Bragging about being rewarded for complaining.

cls711

Maybe the reviewers are sharing not as a brag, but rather as a sign of how seriously Celebrity takes complaints. I called down to guest services because my bedside lamp wasn't working, and told them to fix it on their own schedule. They sent me a bottle of wine to apologize. FOR A LAMP!!

I haven't written a review, but if I did and I included this fact, it wouldn't be to tell others how to get free stuff, it would be to show how Celebrity went above and beyond.

Just us, but we are embarrassed to get a reward for a complaint.

It has happened. We give the wine or whatever to the cabin steward.

-Marisa

That reminds me...we gave our bottle of sparkling wine to a table mate (whom we did not know until the cruise), who was brave enough to do the zip line...she was scared out of her wits, but said she would do it again once it was all over.

I posted a negative revue for a restaurant that I'd posted a great revue for a year earlier. My friends and I went there for dinner after a day-long Yoga session at a retreat. We brought a gal with us who had never been to that restaurant before and we'd been raving about it all day.

The place was nearly empty and one table had a reserved sign on it. There were plenty of other tables, but it took 10 minutes before we were seated. We sat there without so much as a glass of water and no table settings and no wait-staff attention for 20 minutes then we left. It was well into the dinner hour in a resort area and it was hard to find a place to eat.

I did a Trip Advisor review on the terrible service.

We heard from the owners with a litany of excuses for why the service had been totally missing. I was asked (I didn't bring it up) what they could to to make it up to us and I suggested they might want to comp us in some manner for our troubles. My thought was maybe a bottle of wine if we went back. That was the last I heard of them. The review gets a lot of hits and I'm sure it has affected their business.

I would have done a third review taking back the bad one, had they made an effort to win us back. They did not and the consequences are theirs to bear.

I posted a rather negative(though polite)review about a local Legal sea foods rest. near us. I was contacted by the mgr. who gave us a $25 gift card. The meal had been compped as well. Needeless to say the issues seem to be corrected & the food is excellent as it usually was.

Once my friend wanted to treat me to a meal in a restaurant. She tried to pay for the meal with a VISA gift card, which was advertised on TV as acceptable everywhere they take VISA credit cards, but not one restaurant employee could figure out how to use the card. She tried to pay with a Discover credit card, only to be told that they didn't take Discover credit cards. She managed to come up with enough cash. I wrote to the restaurant and suggested that they train their employees how to process VISA gift cards. I was very surprised to receive a $25 credit to return to the restaurant.

At another restaurant, I was with three people. Two of them ordered chicken parm, and the other one ordered tilapia parm. The waitress came over with three plates and slapped them down, saying, "Chicken parm, chicken parm, chicken parm." I said that one of them had ordered tilapia parm. It was impossible to distinguish the tilapia parm from the chicken parm. (I was glad that I had ordered something completely different.) My friend took a bite of her dish and said that it wasn't tilapia parm, so the waitress grabbed the plate and exchanged it for another plate that had been slapped down on the table, meaning that she gave someone chicken parm that was missing a bite. And she had no problem with it. I gave the restaurant a negative online review. I never heard from them.

At another restaurant, I was with three people. Two of us ordered ribs, and both of us wanted different sauces. There were five sauces to choose from. But a runner showed up with two plates of ribs and had absolutely no idea what kind of sauce was on each plate of ribs. The restaurant was set up in such a way that if more than one person at a table ordered ribs, it was guaranteed that he could not be certain that he was given the sauce he had ordered. I wrote to the restaurant and suggested that they do something about this. I never heard from them.

It's been suggested that people who claim that they didn't like a cruise they took were suffering from too high expectations. What some people don't understand is that you can have two people or two couples or two families on the same ship at the same time, but that doesn't mean that they are taking the same cruise, which would explain why some people say, "I don't know what he's complaining about! We were on the same cruise, and we had a wonderful time!"

Are your expectations too high if you go into the MDR during the appropriate hours for breakfast and ask for eggs, and the waiter moans and groans that he doesn't want to get eggs, because it will take too much time? The four of us at the table insisted on eggs anyway. There was nothing on the menu to indicate that if your waiter didn't feel like getting you eggs, you couldn't have them. At the same meal, we were told that they were out of V-8 juice. Out of it, on the first morning? They also objected when we asked for decaf instead of regular coffee. This did not get the cruise off to a good start. But I'm sure there were people on the cruise who raved about the wonderful waiter at breakfast who couldn't have done a better job and fussed over them and made everything perfect.

Are your expectatons too high if you go to the Atrium to listen to piano music, because the ship's newsletter said that there would be piano music at that time, only to find that there isn't any? And when you go to Guest Relations, the Guest Relations guy has no idea why there isn't piano music, so he makes a call and finds out that there isn't a piano player on the ship. And every time you go to listen to the string trio, they don't show up? And every time you go to listen to the acapella quartet, either someone doesn't show up, meaning the other three can't sing, or one of them is so late that the show is shortened? Someone who doesn't like music would never know and would insist that everything was just wonderful.

What if you're on a tender that while en route back to the ship crashes into some rocks? Are you expecting too much if you think that that shouldn't have happened? Someone who hadn't been on that tender would have talked about what a wonderful job the ship did with their tenders.

What's funny is that while Celebrity thought that the tender crashing into the rocks was serious enough that the Captain had a meeting the following day to apologize to us, it didn't seem to occur to Celebrity to offer any compensation. I would have been happy to receive a bottle of wine, or even half a bottle, assuming that my traveling companion and I had been given a bottle to share, but they didn't offer us even one penny. When other people on the cruise talked about the tender that crashed into the rocks, and I said that I was on it, they asked me if I had been offered any compensation. I told them that I hadn't been offered even one penny. It was the truth. It was also the truth that I didn't say a single word to the Captain or any of the other employees on the ship that they should give me something.

A couple of days after I got home, Celebrity called me to ask me for my story about what happened on the tender. I had not called or written them. I wasn't going to call or write them. But they decided to call me, so I told them what happened. A couple of days later, they called to tell me that they were going to give my traveling companion and me enough cruise credit to pay for a week's cruise to Bermuda, including port taxes and gratuities. We accepted.

I don't think we were wrong to accept what they freely offered. We never asked anyone for anything. I just wish that they had said something to us on the ship that we were going to be offered compensation. Then I wouldn't have gone around telling people after they asked that Celebrity hadn't offered us even one penny.

I posted a rather negative(though polite)review about a local Legal sea foods rest. near us. I was contacted by the mgr. who gave us a $25 gift card. The meal had been compped as well. Needeless to say the issues seem to be corrected & the food is excellent as it usually was.

I went to lunch at a chain Italian restaurant. I got there around 11:30, it was not busy. It took the hostess quite a long time to find which table she was going to sit me at. After I had sat down and ordered my lunch, the Manager came over and gave me a $10 gift card and apologized. She said she had witnessed how the hostess took so much time and that shouldn't have happened. I told her it wasn't necessary, using my standard line, I'm retired I've got all the time in the world. She insisted that I keep the gift card. It is one of the most frequented restaurants for me, just because of the great customer service from the Manager.

With regard to cruise lines. I think if they stop offering something up so quickly, many wouldn't expect compensation for small inconveniences. Large inconveniences, I'm all for the cruise line taking care of the passenger.

About 10 years ago I had an incident on an American Airlines flight out of Dallas. Readers Digest version is I got into a verbal altercation with an unruly and drunk passenger behind me that was kicking my seat. The flight attendant lied to the pilot about the situation and he had police waiting for me at the gate in Tampa. Turns out it was the flight attendants brother. When the other passengers left the plane and saw I was being questioned by the police, almost everyone came to my defense. The flight attendant even told the pilot I threatened her! Crazy! Within minutes I was free to go. I then went to the head gate agent and requested her name. That's when it got weird. They would not give me her name, only an incident number and the gate agents name. When I got home, I called the AA corporate office, told them what happened and all I wanted was a hand written apology from the flight attendant. A couple days later AA called me and explained what they had found out through their inverstagation. They apologized to me, but said they could not force her to write an apology because she was a union employee and they had no control over her! Within a week, American Airlines mailed me two roundtrip, first class tickets to anywhere they flew. I wrote a letter explaining I was not trying to shake them down for anything and put the letter and the tickets in an envelope and mailed them back. Never heard another word from them.

With regard to cruise lines. I think if they stop offering something up so quickly, many wouldn't expect compensation for small inconveniences. Large inconveniences, I'm all for the cruise line taking care of the passenger.

Several years ago, we were told by a CC hostess that a passenger on our Solstice sailing came up to her, told her that he was the top cruiser on board, wanted to be seated at the Captain's Table, the complimentary meal in the specialty restaurant, and a bottle of wine. She gave him everything he asked for even though he wasn't even close to being top cruiser on board.

I just could not comprehend why she would tell anyone of her capitulation to a demanding, undeserving cruiser. I believe she is no longer in that position with X.

Several years ago, we were told by a CC hostess that a passenger on our Solstice sailing came up to her, told her that he was the top cruiser on board, wanted to be seated at the Captain's Table, the complimentary meal in the specialty restaurant, and a bottle of wine. She gave him everything he asked for even though he wasn't even close to being top cruiser on board.

I just could not comprehend why she would tell anyone of her capitulation to a demanding, undeserving cruiser. I believe she is no longer in that position with X.

I would think that she wouldn't be with the cruise line any longer.

Besides, if someone was going to try and pull this off they certainly shouldn't have done so when you and Joanne were on board.

Like you I don't understand why she would "give in" to an overly demanding guest.

Edited by Welland
missing a word

Wow! I remember reading a post on here that someone was so upset because they were the second top cruiser and they were not acknowledged. Now, I'm sure all they wanted was to sit with the Captain and get a free dinner. Pretty sad at what lenghts some people will go to get something for free.

10deg?!?!? 10deg F!!! I would Demand compensation for that immediately....Maybe a cruise!!!

Den

You got to be friggin kidding me! That's positively balmy. Here's the forecast for my neck of the woods for the next couple of days:

TEMPERATURES WILL CONTINUE TO FALL INTO THE TEENS... 20S...AND 30S BELOW ZERO BY MONDAY MORNING. GUSTY WEST OR NORTHWEST WINDS COMBINED WITH THESE EXTREMELY COLD TEMPERATURES WILL PRODUCE WIND CHILLS OF 45 TO 65 BELOW...WITH THE COLDEST READINGS EXPECTED SUNDAY NIGHT AND MONDAY MORNING. WIND CHILLS COLDER THAN 50 BELOW CAN CAUSE EXPOSED FLESH TO FREEZE IN ONLY 5 TO 10 MINUTES.

So I think we move to the head of the line for any cruise compensation.

So I think we move to the head of the line for any cruise compensation.

Umm NO. Here is ours through early next week:

*6-12 inches of snow expected by SUNDAY EVENING. HIGH of 24 LOW 9 degrees

*Wind Gusts of 25-35 MPH Sunday night and into Monday. HIGH of 9 LOW -1

*WINDCHILL BETWEEN 20 and 30 BELOW starting on MONDAY. TUESDAY HIGH.LOW 6 degrees

*UNSAFE TO BE OUTDOORS MONDAY AND TUESDAY DUE TO EXTREME COLD CONDITIONS. HAZARDOUS DRIVING DUE TO DRIFTING AND BLOWING SNOW

I get to move to the head of the line for the first boat out of town to the Caribean. :D You are welcome to row with me! LOL

Edited by Clydesmom7865

Speaking of cold, I just can't imagine being a ticket holder at any one of the four NFL games this weekend, let alone being on the playing field!

But getting back to the subject, by and large it has been my observation that most cruisers, newbies and veterans alike, tend to roll with the punches and any "comps" or other gratuities are unexpected and a pleasant surprise. That's why those who insist on a free cruise because there was no ice in the water glass at dinner (or some such matter) are looked upon as unusual, not normal.

About 10 years ago I had an incident on an American Airlines flight out of Dallas. Readers Digest version is I got into a verbal altercation with an unruly and drunk passenger behind me that was kicking my seat. The flight attendant lied to the pilot about the situation and he had police waiting for me at the gate in Tampa. Turns out it was the flight attendants brother. When the other passengers left the plane and saw I was being questioned by the police, almost everyone came to my defense. The flight attendant even told the pilot I threatened her! Crazy! Within minutes I was free to go. I then went to the head gate agent and requested her name. That's when it got weird. They would not give me her name, only an incident number and the gate agents name. When I got home, I called the AA corporate office, told them what happened and all I wanted was a hand written apology from the flight attendant. A couple days later AA called me and explained what they had found out through their inverstagation. They apologized to me, but said they could not force her to write an apology because she was a union employee and they had no control over her! Within a week, American Airlines mailed me two roundtrip, first class tickets to anywhere they flew. I wrote a letter explaining I was not trying to shake them down for anything and put the letter and the tickets in an envelope and mailed them back. Never heard another word from them.

Two first class tickets....to anywhere! Wow! I don't think I would have sent them back!!!!

I was reading thru some Celebrity Cruise Critic member's reviews tonight and I am always so surprised that people almost seem to brag about what they are given when they complain. "I heard noise over my balcony and I got future cruise credit" "I smelled smoke and I got wine and chocolates" "I complained about bad service and got free specialty dining."

All I can think is just wow, really? It seems as if the goal to complaining is not to right a wrong but to see what freebies they may get. On our last Summit cruise a couple of months ago our Aqua class cabin had a mostly non flushing toilet. We had to notify guest services after our (very good) stateroom attendant could not get maintenance to fix it. It actually never flushed properly and maintenance had to work on it daily. But the hotel director kept calling, checking in and offering all sorts of freebies. We politely said "no thanks" just a flush is all we need. He seemed utterly amazed.

My favorite story is one from years ago when I was cruising alone with my young son, I think it was the Constellation. Well, on boarding day after an hour or so our sea passes stopped working to pay for things. We went to the desk and stood in line and then spoke to them and it was a mistake in the system, it took a while but they fixed it and said sorry. No big deal. Then it happened again. Back in line, get to desk and I smile and say "guess what?" they apologize again, it takes a while but they fix it again, I smile and said thanks, no worries, busy day, computers mess up, have a nice day. Later that night in our room we find cookies, chocolate strawberries and a model of the ship for my son, with a note that read "we rarely get happy smiling people at the "complaint desk" we appreciate you, you made our day" signed guest services staff.

If you're going to get a freebie, that's the way you should want to do it. :)

Isn't that refreshing....usually it's just the 'squeaky wheel" that gets oiled!!

Congrats!

Two first class tickets....to anywhere! Wow! I don't think I would have sent them back!!!!

American Airlines wasn't at fault. It was a older flight attendant that knew there was nothing anyobne could do to her. She was protected by the union. I wanted her to have to apologize. Didn't work out.

*WINDCHILL BETWEEN 20 and 30 BELOW starting on MONDAY. TUESDAY HIGH.LOW 6 degrees

*UNSAFE TO BE OUTDOORS MONDAY AND TUESDAY DUE TO EXTREME COLD CONDITIONS. HAZARDOUS DRIVING DUE TO DRIFTING AND BLOWING SNOW

I get to move to the head of the line for the first boat out of town to the Caribean. :D You are welcome to row with me! LOL

US National Weather Service Glasgow Montana · 4,627 like this

Yesterday at 1:34pm ·

So far today the Comertown Turnoff DOT site in Sheridan County, MT has observed the coldest WC value in the lower 48 states with -63F.

Nope, I get to move to the head of the line--this is a few miles SOUTH of our farm!!

Edited by suzzek

Oh stop whining!!!! :confused: Send some of the cold here. We have had 40.5C or 103F and high humidity - birds are dropping out of the sky and we've had entire fruitbat colonies die. Add to that smoke from a large bushfire blanketing our neighbourhood. That should get me to equal first in the line:p

Edited by NearEnough

Great thread with great posts.

I will always accept an offer of compensation.

I don't always go looking for it but rejecting someones offer to make amends can be seen as rude and holier then thou.

On my Summit cruise just about everything was great except the Celebrity post cruise excursion.

The short story was the mini-bus broke down after barely limping to the nature park.

The replacement bus was small and dirty but we got most of the tour after a 90 minute wait.

Once home I politely complained to customer service after stating it was our best cruise ever.

As soon as I finished my story the X rep apologized and credited us for the full cost of the tour.

I was grateful and thanked her. The thought of refusing the offer (or asking for more) never occurred to me.

Edited by richstowe

richstowe,

We had much the same sort of experience on an excursion that you did. Coach broke down. Replacement transport was old and smaller than require. I had to sit sideways on a jump seat and at 6'3" this was most uncomfortable. At every turn my wife water sloshing on her from a defective air conditioning units.

On return to the ship I had a quiet word with customer service (first complaint in 10 cruises), didn't ask for or suggest a refund....had 50% of cost credited to my onboard account.

On my first cruise (2004 Carnival Inspiration) at the disembarkation talk the Cruise Director said crew members often hang copies of positive comment cards on the walls in their rooms. One assumes the same thing happens on all cruise lines. When you're far from home and family, presumably positive feedback can be a real morale booster.

I own a business and can tell you that most customers will not take the time to comment. Rather they just move their business elsewhere (some estimate that for every complainer/commenter, 12-20 don't bother). Because owners know this, it is custom to appreciate and reward the commenter. I make it my policy to ask my clients for honest feedback.

Here is the feedback i gave Celebrity at the Customer Relations desk and subsequent written survey. My comments on the recent Celebrity Solstice Dec 22 Sydney-Auckland cruise included:

Hair (not mine) in my food - two different meals;

A piece of medal 1/2 inch long in my waffle;

Cut my arms on deck balcony railings;

An unusable balcony during much of the cruise due to cigarette smoke (me in a bump-out cabin on deck 8 in a 1A cabin with smoke from legal smoking on Deck 5). They offered to move me to an inferior (long walk) location, which was rejected;

Inaccurate cruise information about fjord passage (multiple crew asked same question, all responses turned out inaccurate);

Mischarged for Specialty dinner (which they removed from my bill);

Sodas at the end of their expiration date (which meant they didn't taste right);

Being charged $3 for soda to be delivered to stateroom after catching a cold/fever but paying for the premium package (this policy encourages sick passengers to mingle with the healthy);

Extensive complaints with shore excursions (comments were delivered verbally and in writing)

Did i receive anything - yes. A bottle of champagne that i sent back (i dont drink Champagne) but i thanked my cabin attendant for the offering. Then 3 days later a plate of chocolate covered strawberries arrived - but went uneaten as i was sick in bed.

I wasn't asking for anything at the time - just the cruise i paid for. Now, I might feel differently about Celebrity, given my compounding list of issues, if a senior staff person had talked to me.... My total Celebrity bill came to $6,800 not including airfare (cruise, beverage and excursions) for a solo traveler.

I wont be on Celebrity again because a simple apology or explanation was never offered (at least to date).

An unusable balcony during much of the cruise due to cigarette smoke (me in a bump-out cabin on deck 8 in a 1A cabin with smoke from legal smoking on Deck 5). They offered to move me to an inferior (long walk) location, which was rejected;

Inaccurate cruise information about fjord passage (multiple crew asked same question, all responses turned out inaccurate);

Sodas at the end of their expiration date (which meant they didn't taste right);

Being charged $3 for soda to be delivered to stateroom after catching a cold/fever but paying for the premium package (this policy encourages sick passengers to mingle with the healthy);

Extensive complaints with shore excursions (comments were delivered verbally and in writing)

Did i receive anything - yes. A bottle of champagne that i sent back (i dont drink Champagne) but i thanked my cabin attendant for the offering. Then 3 days later a plate of chocolate covered strawberries arrived - but went uneaten as i was sick in bed.

I wasn't asking for anything at the time - just the cruise i paid for. Now, I might feel differently about Celebrity, given my compounding list of issues, if a senior staff person had talked to me.... My total Celebrity bill came to $6,800 not including airfare (cruise, beverage and excursions) for a solo traveler.

I wont be on Celebrity again because a simple apology or explanation was never offered (at least to date).

If I experienced the issues you report, no simple apology would be enough for me to book a Celebrity cruise any time soon.

At some point an apology or compensation is not the issue or the solution.

Edited by richstowe

I own a business and can tell you that most customers will not take the time to comment. Rather they just move their business elsewhere (some estimate that for every complainer/commenter, 12-20 don't bother). Because owners know this, it is custom to appreciate and reward the commenter. I make it my policy to ask my clients for honest feedback.

Here is the feedback i gave Celebrity at the Customer Relations desk and subsequent written survey. My comments on the recent Celebrity Solstice Dec 22 Sydney-Auckland cruise included:

Hate to say it..but it almost looks like you were "looking" for problems. I've seen plenty of pax who did not have a "perfect" cruise, but sorry really can't say I've seen any legit complete & utter failures of a cruise(obviously, not including Concordia type disasters). What to do,dear readers is read the reviews for that cruise & come to your own conclusions. We were on a Cunard trip(2008 QM2) We were scarcely on the ship for 2 hrs & in the elevator this woman just beyotched & beyotched about all the problems of her voyage so far(2 hours, folks,we hadn't even left New York yet)I finally told to shut the hell up. Which, surprisingly she did, much to the delight of all on that elevator.