cabin question

venicia

We are tremendously excited to be taking our first overnight river cruise. Our cabin is 456 Cat A and we thought it would be fantastic as it is in the aft portion of the boat. But, we have had a few persons question us if the paddlewheel will make the cabin loud or not quite as comfortable as a cabin in the more center of the boat?

We have been on riverboats in Europe, but always docked and stayed in hotels overnight so we never had a cabin. On the ocean going ships we always get a suite in the center of the ship.

We just paid the final payment and we will board in New Orleans April 22.

Thank you for any information you can provide.

Room 456 is the St. Louis stateroom and the total room size is 240 sq. ft. You might feel more vibration if they are working the boat hard than you would more forward. I don't think that noise will be that big of a problem up on the Observation Deck. Also that A category room is a bit larger than those on the Promenade Deck. The biggest problem that will be there, and I'll guarantee it, is spray from the wheel.

We cruised for 18 days in 2012 in cabin 455, next door to yours, directly in the center of the aft cabins and directly in front of the paddle wheel.

The paddle wheel is close to noiseless, if anything, a distant comfortable "swishing". There is no aft vibration such as in propeller-driven cruise ships. While there is a thruster at the bow, maneuvering at the back of the boat is accomplished with the pair of auxiliary "Z-Drives" mounted on either side of the paddle wheel, so there is no thruster noise. There are only two minor drawbacks to these cabins -- there is a solid railing across from your door that restricts your view aft while seated outside the cabin; and the deck can be wet due to over spray from the paddle wheel.

The 3 cabins at the stern on deck 4 -- 454, 455 and 456, are a little larger than those on the sides of the boat.

The other potential drawback is the cabins are as far away from the Front Porch as you can get, great if you need to walk off the rich food, bad if you want to grab a coffee, soda, ice cream or snack. As a confirmed "junk food junkie", I like our 2013 cabin choice better, 401, at the very front of the boat, directly over the Front Porch. ;) Our choice for our next river cruise, whenever that is (sometime after our 2015 - 180 day world cruise) will be either 201 or 202.

That's ours closet in the picture, and yours just beyond. You can just barely see the solid blue rail over the paddle wheel.

141309.jpg

Boarding in New Orleans during the Spring could be very exciting. The water might be high and you'll be able to peak over the levees. That's a rare treat, but it would mean that the boat will have to rely more on the two z-drives which would mean more noise and vibration, particularly when headed upriver.

I was in the Mark Twain Suite rm. 383, years ago, during high water on the Ohio River and the cavitation of the props and vibration were quite pronounced. I would never choose that room again.

Edited by Calliope

thank you all for your replies and especially for the information about the spray. Hubby and I don't mind walking, as a matter of fact, this will be an interesting cruise for me since I am the really, really big ship fanatic in the family. I loved Allure and Oasis, hubby was not as taken with them as me and wanted to try this type of cruise.

hondorner: a 180 day around the world cruise!!!! oh, my, gosh how lucky you are. that sounds like a fantastic cruise.

I'm very excited about our trip, and again thank you all for your replies!

Happy New Year to all

Joan

Joan,

Gee, that´s a "step down" from the Oasis and Allure to the American Queen :D!!

I know all three of them (although I haven´t had a chance to cruise under the new company). River cruising is totally different from ocean cruising. And cruising on the AQ is different from any other river cruise ship. I love all the different styles of cruising!:D But my heart belongs to my beginnings... meaning the steamboats!

steamboats

• 4 weeks later...