've read what some people have said and as a law enforcement officer you have valid concerns. What I would do is just stick with your fiancé throughout the cruise and you should be fine. Crimes on ships can't be investigated by security guards, but that's what's on the ships.

My wife and I have cruised 8 times and I'm always with her on the ship. I don't know anyone's criminal history who works on the ship or the passengers so I don't trust anyone. I don't go around paranoid either, but I have a good time and don't take insane risks because I'm not on USA soil. Hope you have a great cruise.

Exactly. No vacation is going to 100% safe. There is always a chance of crime. Whether it's a trip to Disney World or a vacation on board a cruise liner.

Some of what the OP posted is true. I know for a fact that with RCCL They do background investigations on all probable employees before they are hired to work abroad. But being in Law Enforcement we know sometimes things fall through the cracks on occassion.

To the OP. A cruise vacation, IMO, is the absolute best vacation one can have. Don't get cold feet listening to what the media plasters over the internet or on television. Most people are on board for the same reason you are, to get a break from reality. Just remember one thing. Don't be complacent.

Exactly. No vacation is going to 100% safe. There is always a chance of crime. Whether it's a trip to Disney World or a vacation on board a cruise liner.

Some of what the OP posted is true. I know for a fact that with RCCL They do background investigations on all probable employees before they are hired to work abroad. But being in Law Enforcement we know sometimes things fall through the cracks on occassion.

To the OP. A cruise vacation, IMO, is the absolute best vacation one can have. Don't get cold feet listening to what the media plasters over the internet or on television. Most people are on board for the same reason you are, to get a break from reality. Just remember one thing. Don't be complacent.

No one knows for sure if they do thorough background checks on employees. We would hope that they do, but they don't do background checks on passengers. Yea, the passengers pay good money to cruise, but you never know everyone's true intentions. Just be safe whether on land or at sea

DW and I have spent some 600 days at sea on 61 cruises on most major cruise lines over the last 25 years. For many of those years we also brought our 2 daughters with us. Never once have we experienced or witnessed any violence or assault, or felt insecure in any way. The worst thing that ever happened to us was when I left my nylon shell sitting on a chair in the internet café on the Emerald Princess and when I returned an hour later it was gone. DW said if was totally my own fault for being so forgetful! :o So as far as safety goes, I'd choose a cruise over a land vacation any time.

Use common sense.

Don't get intoxicated to the point that you lose said common sense.

Keep valuables in the cabin safe when you are not in the cabin.

Don't wander around passenger decks other then coming and going on your own deck. You have no reason to do so.

Don't leave your wallet on a bar, table etc. unattended.

Keep track of your stuff.

Don't leave a drink unattended and then come back to drink it.

Say "please" and "thank you".

Use common sense. :)

I cruised the Royal Princess just about a month ago. I never felt unsafe. In fact quite the opposite. I felt as if the crew went out of their way to ensure my comfort and well-being. Practice common sense as others have mentioned and open yourselves up to experiencing a fantastic honeymoon on a very beautiful ship. I can't wait to go back on her. That said, I'm sailing the Ruby next week. It will be my fifth cruise in a year across 4 lines. Royal Caribbean, Holland America, Carnival and Princess. The only ship I might have felt slightly concerned about safety was on Carnival because of the party atmosphere, but once on board, any concerns I had quickly disappeared. My point is, crime can happen anywhere and if there was any discontent I would not be cruising this often. However, using good judgement, knowing your surroundings, not drinking till you pass out, are things you should do in general, just stick to it on the ship. I've never had a steward enter without knocking, and hubby has left me in the stateroom many a time. I've wandered the ship alone at all hours. The staff on a cruise ship, particularly from poorer countries more than likely won't do anything to jeopardize a job that feeds their family back home . Congratulations and I know you will fall in love with the Royal Princess!

Let me make sure that I understand this. If you are on say a 7 day cruise, your wife is at your side and never alone for the entire 7 days. To me, this is frightening. I would be afraid to ask my wife what she would do to me if I tried this.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Let me make sure that I understand this. If you are on say a 7 day cruise, your wife is at your side and never alone for the entire 7 days. To me, this is frightening. I would be afraid to ask my wife what she would do to me if I tried this.

DON

Good point. If I stuck like fly paper to my wife for the entire cruise she would get violent with me!

Here's an option.... don't go. If you are concerned... stay home. I don't understand why someone would book a cruise and then ask everyone else if they will be safe?:confused: Why didn't any of these concerns get addressed before you decided to cruise??? Just curious...

Approximately 66% of rape victims know their assailant. (2000 NCVS)

Approximately 48% of victims are raped by a friend or acquaintance; 30% by a stranger; 16% by an intimate; 2% by another relative; and in 4% of cases the relationship is unknown. (2000 NCVS)

About four out of ten sexual assaults take place at the victim’s own home. Two in ten take place in the home of a friend, neighbor or relative. One in ten take place outside, away from home. And about one in 12 take place in a parking garage.

More than half of all rape/sexual assault incidents were reported by victims to have occurred within one mile of their home or at their home.

The average age of rapists at arrest is 31. Fifty-two percent are white; twenty-two percent of imprisoned rapists report that they are married. (SOO, 1997)

In 2011, in incidents of murder for which the relationships of murder victims and offenders were known, 54.3 percent were killed by someone they knew (acquaintance, neighbor, friend, boyfriend, etc.); 24.8 percent of victims were slain by family members. The relationship of murder victims and offenders was unknown in 44.1 percent of murder and nonnegligent manslaughter incidents in 2011

..so by statistics, I would feel safer on a cruise ship than at home..

Do you take insane risks when you are on US soil?

In my opinion, you just need to be aware of your surroundings no matter where you are. Don't create an opportunity for something to happen.

Several crimes I read involved teenagers. A girl wandered on the top deck at midnight by herself and was raped. Her parents did not know about it until several months later and reported to the cruise line.

No matter if you are on a cruise or in your own neighborhood, anything can happen. Just be vigilant where you are and don't give the bad guys any opportunities.

To the OP, do you search all the crime stats before you take a land city break? Why wind yourself up this way?

I have witnessed a crime on a ship and the passengers were the ones who jumped on it to stop it quickly, with security acting swiftly and giving confidence to passengers that these matters are handled well. After 30+ cruises all it did was give me more confidence of safety - wish the police acted as quickly and as professional as the cruise line did

I feel a lot safer on a ship than I do in any foreign country

go and have a great time

DON

Umm yea she's my best friend. Been together for 15 years. Lol she enjoys my company and I enjoy hers. Nothing wrong with that.

In my opinion, you just need to be aware of your surroundings no matter where you are. Don't create an opportunity for something to happen.

Several crimes I read involved teenagers. A girl wandered on the top deck at midnight by herself and was raped. Her parents did not know about it until several months later and reported to the cruise line.

No matter if you are on a cruise or in your own neighborhood, anything can happen. Just be vigilant where you are and don't give the bad guys any opportunities.

I agree with everything you said.

No one knows for sure if they do thorough background checks on employees. We would hope that they do, but they don't do background checks on passengers. Yea, the passengers pay good money to cruise, but you never know everyone's true intentions. Just be safe whether on land or at sea

This paragraph makes me think of the obligatory nice, but dishonest character in many an ensemble movie. You know, the guy who packs the towels and anything else not locked down into their suitcase. Near the end of the movie, somehow his suitcase pops open, and his thefts are discovered.

DON

It used to be that my hubby and I would be glued at the hips during a cruise. But during our last few cruises, we would have our own things to do (he would go to the gym or go play his guitar someplace, and I would go to a trivia match or hula class). We would still spend most of our days and definitely nights (we'll decide on which show or lounge to go to), but it's much more healthier not to feel that we have to be with each 24 hours/day for a two-week cruise.

This paragraph makes me think of the obligatory nice' date=' but dishonest character in many an ensemble movie. You know, the guy who packs the towels and anything else not locked down into their suitcase. Near the end of the movie, somehow his suitcase pops open, and his thefts are discovered.[/color']

It used to be that my hubby and I would be glued at the hips during a cruise. But during our last few cruises, we would have our own things to do (he would go to the gym or go play his guitar someplace, and I would go to a trivia match or hula class). We would still spend most of our days and definitely nights (we'll decide on which show or lounge to go to), but it's much more healthier not to feel that we have to be with each 24 hours/day for a two-week cruise.

I like how everyone adds words like glued and not healthy just because my wife and I love spending time with each other on a cruise. We're on different schedules at home and also raising 2 kids. Any alone time we get, we love to spend it with each other. What's so unhealthy about that? 15 years together! Lol unhealthy? Doubt it, we call it love.