Great Ships for Kids?

avgsuperheroine

The kids are getting old enough that I'd like to start taking them with us when we travel more often. We have our first family cruise scheduled for February.

However, I love to plan (I love spreadsheets), so I've already got a list started of all the places I'd like to cruise. We've done RC (as a couple, small ship), and we are trying out DCL--what other cruise lines or ships are great for kids?

Our kids are 6, 8, 9 and I'm most interested in the age ranges they'll be in now until they become teens.

The kids are getting old enough that I'd like to start taking them with us when we travel more often. We have our first family cruise scheduled for February.

However, I love to plan (I love spreadsheets), so I've already got a list started of all the places I'd like to cruise. We've done RC (as a couple, small ship), and we are trying out DCL--what other cruise lines or ships are great for kids?

Our kids are 6, 8, 9 and I'm most interested in the age ranges they'll be in now until they become teens.

I've read that Princess and Holland America have good kids programs. One thing, HAL kids clubs can be quite small (in numbers) depending on the time of year and length of cruise.

I'd recommend the newest NCL ships. We've been on the Epic 3 times. Our daughter was 7, 8, and 9 years old. It's the perfect ship for that age. The waterslides are sooo fun. Many will suggest Allure or Oasis, but I disagree. We just did the Epic and Allure back to back.

The Allure is a fabulous ship to see, but My DD9 did not find a lot to actually do on the ship. She is a little too old to really be thrilled by the splash park and the carousel. She is too young to rock climb, repel, and zipline. She didn't like any of the shows - loved them all on the Epic. JMHO.

We were on royal caribbean freedom of the seas and would be perfect for kids! There were so many activities, different characters around the ship, and kids everywhere. We were there on our honeymoon in June and although we don't have kids, if we were kids club age again that is the ship to be on. We hAve done a few norwegian and a carnival but this royal caribbean was action packed for both kids and adults

I think some lines would be recommended by some, and rejected by others. It'll be more about what your kids like to do (do they need the water slides, rock climbing walls, or do they prefer arts/crafts, swimming?). Some ships will have a wide range of activities.

All of the mass market lines do have kids' facilities on all or most of their ships (some smaller ships may not have a dedicated area).

One major thing to consider is what time of year are you considering. If you go when there's a lot of kids, there will usually be more activities. And less chance that kids' groups will be readjusted for size reasons.

My kids sailed Norwegian Epic twice - they were 5 and 12 and then 7 and 14. They loved the ship, the activities, the pools. I love the freestyle where I don't have to get them to dinner at a specific time and don't need to wear more than a sundress or capris for dinner.

I sailed the Norwegian breakaway without my kids (oooooh they weren't happy) but then opted to book the Norwegian Getaway with them (sister ship to Breakaway). Great waterslides, mini golf, pools, activities.

I love NCL for my kids - it works for us!

Any cruise line that offers a lot of on-board bells & whistles: flow riders, zip lines, rock walls etc. would be great.

The more staid & traditional cruises -- Princess, HAL, Celebrity -- not so much fun for kids. Yes they have kids' programs but they don't pack the wow factor of the others.