Gyms

jen1016

Very nice from my experience. Sailed the Valor two times and are very spacious with high end equipment. Different classes as well...spin, abs workout, etc. locker rooms have steam room and sauna and large private showers.

I haven't worked out in Valor's gym, but Liberty and Miracle's gym was great! Lots of cardio equipment (eliptical, treadmill, rowing machine, bicycle) and a smaller area for strength training with free weights. A number of strength training machines and a very limited space for floor work ie. push ups, stretching etc. Overall, I got in a good workout every morning around 7 am. There is a workout room, but that was usually used for a class, which costs $$. I like doing my own workout anyway, so I saved a few bucks, although I've heard the classes are good.

Enjoy your cruise!!

We workout daily but when we go on a cruise we use it as a break to give our bodies a rest.

We tried using the gyms and found that it is not the same as what we are use to. It is just too much trouble to figure out the machines and it wasn't worth the hassle unless yo are trying to impress. Your body needs a break. If you were going to be on the ship long term it would be worth it.

Just take the cruise and enjoy it.

.💪

I get a good feeling (endorphins) and a sense of accomplishment when I get in my workout. When I am sick and can't workout, I have less energy and that permeates the rest of my day.

Go for what works for you. If it's 20 minutes on the treadmill or using the stairs instead of the elevator, great!

The OP asked about what gyms on the ships are like, not whether she should work out.

My last two Carnival Cruises were on the Valor. And I tried to get a workout in just about every other day.

My observations.

Decent treadmills, and ellipticals, and usually enough although you might have to wait 10 minutes during busy times.. Rowing Machines only so-so. (But not used much)

Good Cybex Circuit.

Dumbells and decent weight rack. No barbells, have to use machines. Probably a safety thing. A lurch while lifting a barbell might cause major damage to the lifter or a bystander.

Spin bikes for classes.

Decent gym. Slightly better than a Hotel Gym but not a full service Gym like Gold's or LA Fitness.

If you are into a decent Cybex Circuit, you have it made. If you want to do bench Presses or weighted squats forget it.

Edited by mapsmith

The gyms are quite similar to any small gym on land.

Some cardio machines, weight machines, free weights, yoga items, as well as a few classes and saunas in the dressing rooms.

I found the cardio machines difficult to use on a ship. Something about running forward, while facing forward, on a ship that was moving forward really messed with my equilibrium. Only tried it once for about 2 minutes and gave up. Now I just use the strength machines and get cardio through walking around the ship.

I found the cardio machines difficult to use on a ship. Something about running forward, while facing forward, on a ship that was moving forward really messed with my equilibrium. Only tried it once for about 2 minutes and gave up. Now I just use the strength machines and get cardio through walking around the ship.

I am the same way, I have to be so careful!

On the Splendor, the machines did not face the front of the ship.. the faced the Port side. It was so much better for me and I was able to get a full workout.

The one thing to mention.... the Ipod connectors are not for the Iphone 5. So if you like watching your Ipod while you workout and have a 5, yu may be out of luck.

Catrin

Found the gyms very nice on ships I've been on. Have found that while running on the treadmill, the ships up and down movement can be an issue. You'll be running and at some point when your foot comes down, you'll miss the treadmill for a split second, because it's no longer where you left it, it's a bit lower..works the same coming up too...A bit before you expect it...

Edited by dwayneb236