VISA GIft Card

Stuffy8

Hi... I just read in an Epic tips thread that someone called NCL about this and was told no, you couldn't use the Visa gift cards on the ship, but you could use them to purchase OBC in advance. Sorry, not sure about being able to use it in the ports.

From the VISA gift card FAQ's:

Can I use my Visa Gift card outside of the United States?

If your gift card states Valid only in the United States on the front, your issuer has issued a Domestic Use Only card. Although your gift card will not be accepted at locations outside of the United States, it's welcome at millions of locations within the U.S. where Visa Debit cards are accepted.

My mother got a VISA gift card/debit, do you know if this can be used on the ship or in the ports such as St Thomas, St Marteen or San Juan?

Thank you

Yes. I read the conditions months ago. Who cares? Use it for other trip related thing. Gas, airfare, etc.

Thank you for the replies. She wanted to use it to buy something on the ship such as perfume or whatever and use it there. If not she will use it for the stores and everything off the ship but thought she could save it for the ship to use. Happy New Year!

How is it safer? Color me confused.

I would think it would be safer because your real credit card and information aren't out there. Having recently been a victim of identity theft it can be pretty upsetting.

BINGO!!!

Think about it. We normally bring and Mastercard / Visa and a AMX card.

We still do but they are locked in the safe the entire cruise. We use the prepaid card when we go on excisions, to the beach etc….. If the card is lost or stolen, its not a huge loss and we don't need to worry about calling anyone or canceling other CC. True your out X amount of dollars but better that than a "Normal" card

Edited by Laszlo

Just wanted to add one more quick thing. In Roatan we did a beach excursion. On the bus coming back their were (3) families who were "Missing" credit cards. One family was missing cards and cash.

Thank you for the replies. She wanted to use it to buy something on the ship such as perfume or whatever and use it there. If not she will use it for the stores and everything off the ship but thought she could save it for the ship to use. Happy New Year!

Everything she buys on the ship goes on her onboard account. Can't use any card or cash in the shops.

Everything she buys on the ship goes on her onboard account. Can't use any card or cash in the shops.

Ok thank you for the responses. I told her to bring it and when we do an excursion then maybe she can spend it there otherwise no big deal she can use it anytime when we get back home for normal stuff.

We bought one and put $500.00 on it for our Dawn cruise in November. We used it in Roatan, Belize, Costa Maya and Cozumel. Its a little safer than other credit cards

Not true. I just wouldn't use my bank DEBIT card ...but using 'credit cards' is totally safe. You are never responsible for charges you didn't make; just be sure to call your issuing bank to have a travel notation put on your account so they know 'where' you will be.

Just wanted to add one more quick thing. In Roatan we did a beach excursion. On the bus coming back their were (3) families who were "Missing" credit cards. One family was missing cards and cash.

Be aware that getting a prepaid VISA replaced in the event of loss or theft is much more difficult (though not entirely impossible) than a regular credit card......

please make sure you know the terms of the prepaid cards before you rely on them for vacation expenses or spending .

Be aware that getting a prepaid VISA replaced in the event of loss or theft is much more difficult (though not entirely impossible) than a regular credit card......

please make sure you know the terms of the prepaid cards before you rely on them for vacation expenses or spending .

And there is a big difference between a prepaid and gift card. Go to the website and read the fine print about where you can use it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

• 4 weeks later...

That's what wateroof "wallets" are for. They don't leave my body.