Sort of cruise related...rental vs. bringing stroller for post WDW stop?

moesyk4

Our DS just turned 4 and we are going back and forth about bringing a stroller with us on our trip. He is fine walking for several hours say, at the zoo or museum...he does fine in a stroller too, but he's not one that complains after 5 minutes or anything to sit down. We own about 5 different strollers b/c we have 2 foster babies, but most are huge (sit n stand, double, etc.) that we wouldn't take, so our own option would be a regular single Graco stroller, which is still quite large, or a tiny umbrella stroller. The umbrella stroller is small...all over. I have to hunch to push it and I'm 5'7"...DH is 6'3".

I don't forsee any need for it on the cruise itself...we purchased FTTF so no waiting in line without being able to sit, all of our excursions we are picked up at the pier, etc. But, we are driving from Miami to Orlando after the cruise to go to Disney 3 days afterwards. Here, obviously, I think a stroller would be a necessity.

So...right now our choices seem to be bring the Graco and lug it through the whole trip to use the last 3 days, bring the handy umbrella but spend 3 uncomfortable days hunched over to push it at Disney, purchase a cheap or used stroller that would fit our needs better (smaller but still easy to push), or rent while there...stroller rentals look to be anywhere from 5-15 a day depending on where you rent from.

We haven't ever been to Disney as adults so we are clueless...any thoughts? Are we missing anything about the cruise where a stroller would be nice? Thanks!

bring the umbrella stroller for the ship. It is handy when they fall asleep in the youth program at night. It is a long walk from the youth program to the cabin (sometimes) and this way you aren't having to carry him.

As for Disney- rent one once you get there. They are pricey (around $30) but they serve two purposes. A. they make it harder to lose your child and B. They will help with the back issues you mentioned.

I rented a stroller at Epcot when my son was 4 and was glad I did. There is a tremendous amount of walking for a four year old at the parks.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

Get an inexpensive umbrella stroller for the entire trip.

We go to Disney regularly and purchased an inexpensive umbrella stroller at Target specifically for this. We took the same stroller on Allure earlier this year. We only used it once or twice on the ship, but we were glad to have it those few times. It was very easy to store in the cabin.

At Disney, the stroller is especially helpful during crowded times. DD (nearly 3) doesn't stay in it all the time, but uses it when tired or it's very crowded.

I've seen a lot of people purchase these inexpensive strollers (about $20) and then leave them behind after their vacations.

One thing to keep in mind about the rentals at Disney (besides $15 per day cost) is that they are made of hard plastic--no padded seat, etc. They are low to the ground & kids have climb over the sides in and out (nothing that lifts up to let them out)--they just seem very awkward to me.

We are leaning towards renting...we won't be returning to Disney anytime soon so I just can't seem to justify purchasing yet another stroller...we found a place that would be less than $20 for the whole trip, so it seems worth it to go that way. Thanks guys!

We took our Maclaren and an extra sunshade, which was great because it was a stroller we like and use regularly, it folded up and fit under the bed, and the sunshade made it manageable at WDW (also the storage basket was a huge benefit!) If you don't have an umbrella with these features, i would probably bring your umbrella on the cruise (as a back-up/just-in-case), but rent a nice stroller for Disney. You are walking a lot and don't want to be hunched over and in pain, and a good sunshade is also key depending on when you go. As others have mentioned, there are lots of non-Disney stroller rentals in Orlando renting high quality strollers for a decent price (plus then you don't have to waste precious time after the park opens picking up a strollers).

We do Disney a lot. (We live in FL). We always bring our BOB. It's never been stolen. We've brought the BOB on several cruises as well. We only used it for embarkation/debarkation and in port. We stashed it under the bed otherwise. You won't really need it on the cruise, but you will want the full size at Disney. You'll want the sunshade, the recline, the storage space and something that is easy to walk with. The rentals in the park are hard plastic and look totally uncomfortable. There are a couple companies that will rent you a nice stroller and bring it to the hotel for you too.