Panama Canal Excursions - FLL RT, December 7-18, 2013, Coral Princess

TrnrMom

I thought (for a NY minute!) about canceling this excursion based on this review. I am so glad I didn't. Our experience was the exact opposite of OP's: the ferry was in good condition, wasn't packed, had air conditioning downstairs but was even more pleasant upstairs under the awning (with lots of empty seats everywhere except out in the sun in the front of the ship); there was plenty of food and drink throughout the voyage; we sailed right into the first Pacific lock and proceeded through to the Pacific Ocean with no waiting at any point; and had a nice relaxing [read: nap] bus ride back to the ship, where we arrived ahead of schedule.

Check the port schedule for your cruise. Coral Princess was the only ship doing a partial Panama Canal, so we had the ferry to ourselves. If several ships are in port that day, crowding (and the use of less desirable backup ferryboats) may occur.

• 3 weeks later...

No way would I have missed this excursion. It was great from the hour long bus ride to the ferry through beautiful country to the bus ride back to the ship. The experience of going through 2 sets of lock in a small ferry <small compared to a cruise ship> is not one to be missed. Reaching out and touching the walls of the lock is touching a piece of history. You really get a sense of just how big the project was when you are in the locks. We had the added experience of having a 30 foot sailboat go through with us.

So as I said, do not miss it.

• 1 month later...

I am interested in the Old Panama excursion. My Mom needs to take a wheelchair, but not use it all the time. She just uses it if walking a lot or quickly. Can walk up or down 5-6 steps at a time. Would the excursion you took work for a half walk/half wheelchair situation?

I can't comment on the Old Panama excursion on Princess-we did not do that.

We did the ferry boat excursion and I think I posted my opinions about that trip earlier.

I would still do it again if traveling with family/friends who have not done the Panama Canal.

Bathrooms were not handicapped equipped/accessible. While I personally had TP, I ALWAYS bring my own from Target,just in case! No matter where in the world I am!!!