Maui Whale Watch & Lahaina Tour

runninggalintexas

You'll be able to see lots of whales at that time of year from shore. I would consider renting a car and heading to west Maui.

There is a scenic viewing area not far from Maalaea, after you've made the turn to head to W. Maui, where you can often see whales (when we were there in April, there was a worker from the Pacific Whale Foundation stationed there for the day to provide info and help with whale spotting, and they even had binoculars for people to use.)

From there, I would continue heading all the way up to Kapalua and walk along the Coastal Trail once you get to Kapalua Bay - you'll likely get some good shows from there.

In addition to looking for whales, you can make some stops at interesting places (including Lahaina) and make a whole day trip out of it. Bring your bathing suits and towels too.

I haven't read any posts about watching whales from land. I am thinking it will be a much better experience to go on the boat. Maybe I should just get some Dramamine and go for it!

There are no organized whale watching tours from land if that's what you mean, but we often see them from land when we are in Hawaii, and we've had some great shows from the whales .... but as I mentioned above, you'll see them a lot closer up if you go by boat, so I would consider that a better experience. Dramamine sounds like a good idea.:)

Here's a link to a blog by a person who is currently vacationing on Maui and posting her blogs on the Maui Tripadvisor forum. The whale watching photos are incredible.

Edited by Susan-M