Do you normally arrive the day prior to sailing?

My1Day.com

We have flown in the morning of only once. While nothing went wrong and we made it to the port incredibly early, waking up at 3:30 am to get to the airport is not the way I like to start my vacation. We were both pretty tired that fist day, and hubby spent a good portion of the afternoon napping.

He wants to do it again this year...I've got some time to try to change his mind!

ALWAYS the day before, except for once.

I did a CruiseToNoWhere (CTN) on the Glory out of Norfolk and we drove. It is at least an 8 hour drive from PA. We left 2 days early and made stops along the way. GOOD THING, because one of the days we checked out of the hotel to continue our journey and the car would not start. We were PANICKED... after a few hours, we found a guy to help us out that knew about cars. We do not have AAA. If not, I would have had to rent a car to get to port. LESSON LEARNED.

We just got the car out of the garage a few days before the trip and everything was up to snuff. Guess the drive took it's toll on the vehicle. You never know what can happen:eek:

Edited by PittsburghGirlee

I live about 5 hours north of Baltimore and have driven in the day of the cruise both times I sailed on the Pride. I am sailing on 2/9/14 on the pride again and we are driving in on the day of the cruise... Of course if weather looks bad a week out, we may change our minds, but since its a sunday, the drive is really easy and not much traffic.

We live an hour from Galveston, so when cruising from Galveston or Houston we just drive over the morning of the cruise. When flying to a cruise we always arrive at least one day before the cruise. We had a couple of close calls, like being bumped from a connecting flight, and that convinced us years ago to always fly in early.

When we went on the Mexican Riviera we drove to Las Vegas the day before and stay the night at my Aunts house. Then, we drove the 4 hour drive to LA the day of and didn't have any problems. We actually arrived early and had time to go to a mall long beach before we left.

We going on a Western Caribbean cruise in February and have decided to leave nearly 2 days before. We have a 6 hour drive to the airport then our plane leaves at 6am the day before and we don't get into Miami until 6pm that night. Depending on the weather were leaving early 2 days before and getting a hotel by the Airport or we were going leave later and drive at night. Either way I am not looking to the traveling part of the trip, but I can't wait for the cruise!

I can still see all the pros and cons of each. From making it seem like an extra day (or two) of vacation to catching an early flight. Or for those driving and live within a few hours distance to save the $ on a hotel to do it that day...and of course the biggest one would be if time/work allows the extra day or two prior.

Happy New Year everyone!! Nothing like starting it out right with CC topics! I'm really enjoying this site!

I have been reading about all the "What If's" and was wondering if one of the what if's happened, it could happen a day early also. What if you car breadks down while driving Friday night to a Saturday departure? You can't find an open garage! Same as the same day. Flat tire? YOu might need to get a replacement....going a day early, removes some of the what if's, but can add additional what if's. Wake up in the morning, and you car is broken into at the hotel?

I live in Florida and if the port is 2 or 3 hours away, I drive the morning. If it is in Ft lauderdale or Miami, I drive the night before. Not because of what if's, but I have tons of free hotel nights, and I drive early the previous day, and enjoy the city. But than again, what if I enjoy it too much and wake up in the slammer? LOL

Since we are in Clearwater, FL, we always leave on a cruise from our home state. If we are leaving out of Tampa, we save the money. Anywhere else - we travel the day before. You just never know what could happen. You could be in an accident, or your car could unexpectedly break down. There are just so many possibilities of what could happen. We would rather know that we have a little extra wiggle room and pay for a hotel and food the night before than be caught standing at the Port waving bye to our cruise we wanted to be on. Plus, we also have the excitement that our vacation has begun a day early!! Our son, 9 yrs old, always looks forward to going to the city we cruise from and playing in the pool and exploring!!

We live about 5 -5 1/2 hours from Baltimore. We are looking at the Pride at some point next year, mainly b/c we don't have to worry about airfare. Since we will be parking at the port (I have done a lot of reading that is it in excellent port with ease of parking right next to/near the dock) would you drive it the same day and save the extra $ on hotel and food the night prior? We are early risers...even with school out my DS and DH are up at 6 am. So we could get on the road by 6 am easy and get up there in plenty of time. Just wondering how many other folks do this.

We're cruising out of Miami on Feb 8th and we live in Connecticut. So after much discussion we decided to fly down the day before in case any winter storms up here cause any delays. Gives us a little piece of mind.

I have been reading about all the "What If's" and was wondering if one of the what if's happened, it could happen a day early also. What if you car breadks down while driving Friday night to a Saturday departure? You can't find an open garage! Same as the same day. Flat tire? YOu might need to get a replacement....going a day early, removes some of the what if's, but can add additional what if's. Wake up in the morning, and you car is broken into at the hotel?

I live in Florida and if the port is 2 or 3 hours away, I drive the morning. If it is in Ft lauderdale or Miami, I drive the night before. Not because of what if's, but I have tons of free hotel nights, and I drive early the previous day, and enjoy the city. But than again, what if I enjoy it too much and wake up in the slammer? LOL

It's impossible to account for everything that might happen to you, but by leaving early it gives you more time to fix it. You think it's bad if your car breaks down on a Friday for a Saturday cruise, what if it breaks down Saturday for a Saturday cruise ? At least Friday I have more time and a better chance to fix it or rent a car. If someone breaks into my car at the motel, it would suck, I'd be pissed, but would that make me miss my cruise ? My cruise in December we drove to NOLA 3 days early, about half way my brother realizes he forgot his passport. He had to have someone overnight it to him, if we left with just enough time to drive to the port he would have been SOL. You live 2 or 3 hours from a port, of course you can drive it that morning, but of you or someone with you forgets their passport or birth certificate, them what ?

GO MIZZOU!!!!!!!

I've always flown in the morning of my cruise, as do most others. NY JFK to Miami is like a shuttle, non stop 2 1/2 hr flight. If I get an 8AM flight, I'm hailing a cab to the port by 11AM or so using carry on luggage, and with VIFP checkin, usually on Lido deck enjoying lunch around noon.

While the CC notion is to fly or drive in the day before, I've seen storms like the once forecast for tonight and tomorrow in the Northeast, ruin those travel plans several times.

I have a ticketed seat on Saturday for my Celebrity cruise out of San Juan, and I expect many standby pax trying to get seats because of the timing of the storm. I'm definitely lucky so far - 20 plus cruises and no need to reschedule flights due to weather. Some day I may get hit, but so far what I've saved on hotel nights has allowed me to cruise about 3 or 4 times than if I spent my $$$ on hotels the night before.

All my previous cruises, I've had to fly in the previous day, due to where I live, and cruising out of-for example, I live in AZ, so I've needed to fly to NOLA, Ft. Lauderdale, N.Y., (as well as Anchorage, and San Juan obviously!;)) This next cruise, the Magic out of Galveston on Jan.19th:), I'll be flying in the day of sailing-the flight arrives in Houston at 9 a.m., and I have the transportation set up with Carnival to get me to Galveston.....I'm hoping all goes well. Just to be on the safe side, at the end of the cruise, my flight back is not till 6 p.m., to allow extra time in case of fog. If there are any snafus, in the future, I'll fly in the day before.

Happy New Year, and Happy Cruising!:cool:

We live in NYC and have sailed the Pride from Baltimore 3 times... going again this summer. We always stay at the Hampton Inn in White Marsh - they have a "stay, park, cruise" package that gives you one night hotel, free hot breakfast, free wifi, free parking for the week, and a shuttle transfer to/from the port. Great hospitality, clean, friendly hotel, and courteous shuttle drivers. They are within 5 minutes drive to a big mall, restaurants, movie theatre, and a Target for those last minute items. We figured out that it cost about the same (maybe a little more) than parking at the port for the week, and made it much more relaxing overall.

We are cruising out of Long Beach in February and will be driving from Phoenix the day before. We got a room near the port that also provides parking for the duration of the cruise....and its not much more than what the parking would cost alone so for us it's a no-brainer, plus we get to start the party a day earlier!!

We live on the West coast of Florida and were 3 hours from Ft. Lauderdale. We were driving to port on day of embarkment. Our timing chain broke right in the middle of Alligator Alley! We had AAA and Naples and Ft Lauderdale were fighting over who would tow us! Finally Naples came and the tow truck driver took us right to the ship at 4 PM! Never again!

It's impossible to account for everything that might happen to you, but by leaving early it gives you more time to fix it. You think it's bad if your car breaks down on a Friday for a Saturday cruise, what if it breaks down Saturday for a Saturday cruise ? At least Friday I have more time and a better chance to fix it or rent a car. If someone breaks into my car at the motel, it would suck, I'd be pissed, but would that make me miss my cruise ? My cruise in December we drove to NOLA 3 days early, about half way my brother realizes he forgot his passport. He had to have someone overnight it to him, if we left with just enough time to drive to the port he would have been SOL. You live 2 or 3 hours from a port, of course you can drive it that morning, but of you or someone with you forgets their passport or birth certificate, them what ?

GO MIZZOU!!!!!!!

Seriously, I think you missed the point. Lots could go wrong, the same day, the previous day or yes, even 3 days prior. However you look at it, the best plans can be changed by a storm, accident, equipment malfunction, or forgetfullness. You could always plan for things to go wrong, but what will happen, is the item you did not plan to go wrong, will happen.

So to answer your question, just to keep this light, you drive the day before, check out of the hotel, go into your purse, suitcase or whatever, and discover you forgot you passport? You planned for the worse, and yet, it still happened.....

Sorry.

Seriously, I think you missed the point. Lots could go wrong, the same day, the previous day or yes, even 3 days prior. However you look at it, the best plans can be changed by a storm, accident, equipment malfunction, or forgetfullness. You could always plan for things to go wrong, but what will happen, is the item you did not plan to go wrong, will happen.

So to answer your question, just to keep this light, you drive the day before, check out of the hotel, go into your purse, suitcase or whatever, and discover you forgot you passport? You planned for the worse, and yet, it still happened.....

Sorry.

I think you missed the point, the very first thing I said was you can not account for everything that could happen. Do you seriously not think that a day or two extra might not make a difference ? Nobody has said that by going to the port area a day early your guaranteed to not have any problems, have they ? It just gives you more time to react. I can leave 2 days early and during my drive a meteor falls out of the sky and crushes my car, had I waited and left 1 day early I would have been fine. We can list thousands of things that might go wrong. If you ever decide to drive 10, 12 or more hours, or fly, I bet you don't wait till the last second.

Sorry

GO MIZZOU!!!!!!!

Edited by nitro2448

I've always flown in the morning of my cruise, as do most others. NY JFK to Miami is like a shuttle, non stop 2 1/2 hr flight. If I get an 8AM flight, I'm hailing a cab to the port by 11AM or so using carry on luggage, and with VIFP checkin, usually on Lido deck enjoying lunch around noon.

While the CC notion is to fly or drive in the day before, I've seen storms like the once forecast for tonight and tomorrow in the Northeast, ruin those travel plans several times.

I have a ticketed seat on Saturday for my Celebrity cruise out of San Juan, and I expect many standby pax trying to get seats because of the timing of the storm. I'm definitely lucky so far - 20 plus cruises and no need to reschedule flights due to weather. Some day I may get hit, but so far what I've saved on hotel nights has allowed me to cruise about 3 or 4 times than if I spent my $$$ on hotels the night before.

What motel are you staying at that costs the same as 1 cruise let alone 3 or 4 cruises ?

GO MIZZOU!!!!!!!

I think you missed the point, the very first thing I said was you can not account for everything that could happen. Do you seriously not think that a day or two extra might not make a difference ? Nobody has said that by going to the port area a day early your guaranteed to not have any problems, have they ? It just gives you more time to react. I can leave 2 days early and during my drive a meteor falls out of the sky and crushes my car, had I waited and left 1 day early I would have been fine. We can list thousands of things that might go wrong. If you ever decide to drive 10, 12 or more hours, or fly, I bet you don't wait till the last second.

Sorry

GO MIZZOU!!!!!!!

Acually, I have driven 16 hours before to attend family events, and arrived within 2 hours, just in time to check into a hotel, get dressed and get freshened up. I also fly mostly out of a airport 2 hours away. My last international flight, I arrived at the parking garage 2.5 hours before the flight was scheduled to leave. Well within the 2 hours required. I just don't plan for things to go wrong, because the unplanned will happen only.

Acually, I have driven 16 hours before to attend family events, and arrived within 2 hours, just in time to check into a hotel, get dressed and get freshened up. I also fly mostly out of a airport 2 hours away. My last international flight, I arrived at the parking garage 2.5 hours before the flight was scheduled to leave. Well within the 2 hours required. I just don't plan for things to go wrong, because the unplanned will happen only.

Lol, ok

GO MIZZOU!!!!!!!

What motel are you staying at that costs the same as 1 cruise let alone 3 or 4 cruises ?

GO MIZZOU!!!!!!!

20 cruises out of Miami,no hotel, meals or cabs costs - conservative figure $175 - 200. That's $3500 -$4000 saved =3 or 4 cruises

We sail from New Orleans. A couple of times we have driven from Memphis area to NOLA the day of the cruise. Not anticipating functions at the Superdome caused us to almost miss one cruise. An hour delay (accident) on I-10 almost caused us to miss another one. (There was 1 ticket agent still processing arrivals. We were the LAST people to board. Too close for comfort!) So we usually drive somewhere near the La border and stay, then drive in the morning of the cruise. About a 2 hour drive. That has worked for us.

However.... if the cruise is during the winter months, I always allow even more time. We have left home in the ice before, and that added a good 2 hours to our trip. Once you get a little further south, it's all good. And then you wake up the next morning sailing through the Gulf of Mexico.....Priceless!!!