outdoor seating in old San Juan?

LiseD

There are multiple piers. Pier 4 is not directly across from the Sheraton. I don't know the number of that pier, but they use that for ships that are making day stops.

If you click on the link in the above post, there's a little map. Click on that to enlarge. Actually, I don't think that little map shows the pier directly across from the Sheraton.

This might help...

11101753683_43824d6856_z.jpg

This was taken from the Sheraton's rooftop pool. That's Pier #4; the long golden-brick one in the semi-distance. On the left, past the first building, you can see yellow awnings both on the side street and on the main street. The ones on the side street are at Punto de Vista.

The round grey tower thing on the right leads to another pier. MSC Divina was docked there the morning I sailed. I had to walk down to Pier #4 to board. But you can see that the restaurant is very close to both piers.

I'm pretty sure Carnival uses Pier 4 both for Valor's round-trip SJ sailings and for those ships who are calling for a day visit (assuming it isn't Sunday when Valor is in port).

There are so many good restaurants with outdoor seating. Punta is a good recommendation but there are many others that are just as good. Just walk around and check the menus. I choose restaurants based on what I feel like eating that night.

• 2 weeks later...

Hotel EL Convento has both an internal open air bar and restaurant, and a street level open air Tapas restaurant. It's in the heart of Old San Juan. We were just there on Sunday. Great food. Beautiful church and small public square next door.

WE always eat at El Picoteo in the courtyard of El Convento. It is one of our favorite hotels/restaurants of all our travels. And that is alot of hotels ! Its got so much history and charm...... over 350 yr old convent.

El Picoteo is located in the courtyard under an equally old picoteo tree. There are other trees loaded with tiny white lights and candles lit everywhere. The serve wonderful tapas (the lobster empanadas come to mind right off ) and other menu items as well. The mojitos are really good too altho they are known for their sangia (which I thought mine was better ;) )

But as stated before there are other places as well....we just like this one. Here is the menu

http://www.restaurantsinpr.com/menupage.php?restnum=195

WE always eat at El Picoteo in the courtyard of El Convento. It is one of our favorite hotels/restaurants of all our travels. And that is alot of hotels ! Its got so much history and charm...... over 350 yr old convent.

El Picoteo is located in the courtyard under an equally old picoteo tree. There are other trees loaded with tiny white lights and candles lit everywhere. The serve wonderful tapas (the lobster empanadas come to mind right off ) and other menu items as well. The mojitos are really good too altho they are known for their sangia (which I thought mine was better ;) )

But as stated before there are other places as well....we just like this one. Here is the menu

http://www.restaurantsinpr.com/menupage.php?restnum=195

A funny thing about dining there at night. As we were seated at a table with a very large umbrella,but I asked to be moved to a table that was in a better location but had no umbrella. They said sure but the bats come to the trees at night & their droppings can fall on you. As soon as we heard the first "ploop!" we quickly moved back to the table with the large umbrella as the greeter suggested!:o lol

A funny thing about dining there at night. As we were seated at a table with a very large umbrella,but I asked to be moved to a table that was in a better location but had no umbrella. They said sure but the bats come to the trees at night & their droppings can fall on you. As soon as we heard the first "ploop!" we quickly moved back to the table with the large umbrella as the greeter suggested!:o lol

Thanks for the tip.

I'll be sure to remember this!!! :)

Like another poster said, walk around and ask. Most locals will be more than welcome to point you in the right direction. Some recommendations: Two blocks up from where the ship docks (if on OSJ piers, not Pan-am) there is Raices (local cuisine) and they have an outdoor seating area, albeit it's by the busy sidewalk. If you keep walking left from the pier toward paseo la Princesa there's another restaurant (international) under huge trees right at the base of the old walls. You might also try Barrachina with has an inside patio seating area and great food and piña coladas!

There are a few others round the city but maybe others will be of more help there.