Is sea sickness medication still free?

lovedecruise

Now from the Canadian...thank you for your patience. Is CVS a drug store? I have to get meclazine compounded here, and it costs a LOT more than a few dollars. We're heading to FLL in April for our next cruise, and we also go to Washington State regularly. I'm sure I can find a Walmart in Washington. Curious about CVS for when we are in FLL so I know my options.

Many thanks,

Liz

Yes, CVS is a drug store chain; I referred to it just by way of example, there are many such chains all over the U.S. It's not necessary to go to a CVS. Generic meclizine (or brand name Bonine) should be easy to find in pretty much any American drug store in FLL or Washington state, or anywhere else you might be south of your border. You might even find it in a large supermarket that has a pharmacy section (like Publix in Florida), or stores like Walmart (as you mentioned) and Target.

It's interesting to know that you can't get it easily in Canada. I wonder why, since it's considered safe enough in the U.S. to be an over the counter drug (no prescription needed).

Enjoy your April cruise!

Yes, CVS is a drug store chain; I referred to it just by way of example, there are many such chains all over the U.S. It's not necessary to go to a CVS. Generic meclizine (or brand name Bonine) should be easy to find in pretty much any American drug store in FLL or Washington state, or anywhere else you might be south of your border. You might even find it in a large supermarket that has a pharmacy section (like Publix in Florida), or stores like Walmart (as you mentioned) and Target.

It's interesting to know that you can't get it easily in Canada. I wonder why, since it's considered safe enough in the U.S. to be an over the counter drug (no prescription needed).

Enjoy your April cruise!

thanks so much for you help! Now I know which type of stores to look for. We used to be able to buy Bonnamine(sp), which was the same thing, but can't get it any more. We don't need a prescription for the meclizine, but with the pharmacy having to compound the capsules, up goes the price. I think I'll stock up. I'm one of those that gets ill on a bus. :rolleyes:

I've heard ginger works well for those that get sea sick. No side effects.

Just one helpful clarification - I love to use ginger as well, but it should not be used by anyone taking blood thinning medications without checking with your doctor as it has blood thinning properties.

We take along a package of Bonine, just in case. We have not been able to get sickness pills from guest relations, probably because they would rather sell it to you in the ship's store. We have taken 1/2 of pill if the seas feel rough, and then follow it with the other half if rough seas continue. My DH and I find that the pills (even 1/2) make us tired despite the declaration of "causes less drowsiness" on the package. My DH is a big guy, and he found that if he has an alcoholic beverage while taking Bonine, he becomes extremely tired and has to go to bed. Therefore, if he takes Bonine, he won't drink alcohol.

By the way, Costco sells bottles of the generic drug, meclizine, for very little money. I don't recall the exact cost, but it was something like a few hundred pills for less than $10.

FYI: You probably know that the active ingredient in Bonine is Meclizine so that should solve your "pharmacy compounding" problems..........we found similar pharmacy issues in the UK where you cannot buy most anything without talking to the pharmacist. Best place to buy Bonine in the US is at Walmart where it is readily available and usually cheaper than our "drug stores"

Also you should be aware that the people at the desk will give you "Sea Calm" pills for free and those contain Meclizine as the active ingredient.

thanks so much for you help! Now I know which type of stores to look for. We used to be able to buy Bonnamine(sp), which was the same thing, but can't get it any more. We don't need a prescription for the meclizine, but with the pharmacy having to compound the capsules, up goes the price. I think I'll stock up. I'm one of those that gets ill on a bus. :rolleyes:
Edited by skiron

My husband is very prone to motion sickness. He has used crystallized ginger every cruise with great success. He purchases a piece in the bulk produce section of local grocery store. He cuts it into small pieces and places some in a zip style plastic sandwich baggie which he carries in his pocket. Any time he feels the need he sucks on a small piece. Usually within minutes he feels fine. (He does want me to say that when it gets smaller and stringy he removes it and discards it.).

we are in the UK and always pick up dramamine when we are in the USA as it's not something we can get over here. Dad swears by it although we have never had an issue ourselves

Never wait until you are ill to take it, you need to start early

Too true, I've always started taking meclizine the day before I get on a ship. I'll continue with this practice, but think, if the waters are good, that I might see if I can find the ginger capsules, and try them on a few days, if the waters are smoothe.

We take along a package of Bonine, just in case. We have not been able to get sickness pills from guest relations, probably because they would rather sell it to you in the ship's store. We have taken 1/2 of pill if the seas feel rough, and then follow it with the other half if rough seas continue. My DH and I find that the pills (even 1/2) make us tired despite the declaration of "causes less drowsiness" on the package. My DH is a big guy, and he found that if he has an alcoholic beverage while taking Bonine, he becomes extremely tired and has to go to bed. Therefore, if he takes Bonine, he won't drink alcohol.

By the way, Costco sells bottles of the generic drug, meclizine, for very little money. I don't recall the exact cost, but it was something like a few hundred pills for less than $10.

wholly cow...I'll stop at costco on my way down the I5 on my next trip to Renton, what a deal! As for the drowsiness...yes it makes me a bit drowsy, and gives me a bit of a dry mouth...just more reason to keep drinking ;)

My husband is very prone to motion sickness. He has used crystallized ginger every cruise with great success. He purchases a piece in the bulk produce section of local grocery store. He cuts it into small pieces and places some in a zip style plastic sandwich baggie which he carries in his pocket. Any time he feels the need he sucks on a small piece. Usually within minutes he feels fine. (He does want me to say that when it gets smaller and stringy he removes it and discards it.).

Excellent if ginger isn't one of the greatest things in your life. My only problem with this is...I adore ginger, any way it comes, even fresh, just chopped up, and I'd eat the lot in no time. I'd have to buy a 10 pound bag to last the 14 day cruise, no sucking or throwing away for me. I think I'm safer with the capsules.

I bought a bottle of ginger capsules in preparation for our cruise next week. I ate something bad and was sick to my stomach two days ago. Popped a ginger capsule and the nausea went away - amazing! My plan for the cruise is to take a ginger capsule every morning and 1 meclizine/bonine tablet each night starting the day before we board. And to bring extra ginger capsules with me just in case. I'm now sold on ginger.