Norway cruise itinerary

Lars - Do you have any suggestions for a day in Trondheim?

Also, regarding Flam, all I read about is the train. Is there an opportunity to see beautiful scenery without taking the train ride?

Thank you.

Trondheim is the third largest city in Norway and its a very beautiful and charming city. You have lots of options there. Tronheim can easily be done by foot.

A must is to visit Nidaros Cathedral in middle town.

http://www.nidarosdomen.no/nb-NO/

Here you can also visit the archbishops palace and see the Crown Regalia.

If you want to walk there are various walking trails. One I would recommend is to visit the area of Bakkelandet. Its a quaint area characterized by wooden buildings and you will find small niche shops, cafes and restaurants dotted around the area. This part of the city is a strong part of Trondheim's cultural identity.

Visit the island of Munkholmen (The monk island). The monastery on the island dates back to the 11th century. In 1658 it was converted into a prison.

The island can easily be reached by boat:

Boat - 2 0 1 4

Daily from Ravnkloa

Every hour on the hour

18.05. - 31.05. kl 10.00 -16.00

01.06. - 17.08. kl 10.00 - 18.00

18.08. - 31.08. kl 11.00 - 16.00

04.09. - 07.09. kl 11.00 - 16.00

Prices:

adults kr 80,- r/t

http://www.trippsbatservice.no/en/

The Church of our lady which dates back to 1207.

The old town bridge is also one of those things you must have a picture taken on/next to:)

The wharves are also interesting. It will give you a idea how the waterfront along the River of Nidelva was back in the 17th/18th century.

I have mentioned just a few or to me the most important sites in Trondheim.

The link to the map will also show other sites in Trondheim

Link to Tondheim Map with attractions.

https://maps.google.no/maps/ms?gl=no&ie=UTF8&view=map&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=103705383547222439898.00046665f566683ed2adc&dg=feature

Edited by I-Cruiser

Lars - Do you have any suggestions for a day in Trondheim?

Also, regarding Flam, all I read about is the train. Is there an opportunity to see beautiful scenery without taking the train ride?

Thank you.

Opps, forgot to mention Flåm:)

You will have nature all around you so even though you dont take the train ride you will experience beautiful vistas.

For a dramatic viewpoint why not visit the Stegastein viewpoint?? The viewpoint is dramatic and so is the architecture.

(I include a pdf...Stegastein in tour/suggestion nr.2)

Visit the Fredheim cultural park.

You might want to take a cruise on the Nærøyfjord. This fjord is also a world heritage site.

If you want to hike there are various trails and walks both with/without a guide.

A fun thing to do is to take the "rallar train" - the train on wheels takes you around the village of Flåm.

http://discoverflam.com/en/rallartoget/

You also might want to visit the brewery. They make some of the best beer in Norway. The owner hails from NYC or SF...

http://www.visitflam.no/upload/Top-10-guide.pdf

Opps, forgot to mention Flåm:)

You will have nature all around you so even though you dont take the train ride you will experience beautiful vistas.

For a dramatic viewpoint why not visit the Stegastein viewpoint?? The viewpoint is dramatic and so is the architecture.

(I include a pdf...Stegastein in tour/suggestion nr.2)

Visit the Fredheim cultural park.

You might want to take a cruise on the Nærøyfjord. This fjord is also a world heritage site.

If you want to hike there are various trails and walks both with/without a guide.

A fun thing to do is to take the "rallar train" - the train on wheels takes you around the village of Flåm.

http://discoverflam.com/en/rallartoget/

You also might want to visit the brewery. They make some of the best beer in Norway. The owner hails from NYC or SF...

http://www.visitflam.no/upload/Top-10-guide.pdf

Hi Lars

Could you tell me more about this park , I googled it and did not find much. Were is it located , how do I get there and whats there. Might be a nice "free" way to spend some time in Flam.

Could you tell me if there is nice scenery around the Vatnahalsen Inn?

Thanks again, Karen

Fretheim cultural park is right behind the Fretheim Hotel. The hotel is in the middle of town.

The cultural park is a 1600 meter circular path/park..nature area with benches and viewpoints.

Its a activity park for families.

In the park you will also find a traditional group of houses (husmans plass) which houses a cafe and gallery.

Fretheim cultural park is right behind the Fretheim Hotel. The hotel is in the middle of town.

The cultural park is a 1600 meter circular path/park..nature area with benches and viewpoints.

Its a activity park for families.

In the park you will also find a traditional group of houses (husmans plass) which houses a cafe and gallery.

Thanks again Lars!

Do you think that is a nicer walk than the path to Otternes? Plus I have to save time for the Brewery or is that Geiranger?

I ended up booking the ships excursion on the Railway. I was talking to a customer of mine that waited to get tickets and stood in line for an hour and did not get railway tickets. So I bit the bullet... "a bird in hand is worth two in the bush". It costs more and there is also a stop at Vatnahalsen Inn for an hour to wander and have a snack.

Karen

Thanks again Lars!

Do you think that is a nicer walk than the path to Otternes? Plus I have to save time for the Brewery or is that Geiranger?

I ended up booking the ships excursion on the Railway. I was talking to a customer of mine that waited to get tickets and stood in line for an hour and did not get railway tickets. So I bit the bullet... "a bird in hand is worth two in the bush". It costs more and there is also a stop at Vatnahalsen Inn for an hour to wander and have a snack.

Karen

Karen - You MUST make time for the brewery in Flåm:D

Its beer in Flåm and chocolate in Geiranger :-)

I know Otternes is more scenic.

The cultural park is more of a r&r park for families to play, listen to stories/fairytales.....spend a nice relaxing day out in the nature.

Lars those pics are beautiful!

I don't think Otternes Farm is open when we go but if we walk toward it I hope to get pics like those. Wonderful, thanks for sharing.

Karen

I am glad you like them.

Unfortunately like so many other sights Otternes farm opens June 1 (to September 15 - 10 am to 5 pm)

• 2 months later...

...it's me again. I'd like to revisit the possibility of seeing Urnes Stave Church.

Skjolden is relative new cruise port further inside the Sognefjord then the more famous port of Flåm.

I Skjolden you have the option to visit:

1) Urnes Stave Church. This church was built in the Middle Ages, its all timbered wood walls and steeply sloping roofs.

I've found out that it's about 20km to the Church from the port. We would have to take a taxi. How agreeable would a taxi driver be to take us there? Is there any way to have a taxi come back to pick us up to return to the ship? I don't know what kind of 20km the drive would be....smooth highway or narrow bumpy road.....

I'm just determined to go see the Church and any info you could share on these finer details would be most appreciated. Thank you in advance for any more help.

Joyce :D

...it's me again. I'd like to revisit the possibility of seeing Urnes Stave Church.

Skjolden is relative new cruise port further inside the Sognefjord then the more famous port of Flåm.

I Skjolden you have the option to visit:

1) Urnes Stave Church. This church was built in the Middle Ages, its all timbered wood walls and steeply sloping roofs.

I've found out that it's about 20km to the Church from the port. We would have to take a taxi. How agreeable would a taxi driver be to take us there? Is there any way to have a taxi come back to pick us up to return to the ship? I don't know what kind of 20km the drive would be....smooth highway or narrow bumpy road.....

I'm just determined to go see the Church and any info you could share on these finer details would be most appreciated. Thank you in advance for any more help.

Joyce, the best thing would be to pre arrange a taxi. I think a taxi driver would have no problems taking you there and the road will be a highway type road. The 20 kilometer drive will take you approx 25 minutes each way.

The best option would be to have the taxi waiting for you while you are at the church.

Private taxis are: (only telephone numbers available)

Berge Pedersen, tel. 00 47 69 25 24 95 or 00 47 95 72 72 45

Magne Vaage, tel. 00 47 57 68 53 53

You could also try to email the tourist information at these addresses:

info@sognefjord.no

heidi@sognefjord.no

fatima@sognefjord.no

stale@sognefjord.no

I hope this helps a little.

Lars

Lars those pics are beautiful!

I don't think Otternes Farm is open when we go but if we walk toward it I hope to get pics like those. Wonderful, thanks for sharing.

Karen

Hi Lars I received this info from Ruth at Otternes Farms.

Yes, it's possible to walk, I guess it will take around 40-45 minutes, it's

a pleasant path along the fjord. We are not open every day in May, but will

open certain dates, due to cruise calls in Flåm. Taxi is probably possible,

or when you get to Flåm in the morning you can check on bus schedules at the

tourist information inside the trainstation, there you will find all

information needed :-)

Best regards

Ruth

Thanks Karen

Hi Lars I received this info from Ruth at Otternes Farms.

Yes, it's possible to walk, I guess it will take around 40-45 minutes, it's

a pleasant path along the fjord. We are not open every day in May, but will

open certain dates, due to cruise calls in Flåm. Taxi is probably possible,

or when you get to Flåm in the morning you can check on bus schedules at the

tourist information inside the trainstation, there you will find all

information needed :-)

Best regards

Ruth

Thanks Karen

Karen - thank you for sharing this information.

So its an easy walk if not long and the farm is only open when there is a ship in.:)

Joyce, the best thing would be to pre arrange a taxi. I think a taxi driver would have no problems taking you there and the road will be a highway type road. The 20 kilometer drive will take you approx 25 minutes each way.

The best option would be to have the taxi waiting for you while you are at the church.

Private taxis are: (only telephone numbers available)

Berge Pedersen, tel. 00 47 69 25 24 95 or 00 47 95 72 72 45

Magne Vaage, tel. 00 47 57 68 53 53

You could also try to email the tourist information at these addresses:

info@sognefjord.no

heidi@sognefjord.no

fatima@sognefjord.no

stale@sognefjord.no

I hope this helps a little.

Lars

Thank you Lars...that helps alot. I'll email them promptly!!

Finally! Booked our 'dream' Norway cruise, 16-days 'Land of the Midnight Sun' on Ocean Princess. Itenerary is Dover, Bergen, Hellesylt, Geiranger, Tromso, then up to area around North Pole [almost] on Spitzbarger for Magdalena Fjord and Ny Alesund, back to Honningsvag, Alta [new port], Gravdal [Lofotens], Stavanger, and back to London [Dover].

We got a great rate. This has been a bucket list destination for years. Only negative is wish they had not dropped Kirknes from previous years.

Leaves in about 5 weeks ........ cannot wait.

Doug