Opinion on cruise line for full transit cruise

Rogueperson

I'm glad I found this thread here. My fiance' and I are looking to do a full transit for our honeymoon. We're looking in the fall of 2015, so right now, the schedules aren't even posted yet.

So far, we've seen most of the main line cruise lines do this a couple times a year with a few ships.

Both of us are in our early 40s. Which cruise line do you recommend. With my cruise experience, I have found that Princess has the best atmosphere for a honeymoon. However, I also have done Celebrity which has great food onboard. Those are the two I'm leaning towards at this time, but I wanted to see what people here thought. I even looked at Holland America, but I get the feeling that this line doesn't quite cater to my age range as well as the other lines.

Edited by Rogueperson

While I believe any of the lines would do a decent job for a Canal cruise, on a longer cruise like this, I would opt for a product that you have had experience with. If you have been satisfied with X and Princess from previous cruises, I would make them my first choices. In previous years both those lines offered numerous dates to choose from. The Canal cruise season starts in September when the cruise lines shift from the Alaska market back to the Caribbean, however the greatest selection of the Canal transits will begin in the November time frame.

First on Celebrity and then on Princess. Although the wife and I have pretty much settled on Princess as our line of choice I give Celebrity the nod for the canal trip. I say this because the speakers we had on board prior to the day in the canal were far better than the ones Princess had and the narration as we went through was better as well. This might just have been a one off based on individuals and certainly did not turn us away from Princess.

While I believe any of the lines would do a decent job for a Canal cruise, on a longer cruise like this, I would opt for a product that you have had experience with. If you have been satisfied with X and Princess from previous cruises, I would make them my first choices. In previous years both those lines offered numerous dates to choose from. The Canal cruise season starts in September when the cruise lines shift from the Alaska market back to the Caribbean, however the greatest selection of the Canal transits will begin in the November time frame.

That's my quandary. Price wise, they all fall very similar surprisingly. And as you can see with my signature, I've been on 5 different cruise lines and the problem is all 5 have made wonderful impressions on me. It seems now Im comparing ships. Island Princess, Coral Princess, Celebrity Infinity, Legend of the Seas, Carnival Legend. Norwegian Pearl or Sun.

On the official reviews, island and coral princess has very high scores compared to other ships that do the canal.

That's my quandary. Price wise, they all fall very similar surprisingly. And as you can see with my signature, I've been on 5 different cruise lines and the problem is all 5 have made wonderful impressions on me. It seems now Im comparing ships. Island Princess, Coral Princess, Celebrity Infinity, Legend of the Seas, Carnival Legend. Norwegian Pearl or Sun.

On the official reviews, island and coral princess has very high scores compared to other ships that do the canal.

The Island and Coral have one feature that sets them apart from the others in my opinion.

That is the small viewing decks both forward and aft that other ships do not have.

Most of the ships will open the deck at the bow for passengers while transiting the canal, but the decks on the two Princess ships are available all the time and the rear decks have loungers that get very little use during the cruise.

We were in an inside cabin at the rear (700 series) and it was a few steps from our cabin to the deck. It was like having a huge private balcony most of the cruise.

If you choose Princess, look for a cruise that gives you a day at Fuerto Amador. You can take a HOHO bus that gives you a good look at Panama City and you can visit Miraflores locks as one of the stops.

Do yourself a favor and read David McCullough's book The Path Between the Seas before you go --- regardless of which cruise ship you choose.

Edited by swedish weave

I believe that X, Princess and HAL will provide the largest selections of dates to choose from. RCI at least this season is only providing 1 FL-CA-FL trip in the November time frame and another similar Canal cruise in March, so not many dates to select from them. While I have no personal knowledge, I have been told that NCL has eliminated most (or all?) destination/enrichment lecturers on their ships. I am sure they would have someone come aboard at the Canal to provide a narration of the transit, but not having the lecturers would be a minus for me. Even though many of these lecturers have been ho-hum, I still enjoy them.

I too vote for the extra day stop in Panama, Princess and HAL when they have that option stop at Ft. Amador on the Pacific side. Even though HAL was one of the first to offer the extra day stop, they (and Princess too) seem to not offer that option as much. On the other hand I'm fairly certain that X and RCI include the extra day stop on all of their Canal itineraries. The difference is they dock in Colon while Princess and HAL tender at Ft. Amador. The Colon stop may not seem as convenient as Ft. Amador as it takes about an hour to get to Panama City from Colon, when you consider tendering times and such, it will take almost that long to get to Panama City from the Pacific anchorage. I have to admit the view of the islands in the Pacific anchorage and the skyline of Panama City provides for some nice scenery.

Well, this post probably won't provide you with the "a-ha, this is it" moment you might like... just some more food for thought.:)