Msc Lirica just back from Xmas Cruise

tammez

Hi suron, on our recent cruise, deck 4 and 5 were used for embarkation on most days and I don't recall either of your suggestions being used for MSC excersions book in. The Lirica lounge is well out of the way so I would think this would be best with no 'through traffic'.

Include the Sheikh Zayed Mosque in Abu Dhabi and the Fjord Dhow trip in Khasab and of couse see as much as Dubai as possible.

Have a great trip.

B & S:)

Hi suron, on our recent cruise, deck 4 and 5 were used for embarkation on most days and I don't recall either of your suggestions being used for MSC excersions book in. The Lirica lounge is well out of the way so I would think this would be best with no 'through traffic'.

Include the Sheikh Zayed Mosque in Abu Dhabi and the Fjord Dhow trip in Khasab and of couse see as much as Dubai as possible.

Have a great trip.

Thanks for the information. I have been to Abu Dhabi when I took a cruise with RCI in 2013 so have seen the sights there - am still debating whether to splash out and have Afternoon Tea at the Emirates Palace Hotel - had a lovely e-mail from them with all the details and it does sound great so I may book that independently (cheaper than going with hordes of other with MSC tour). Others on the roll call have kindly booked me on the Dhow Cruise in Khasab and from other posts this is a very worthwhile trip. Can't wait for 5th March when I fly out to see the family who are based in Dubai.

How did you enjoy the cruise? Have you written a review?

Thanks again for the info.

Regards

Suzanne (Bristol, UK)

Edited by suron

Hi cruisers already been on Lirica.

Could you let me know if you can withdraw money on the ship, I have a Global Currency Card and obviously will need to have some cash on board. If you can is it Euro cash that you receive?

We are in Dubai a few days before cruising but will be getting Dirhams from the ATM machines there.

Thanks for your help

Jackie

Hi - have been following your suggestions for tours (these company's OWE you!) and have booked/planned the following:

Khasab - dhow cruise with Khourshem

Khor al Fakkan - will pick up bus to Oceanic Hotel (emailed but no response - hope they're still doing it!)

Muscat - booking 2 hour dolphin cruise with either Sidab or another company (15/17 OMR each) then maybe a mooch round souk

Dubai - 2nd Friday have booked brunch at 1pm at Burj al Arab then will visit Mall and have booked tix for 5.30 at Burj Khalifa to catch sunset (hopefully). Will watch fountains at 6.30 then go back onboard.

Dubai - arrival day is the problem... souks closed apparently but wanted to do a Creek crossing to see gold/spice souks. Then thought of a Yellow Boat trip but it's £30 each!!! Not sure an hour on an abra is what my daughter had in mind (20 something) but don't know what else to do - don't want to run ourselves into the ground as we will be minus sleep. Daughter would like to see Palm and Atlantis though but seems only to be Yellow Boats and nothing else!!

Any suggestions? Thanks Kelly

Hi - have been following your suggestions for tours (these company's OWE you!) and have booked/planned the following:

Khasab - dhow cruise with Khourshem

Khor al Fakkan - will pick up bus to Oceanic Hotel (emailed but no response - hope they're still doing it!)

Muscat - booking 2 hour dolphin cruise with either Sidab or another company (15/17 OMR each) then maybe a mooch round souk

Dubai - 2nd Friday have booked brunch at 1pm at Burj al Arab then will visit Mall and have booked tix for 5.30 at Burj Khalifa to catch sunset (hopefully). Will watch fountains at 6.30 then go back onboard.

Dubai - arrival day is the problem... souks closed apparently but wanted to do a Creek crossing to see gold/spice souks. Then thought of a Yellow Boat trip but it's £30 each!!! Not sure an hour on an abra is what my daughter had in mind (20 something) but don't know what else to do - don't want to run ourselves into the ground as we will be minus sleep. Daughter would like to see Palm and Atlantis though but seems only to be Yellow Boats and nothing else!!

Any suggestions? Thanks Kelly

I did this cruise with RCI last year and am going again (on Lirica on 15th March) in order to fit in all the sights I did not have time for in each port on my last cruise

You will get a great view of the fountains if you can get a table on the balcony of TGI Fridays (more reasonably priced meals than those restaurants at ground level which don't have such good views of these fab dancing fountains).

A visit to the Palm and Atlantis Hotel is easy to do via taxi - we actually swam with the dolphins there and had a great time in the Aqua Park but we did have lots of time to spare as my son and family are based in Dubai. Also enjoyed Ski Dubai within the shopping mall - it is awesome. It is possible to take a Dhow Cruise along the Creek (I have done both the lunchtime cruise

and the evening Dinner cruise and both were excellent value). In Abu Dhabi for me the highlight was a ship's excursion which include a visit to the mosque - it is truly spectacular.

The Oceanic Hotel are still doing the day pass whch includes lunch. The free shuttle leaves the port just after 8 a.m. and returns 3.30 pm. I had an e-mail from them only last week so you will be able to do this.

I am also doing the Dhow Cruise in Khasab and in Abu Dhabi I am opting for Afternoon Tea at the Emirates Palace Hotel. Am planning to visit the F1 Circuit with my twin grandsons during my forthcoming month's stay in UAE - they love it there so this might be an option for you if you do not fancy the City tour and mosque visit.

Which sailing are you on? If you are on 15th March then do join our roll call. We are planning to meet up on the day of embarkation. Details can be found on our Roll Call.

Hope your plans go well.

Regards

Suzanne (Bristol, UK)

Suron,

Yes, we thought the whole experience was brilliant and our full and I mean full, review will be in the 'Members reviews' shortly. Friends on board that had the Afternoon tea at the Emirates Palace said it was fabulous and worth every penny.

B & S

Glad you had a great time and I look forward to reading your review. Emirates Palace Hotel is about to be booked! Just hope I will have room for all the items which have arrived from Amazon which I have to take out to the family in Dubai - thank goodness I have a generous 40kgs luggage allowance!! Can't wait to fly out on 5th March and then set sail on 15th. I will have until 6th April in Dubai before returning home

Regards from Suzanne

Thanks Suzanne - can you tell me which email address you used for Oceanic Hotel, I didn't have any luck? I didn't realise there was only one bus from port at 8.30 though - will need to confirm this with them, glad you mentioned it!

We just received our tickets and note that we are 1st sitting - which I believe to be 6.45 with 2nd sitting at 8.45. 6.45 too early for us so will request a change now and see what happens - I wonder if there are any shows etc still on at 10.45 after a 2 hour dinner?

Thanks for the invitation to Roll Call - I'm travelling with my husband and daughter so will probably not make it but thank you for the kind offer to join the group.

May catch up at Oceanic or Dhow in Khasab - not long now!! :)

Kelly

Hi - may have missed it in your review but if on 2nd sitting for dinner at 8.45 was there still time to see shows in main theatre or acts in show lounges?

Was dinner roughly 2 hours?

Did you have any alcohol packages? We got one free (!) but not sure if the wine is going to be drinkable!!

Thanks

Hi

We were on this cruise last week and were on 2nd sitting which was at 9pm. Theatre shows were usually at 7.30 for our sitting - plenty of time to see the show and have a couple of pre-dinner drinks!

We had the package and found the wine to be OK - choice of 2 red, 2 white and 1 rose, also dry & sweet sparkling wines. They open a fresh bottle for you at dinner and - shamefully- we managed to polish off a bottle each every night:)

Hope this helps

Heather

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks Suzanne - can you tell me which email address you used for Oceanic Hotel, I didn't have any luck? I didn't realise there was only one bus from port at 8.30 though - will need to confirm this with them, glad you mentioned it!

We just received our tickets and note that we are 1st sitting - which I believe to be 6.45 with 2nd sitting at 8.45. 6.45 too early for us so will request a change now and see what happens - I wonder if there are any shows etc still on at 10.45 after a 2 hour dinner?

Thanks for the invitation to Roll Call - I'm travelling with my husband and daughter so will probably not make it but thank you for the kind offer to join the group.

May catch up at Oceanic or Dhow in Khasab - not long now!! :)

Kelly

The e-mail address for the Oceanic is reservations@oceanichotel.com The information I received from them indicates it is not necessary to pre-book, just pick up the shuttle at the port (free). Payment is made on arrival but is cash only. For 40 Dirhams each you can have use of the pool, beach, sunbeds ,Sauna, Steamroom and fitness centre but if you would like the buffet lunch included (which by all accounts was fantastic) then the price is 90 Dirhams per person. Don't know if there is a reduction for children, assuming your daughter is not an adult!)

You would be most welcome to come along and get to know the eight of us on the Roll Call when we meet between 2.30 and 3 pm on the day of embarkation in the Atmosphere Lounge on Deck 6. You could spot me as I will be wearing a pink artificial flower on my t-shirt/top!

I am waitlisted for 1st sitting. It is difficult to decide which sitting to opt for. With the second sitting the meal is over so late (no room left then for the scrumptious midnight buffets if you would like to partake!) and there is little time to take full advantage of the entertainment in various parts of the ship. Sometimes the live entertainment only gets going at 9 pm. I think provision is made as regards showtimes so that everyone has the opportunity to catch a show each evening.

We on the roll call are booked on the half day Dhow Cruise and this has been booked direct with Khourshem Tours. It was cheaper than going with MSC. If you have booked with them, then we may well be on the same cruise.

Where are you from? I am in Bristol and will be spending time pre and post cruise with son and his family who are based in Dubai permanently.

Should you want information on places to visit in Dubai then do log into our roll call where you may pick up some useful tips as we have been swopping ideas for a while now. The boards are so useful and people are so willing to share their ideas and experiences which makes life so much easier with planning.

Hope all your plans go well. We may meet up with you at some point?

Regards

Suzanne

To Suron and all the interested readers, we have at last managed to get our review published, evidently there was a large backlog to be approved. Most questions have been answered on this thread but if we can give any further info, we will be happy to help.

Have read your review - what an excellent review it is. So glad you enjoyed your visit to UAE. I fail to understand anyone who cannot enjoy all the wonderful sights there are on offer. This next visit will be my fourth and second cruise from Dubai - just cannot get enough of the area and with family based in Dubai this will be my holiday destination for a long time now. With son now having been given a permanent job with Emirates I will in future be in the very fortunate position of qualifying for staff travel concessions with the airline so could even plan to visit more places further afield with a stop-over in Dubai before heading off to other great cities.

Thank you for all the great information you have shared and the tips you have given me personally. Good luck with any future plans you make for cruising.

Regards

Suzanne :)

Suron,

Yes, we thought the whole experience was brilliant and our full and I mean full, review will be in the 'Members reviews' shortly. Friends on board that had the Afternoon tea at the Emirates Palace said it was fabulous and worth every penny.

B & S

I have gone ahead and booked the Afternoon Tea at the Emirates Palace Hotel - had a lovely e-mail from them confirming all the arrangements and was told that if I cared to arrive early someone at reception would be more than willing to arrange for me to have a guided tour of the hotel and all the facilities. Think it will prove to be a memorable experience. Just days now before I fly out - grandsons have lots organised for my pre and post cruise time with them - think I may need another holiday to recover! Will post a review on my return.

Hi

We were on this cruise last week and were on 2nd sitting which was at 9pm. Theatre shows were usually at 7.30 for our sitting - plenty of time to see the show and have a couple of pre-dinner drinks!

We had the package and found the wine to be OK - choice of 2 red, 2 white and 1 rose, also dry & sweet sparkling wines. They open a fresh bottle for you at dinner and - shamefully- we managed to polish off a bottle each every night:)

Hope this helps

Heather

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks Heather - not sure what to do about sittings for dinner now! Like to catch an act or show after dinner usually but seems like any entertainment (shows/acts) will have to be caught before dinner if on 9pm sitting? Will see what happens when we get there I expect!!

Glad the wine is drinkable - we can always have it for lunch and something stronger for dinner he he!!

The e-mail address for the Oceanic is reservations@oceanichotel.com The information I received from them indicates it is not necessary to pre-book, just pick up the shuttle at the port (free). Payment is made on arrival but is cash only. For 40 Dirhams each you can have use of the pool, beach, sunbeds ,Sauna, Steamroom and fitness centre but if you would like the buffet lunch included (which by all accounts was fantastic) then the price is 90 Dirhams per person. Don't know if there is a reduction for children, assuming your daughter is not an adult!)

You would be most welcome to come along and get to know the eight of us on the Roll Call when we meet between 2.30 and 3 pm on the day of embarkation in the Atmosphere Lounge on Deck 6. You could spot me as I will be wearing a pink artificial flower on my t-shirt/top!

I am waitlisted for 1st sitting. It is difficult to decide which sitting to opt for. With the second sitting the meal is over so late (no room left then for the scrumptious midnight buffets if you would like to partake!) and there is little time to take full advantage of the entertainment in various parts of the ship. Sometimes the live entertainment only gets going at 9 pm. I think provision is made as regards showtimes so that everyone has the opportunity to catch a show each evening.

We on the roll call are booked on the half day Dhow Cruise and this has been booked direct with Khourshem Tours. It was cheaper than going with MSC. If you have booked with them, then we may well be on the same cruise.

Where are you from? I am in Bristol and will be spending time pre and post cruise with son and his family who are based in Dubai permanently.

Should you want information on places to visit in Dubai then do log into our roll call where you may pick up some useful tips as we have been swopping ideas for a while now. The boards are so useful and people are so willing to share their ideas and experiences which makes life so much easier with planning.

Hope all your plans go well. We may meet up with you at some point?

Regards

Suzanne

Thanks Suzanne - I'll email the Oceanic and see what response I get.

Regards dinner - will see how it all pans out after first night aboard I guess - try it and see!!

We're from London - wish you a great time in Dubai with the family and thanks for all the helpful tips - will check the roll calls now and see what else can be gleaned!!

Kelly :)

Thanks Suzanne - I'll email the Oceanic and see what response I get.

Regards dinner - will see how it all pans out after first night aboard I guess - try it and see!!

We're from London - wish you a great time in Dubai with the family and thanks for all the helpful tips - will check the roll calls now and see what else can be gleaned!!

Kelly :)

On reflection I may stay with the first sitting as I think by the time the meal is over on 2nd sitting it is so late and I do like to be able to relax and enjoy things going on around the ship after a meal (and to get in a cocktail,or two, before retiring for the night!).

I am originally from North London and went to school in the East End, travelling in each day from there. I moved out to Friern Barnet on leaving school.

Hope you will be able to get a response from the Oceanic but if not I am sure it is OK just to turn up there. Hope too the Roll Call will give you some more info.

Am frantically now trying to decide which clothes to pack - at least staying with the family means I will be able to do washing. My luggage allowance of 40kgs seems to be gradually taken up with parcels arriving from Amazon and other bits and pieces the family have ordered for me to take out (as well as a request for tea bags, printer ink cartridges, contact lens solution, lego and easter eggs to name but a few!!).

Can't wait for 5th. Good luck with your final arrangements and we may meet up on board.

Regards

Suzanne

Thanks Heather - not sure what to do about sittings for dinner now! Like to catch an act or show after dinner usually but seems like any entertainment (shows/acts) will have to be caught before dinner if on 9pm sitting? Will see what happens when we get there I expect!!

Glad the wine is drinkable - we can always have it for lunch and something stronger for dinner he he!!

We were iffy about this too as on our previous (first) cruise we always had dinner first -but honestly, it worked fine this way! Hubby didn't fall asleep through shows this time - going before consuming a bottle of wine at dinner has its advantages!!:rolleyes:

Let me know if there are any other questions I can help with - for the record, we pre-booked Burj Khalifa tickets, did MSC Abu Dhabi half day city tour, Mystical Muscat tour with Crusing Excursions, full day dhow cruise with Kourshem (truly excellent!), walked to/from Oceanic Hotel for coffee/internet and spent the last day at Aquaventure at Atlantis. I also have the sheet with what time you need to vacate your cabin by flight number if you booked a package! We had a fabulous time!

Heather

Hi - how far was the Oceanic from Port? Courtesy bus leaves at 8am which is a tad early but if its nearby we can walk?

We've also booked Khourshem Tours Dhow cruise, for 1/2 day though and a dolphin cruise in Muscat booked through Sidab Tours - understand that its a nice walk from Muttrah to/from the ship?

In Dubai we've booked brunch at Burj al Arab then a look round Mall before Burj Khalifa which we've booked for 5.30 to catch sunset (hopefully). Then fountains and back to ship.

We're not sure whether to do anything when we arrive in Dubai, even though we have plenty of time, I'm not sure how we'll feel seeing as we land at 2am our time! Will probably see how we feel but a shame to 'waste' the day.

We would usually have a drink or two before dinner then catch a show or casino or something after dinner - What time do things wind down on ship? Is the disco lounge open with music till quite late? Are there singers/bands on still at 11/12pm?

How did you find the food? Have read some negative comments on other forums.

Hi - how far was the Oceanic from Port? Courtesy bus leaves at 8am which is a tad early but if its nearby we can walk?

We've also booked Khourshem Tours Dhow cruise, for 1/2 day though and a dolphin cruise in Muscat booked through Sidab Tours - understand that its a nice walk from Muttrah to/from the ship?

In Dubai we've booked brunch at Burj al Arab then a look round Mall before Burj Khalifa which we've booked for 5.30 to catch sunset (hopefully). Then fountains and back to ship.

We're not sure whether to do anything when we arrive in Dubai, even though we have plenty of time, I'm not sure how we'll feel seeing as we land at 2am our time! Will probably see how we feel but a shame to 'waste' the day.

We would usually have a drink or two before dinner then catch a show or casino or something after dinner - What time do things wind down on ship? Is the disco lounge open with music till quite late? Are there singers/bands on still at 11/12pm?

How did you find the food? Have read some negative comments on other forums.

Hi,

The Oceanic Hotel is a 2.5 mile walk along the corniche - took us just under an hour at a really leisurely stroll. There are swings, see-saws and adult workout equipment along the way so we made a few stops to try these out!

Not sure about walking in Muscat - we got the shuttle to the port gate and picked up our tour from there.

Not wishing to throw a spanner in the works, but on the first day in Dubai we had the compulsory muster drill at 5.30pm. We landed at 7am, immigration was painfully slow and it was 08.30 before we were on the transfer bus. There were queues at MSC check-in, although we were fortunate to have priority check-in for suites! We were on board and having breakfast just after 9.am and rooms were ready at 9.30am. After unpacking and freshening up we went out at 12pm, saw the fountains at 1pm and had Burj Khalifa tickets for 2.30pm - left the Mall at 4.30pm to get back in time for muster drill at 5.30, after which we were ready to shower for the evening and hit the bar! As you can see, the day goes quite quick and you will be tired!

Regarding evenings - we usually hit the bar 6.30-7.00pm for a couple of drinks (and crisps & pretzels!), went to the show at 7.30, back in the bar for another couple of drinks before dinner at 9pm. That took about an hour and a half then we'd hit another bar/disco etc and turn in midnight-ish. (Really, we aren't alcoholics - just like to let our hair down on holiday!!) Entertainment in the bars and the disco was still ongoing at this time.

Food was Ok - buffet breakfast is lukewarm but go to the dining room and they do an express breakfast which is cooked to order and hot - along with loads of other choices! Buffet lunch was ok but we tended to eat a lot of pasta & salad. Dinner - appetiser, soup, salad, pasta/risotto, main, desert - you won't go hungry!! We tended to try each dish and shamefully left quite a bit - it was just too much! Some we liked, some we didn't - but we appreciated the cultural differences and went with an open mind -we never got ill which is the main thing! The waiters work their socks off in the main dining room - hats off to them.

Think that's all - hope it helps!

Heb

Thanks Heather - very useful information.

What did you do on your last day in Dubai?

We usually like to 'park' ourselves on the deck above the pool - away from the noise a bit but still being able to see everything. Handy for pool bars/pizza and buffet etc but don't know if there are loungers up there? Every picture I've seen its been cleared for joggers/walkers?

If you have the departure times for each flight that would be very useful thanks - don't spose you have a wine list too??

Thanks

Kelly

To Suron and all you lucky cruisers going to Dubai, thank you for your comments on our review, we hope you enjoy your cruise as much as we did and we look forward to reading your reviews when you arrive home.

My bags are packed and just waiting for taxi to take me to London Hotel for overnight stay ready for my 6 a.m. check-in.

Think luggage allowance of 40kgs is going to be quite close with all items which son has ordered through Amazon for me to take out!!

Really looking forward to my time with the family and the cruise. Will report back with my review in mid-April

Also looking forward to meeting up with those on the Roll Call - even though we are small in numbers. Seems we have booked similar excursions so should have some fun together.

Am really looking forward to Afternoon Tea at Emirates Palace Hotel in Abu Dhabi which I have booked direct.

Thank you all for the many useful tips and advice - what would we do without such kind people on these Roll Calls and information boards?

Kind regards to all