Valor So. Caribbean Ports & questions

girlie3723

Hello! I am super excited to be booked on the Valor on 3/1.

I am wondering about the comments about price reductions approaching the cruise date. How does that work and how do I get those? Do I just price watch online and call Carnival if they post a price less then I paid?

Also, suggestions on things to do at these ports? (San Juan, St Thomas, Barbados, St Lucia, St Kitts, St Maarten)

We want to get the most out of our trip and avoid being held captive for unnecessary length of time on excursions. We are active and would enjoy outdoor/biking/shopping/sightseeing/hiking...I think we'd be better off managing our own time at all these ports.

Any advice on how the 10pm departure works from San Juan?

Thank you!

Here are some port suggestions:

San Juan - take a taxi or the green jitneys (free) and go up to the forts - either El Morro or San Cristobal. Both are great and beautiful views from up there.

St. Thomas - Go with Sunny Liston or Godfrey tours. They will bring you shopping, sightseeing and the beach for a great price & watch your things.

If you prefer to beach it on your own, take a taxi to Megan's Bay or Sapphire Beach.

St. Martin - I would take a taxi to Orient Beach (the Bikini Beach area). Make sure you arrange for your driver to pick you up at a certain time. The beach is amazing & there are watersports there. Just an FYI - there is some nudity on this beach, so if that bothers you, go to Little Divi Bay on the Dutch side.

Barbados - The Boatyard is a great beach - there is a fee to get in; or take an excursion that brings you sightseeing on the east coast. The Bathsheba area is stunning.

St. Lucia - make sure you have an excursion planned here. It is not the kind of island you can just walk out and arrange something. There are not many beaches and the best ones are at resorts. You might consider a resort pass here or some type of sightseeing tour which brings you to the sulpher springs/rainforest. We also had a swim in the natural baths with a waterfall.

Never been to St. Kitts. Hope this helps!

Hi. Just did this cruise in September as a back to back. I would agree with boatyard. I believe it is 12per person. Includes chair, shared umbrella, drink, acesss to water toys and a ride back to the ship. Also the staff aboard are amazing. I am sure you will have an awesome time.

I am wondering about the comments about price reductions approaching the cruise date. How does that work and how do I get those? Do I just price watch online and call Carnival if they post a price less then I paid?

Also, suggestions on things to do at these ports? (San Juan, St Thomas, Barbados, St Lucia, St Kitts, St Maarten)

We want to get the most out of our trip and avoid being held captive for unnecessary length of time on excursions. We are active and would enjoy outdoor/biking/shopping/sightseeing/hiking...I think we'd be better off managing our own time at all these ports.

Thank you!

Have done this cruise three times and we are booked again in May, one of our favorites. To get a price reduction, you would have originally booked early saver then as you see discounts on your room category you need to fill out the early saver form online and submit (just type in search box on Carnival sight). We already have a sizable OBC due to the reductions. Depending when you are going into San Juan, I would highly recommend the "flavors of San Juan Dinner tour" they also do for lunch, great food visit 4-5 different restrauants, drinks and history walking tour of Old San Juan. St Thomas - we take the ferry from Red Hook over to St Johns. Barbados - we went to the BoatYard and had a great time, parasailing etc. St Lucia - took a private tour (go to Trip Advisor, we used Spencer Ambrose), St Kitt's - Any cab driver will take you on a tour and then ended up at Shipwreck for lunch and afternoon on beach, they have women there giving massages on the beach best I have ever had. Or you can get a day pass at the Marriott. St Maarten we always rent jeeps and head to Margot for a little shopping and breakfast pastry then Orient beach and back to Phillipsburg for more shopping and take ferry back to ship.

We did this itinerary in 2011 on the Victory and it was our favorite! We plan to do it again in May 2015. I have a link to my review of that cruise with pics in my signature. We were in St. Maarten on a different cruise last October and we too rented a Jeep. We drove to Marigot for shopping and yummy breakfast pastries as well. After that we drove to Orient Beach before heading back to the ship. I believe we spent $92 for the jeep rental. There is one major road that circles the island so it is quite easy to navigate.

We just did some of these ports on Celebrity Summit. I love leaving from San Juan! Are you coming in early or leaving late? Definitely do a El Yunque hike or tour if possible. I also have two restaurant recommendations -- Jose Enrique and Ropa Vieja. Both are in the Condado area. We walked to Jose Enrique from the Radisson Ambassador (pre-cruise) and Ropa Vieja from La Concha (post-cruise).

In St. Thomas, we took a ferry to St John. From there, we took a taxi to Cinnamon Bay. Across the street, there is a nice little hiking path with some ruins. Very easy and very interesting. We then spent a few hours at the beach. Highly recommend.

In St Kitts, we did a rain forest hike/tour with Myislands Tours by Javin. I highly recommend this trip for active people, but this is not an easy, relaxing tour. I certainly felt it in my legs the next day. Here's a link to my tripadvisor review: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147373-d1945883-r187969349-Myislands_Tours_by_Javin-St_Kitts_and_Nevis.html. My St Kitts trip photo album is at https://picasaweb.google.com/116889349930358549335/MyislandsTourByJavin?authkey=Gv1sRgCMW7veXFhNSJdQ. These are all photos that they took during the day.

And while I can't speak for Carnival's departure process, for Celebrity, we were on the ship around noon. Rooms were ready around 1:30 and the muster drill was just before sailaway at 8:30. Sailing out of San Juan at night was very cool.

DSC_3870.JPG

DSC_3909.JPG

DSC_3887.JPG

DSC_3950.JPG

DSC_3997.JPG

Have fun!

To get a price reduction, you would have originally booked early saver then as you see discounts on your room category you need to fill out the early saver form online and submit (just type in search box on Carnival sight). We already have a sizable OBC due to the reductions.

You also can receive price reductions up to final payment on past guest, military,other rates. There are a couple of rates (super saver?) that do not allow you to receive price drops. As mentioned if you book Early Saver you qualify for price drops up until your sailing. Before final payment they will just adjust the balance owed otherwise you will receive on board credit. I have received price drops up until a couple days before the cruise.

This sailing was our first cruise and we loved it. I have a review in my signature. We would love to be able to do this itinerary again. My only recommendation is do a couple days pre or post cruise in San Juan if you can. We didnt and I regret not being able to see such a beautiful, historical place in detail.

When you arrive at the ship and get checked in, you can leave and go back out exploring and sightseeing. There's a CVS across the street where you can pick up sodas, water, and a bottle of wine if you wish. The muster drill is at 9:30 pm. Try to be back onboard by 8-8:30 pm if you do get off. Having a sailaway party at night is really cool. Are you flying in the day before or the day of? (Hopefully the day before!)

Here's what I did.

St. Thomas- taxi to Magen's Bay

Barbados- The Boatyard

St. Lucia- Spencer Ambrose

St. Kitts- Welcome Tours with Beulah

St. Maarten- taxi to Maho Beach

Check out my review for more information and tons of pictures. :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1801810

Thank you!

Girlie........

Not sure if you have the sail date right. The Valor is leaving San Juan on 3/2. We are booked on it. If this is the cruise you are booked on, make sure to check out our Roll Call. Several different suggestions as far as tours. DW and I will be arriving a couple of days early in San Juan to get in a bit of an early escape from the northeast winter before sailing. Shopping in St. Thomas (of course). Catamaran sail with the turtles in Barbados. Grand Piton hike in St. Lucia. A volcano tour/hike in St. Kitts. Deep Sea fishing for me in either St. Lucia or St. Maarten. Coastal hike in St. Maarten. We just figure to do something a bit different this trip as opposed to just hitting the beaches. Not that there is anything wrong with that. As far as San Juan and the 10 PM departure, if this is your first time there, take the opportunity to see the Forts or Old San Juan areas. You are able to get checked in and head off the ship until 8:30 or so.

Definitely do not be 'held captive' by ship excursions.

If you are on our sailing, look forward to seeing you on the Roll Call.

My hubby and I just got off the Valor today. It was a lot of fun; but Mother Nature was not nice to the Caribbean this week.

I recommend:

Godfreys in St Thomas

Cosol in St Lucia

Bernards in St Maarten (my favorite day)

In Barbados, we went on Elegance Catamarans to go snorkeling with the turtles and see the shipwrecks. It was a lot of fun on a beautiful boat with great food and drinks.

On the first day, you do not have to be on the ship till 8:30. People are checking in till then. The official opening show,etc are not until the 2nd night of the cruise.

Enjoy!

Make sure you take a power strip to add outlets. There is one for the entire cabin. Also, a duh moment...On the second to last night, I discovered a light switch on the wall above the bed under the big picture. How I didnt see it before is beyond me..but there you go.

MDR is open seating the first evening in San Juan, regardless if you have early or late assigned dining since everyone is coming and going at various times and off exploring in Old San Juan. We went to dinner after 8:00pm and were able to finish before the Muster Drill at 9:30.

Check the Ports Of Call board for tons of info on your ports. We had a fabulous time aboard the Celine catamaran in St Maarten; includes transportation, all drinks, great lunch and snorkel gear. Docks off 2 beaches and passes Maho/airport twice. Great day and we thought it was worth every penny.

Just returned from a thanksgiving cruiseon the valor.

Our activities:

San Juan-forts, free trolley or walk. We liked the smaller of the two, more photo ops

St Thomas-did nothing but have done Sunny Liston. He is really fun and will have others passengers wishing they were with you when you arrive back in port.

St Lucia-Spencer Ambrose land and sea adventure. Totally worth the money.

St Kitts-needed a day of rest, walked the port

St Maarten-Da Party Bus! Fun,fun, fun. Went with kids and they enjoyed it too. Free drinks, Maho beach and low flying planes, island tour

Barbados-Silvermoon-most expensive excursion but totally worth it about $90 for adults. Treated like a king or queen, food was amazing,drinks included (blended as well), swam with see turtles, ship wrecks and relaxing catamaran ride