Adventure vs Jewel for Southern Caribbean?

hagges

Potential first time Royal customer looking at the Southern route for February 2015. Looking for advice on recommendations for going on the smaller Jewel or the AOS for this route. We are a couple in our early 50's cruising without kids for the first time :)

Thanks!

Depends on what you're looking for.

Jewel: Elegant, more traditional design, covered solarium, views to the outside from many venues on the ship including some of the elevators, self-leveling pool tables, Seaview Cafe, two deck dining room.

Adventure: Unique Royal Promenade not found on other cruise lines, Cafe Promenade open almost 24 hours, Johnny Rockets, open solarium roof, three deck dining room.

I went on the Adventure some years ago, and the Radiance a tad before that.

(I'm introverted and quiet, so, if you're not like this, maybe you'll have a different experience). I did not have a great time on the Adventure. Too many people, too much stuff going on, just, too much, always. I also didn't like the itinerary much, and the crew seemed overwhelmed most of the time. The food was also not that great. Disembarking was awful.

It did have a lot more activities and so on that the Radiance, but still, not my style.

If you want a quieter cruise, I'd recommend the Jewel... a smaller ship. I can't imagine going on a huge cruise like that every again.

EDIT: Totally forgot about Johnny Rockets. That was wonderful.

Edited by AmyWrites

We are mid 50's and all I can say is that it depends on what you personally like about a ship. We have sailed on Adventure, Serenade and Brilliance out of San Juan. I much prefer the Radiance class. I didn' care for the Promenade and thought the activities and entertainment were the same. The Adventure has more pool chairs and DH loved the cigar lounge. The personnel weren't as personable and we had our worst, mostly just mediocre - not bad, cabin steward. These are port intensive cruises and you can't go wrong with either. I like the full plexiglass balcony railings and the feeling of being on a cruise when on Radiance class.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tablet using Tapatalk

We have sailed Jewel, and 3 times on a Voyager-class ship. All were phenomenal, and I would agree it depends what you are looking for. I would recommend Jewel for Southern Caribbean, though. She is the only ship in the fleet with her Seaview Café intact, PLUS there is amazing outdoor aft seating at the back of the Windjammer. For this alone, I would book Jewel. Imagine the sunsets every night from there.... glorious. :)

Thanks for the great replies everybody! Per my signature we have mainly sailed Carnival so we are used to the "party atmosphere". I am leaning to the Jewel as she is a smaller ship. We would like a more elegant environment this time but we both like to mingle, hang out and meet people and of course party a little. I agree the itinerary is the most important.

One thing to keep in mind is that Jewel is a Radiance class ship, designed for the scenic European and Alaskan itineraries whereas Adventure is a Voyager class ship, made for the Caribbean. If you are booking a balcony, almost all the balconies on Adventure are good, but Jewel will have some that are small or have obstructed views. It will just take a little extra research.

Adventure is going to have an open solarium and massive pool deck with plenty of loungers. Jewel is going to have less "sunbathing" areas and will be more focused on towards looking out from the inside. If that is what you are looking for, go for Jewel. If you are sun worshipers and enjoy the amenities of the bigger ships, by all means, pick the Adventure.

Personally, I think Jewel would be a perfect ship for Alaska, but I have no desire to do another Caribbean cruise on that class of ships.

We are 50 - we both did a separate latest review --this was mine: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1959493

hubby did review GREAT pictures.... - took picts of everything http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1961584 that is his review - at the end is link for pictures of ALL but the bathroom.

We made friends - first time, 6th cruise, and will call and email them...

My main issue was not enough to eat - like on carnival mid, or smaller ship could always find good food 24/7 BUT we did not get night time room service - and could have.

Most of our new "Royal" experience that wasn't extra great - had to do with ports! I guess it wasn't Royal, but PR's port that had the weird way to get people on the ship and weird to get us and luggage to the airport. But I'm glad we went where we went.... We always got help in the end.

Probably looking back - having only 2 elevator banks - one at the front - and the one the rest of the cruisers use - is a little annoying -- but any of us lucky enough to be/go/do a cruise is lucky!

We probably would try Royal again - but ship with more food options - BUT itinerary before food choices when we book - ate some good food OFF the ship too!

We are 50 - we both did a separate latest review --this was mine: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1959493

hubby did review GREAT pictures.... - took picts of everything http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1961584 that is his review - at the end is link for pictures of ALL but the bathroom.

We made friends - first time, 6th cruise, and will call and email them...

My main issue was not enough to eat - like on carnival mid, or smaller ship could always find good food 24/7 BUT we did not get night time room service - and could have.

Most of our new "Royal" experience that wasn't extra great - had to do with ports! I guess it wasn't Royal, but PR's port that had the weird way to get people on the ship and weird to get us and luggage to the airport. But I'm glad we went where we went.... We always got help in the end.

Probably looking back - having only 2 elevator banks - one at the front - and the one the rest of the cruisers use - is a little annoying -- but any of us lucky enough to be/go/do a cruise is lucky!

We probably would try Royal again - but ship with more food options - BUT itinerary before food choices when we book - ate some good food OFF the ship too!

Not enough to eat? Seriously?!

To each their own but good gosh :eek: !

Yes, I'm not the only one who have said the jewel has only hot dogs and pizza after 10 pm....unless you want to eat in your room.

Other ships have more and later options for people who go dancing for hours, and drinking till wee hours in the morning. Like to go with others to be social and have a late snack.....yes more food.

If you're choosing the Jewel, I recommend checking with RCI to verify the sailing details. I haven't looked into all of February in detail but we're researching a trip for Jan 2015 and right now the website shows Jewel departing SJ on Jan 24th on one itinerary and Jan 25th on a completely different one.

So far Adventure seems to be if not accurate at least logically consistent.

Most of our new "Royal" experience that wasn't extra great - had to do with ports! I guess it wasn't Royal, but PR's port that had the weird way to get people on the ship and weird to get us and luggage to the airport.

As a potential Jewel passenger, I'm curious to know what you experienced. It will help me know what to expect the next time we cruise out of SJ. Can you be a little more specific?

Thanks!

I like the royal promenade. It gives me a feel of being back on land a bit, if I wish it, and I enjoy the sights there, browsing stores, etc... The one time I cruised on a ship without one, I missed it. But as with many things, it appeals to some but not so much to others.

Richard.

As a potential Jewel passenger, I'm curious to know what you experienced. It will help me know what to expect the next time we cruise out of SJ. Can you be a little more specific?

Thanks!

I think they're talking about the lines to check bags in SJ. Since this process is identical to AD, you won't notice a difference. I will say that my personal experience has been that embarkation for Jewel or her previous sister ships on Saturdays has been much more efficient than the Sunday embarkation for AD. Since U.S. Customs uses the same vendor both days, all I can figure is there is less waiting to board Jewel since there are fewer passengers or there are less agents working Sundays. Who knows, but I have noticed a distinct difference.

I think they're talking about the lines to check bags in SJ. Since this process is identical to AD, you won't notice a difference. I will say that my personal experience has been that embarkation for Jewel or her previous sister ships on Saturdays has been much more efficient than the Sunday embarkation for AD. Since U.S. Customs uses the same vendor both days, all I can figure is there is less waiting to board Jewel since there are fewer passengers or there are less agents working Sundays. Who knows, but I have noticed a distinct difference.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my post. What you said makes a lot of sense. We are thinking about booking the Jewel next summer. We both like the itinerary. Also we sailed on the Radiance and really enjoyed it.

Been on both and loved them both! Adventure has a few unique features that We missed on Jewel including the promenade with shops, bars and the 24 hour cafe. Also, we enjoyed the ice show. The solarium pool & hot tubs are larger and nicer on Adventure. On Jewel we really loved the beauty of the ship. The lounges around the centrum area with plentiful windows looking out to sea were truly magnificent. Loved the glass elevators looking out to sea. Also loved the outdoor seating of the Windjammer and Seaview cafe at the aft overlooking the wake or port while snacking was great! We did feel the crew on the Jewel were friendlier and far more visable; they were always out & mingling with the guests. Bottom line, I would not hesitate to go on either ship again!:)

If you are more active and enjoy a greater number of options for things to do then for sure go on the adventure. There are not so many people that you feel like cattle. Actually the opposite is true because there are more places to spread out in. We have always had as many opportunities as we desired to meet and mingle with people. based on your comments I would wonder if you might become a bit bored on jewel. But, as has been noted by others it really depends on your preference. We are 60 plus and were quite bored on Jewel, but just our personal preference. Just did b2b on adventure and staff is marvelous on that ship too. Either one you will enjoy if you seek out what you enjoy.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

We sailed on Jewel once and were pretty new to cruising at the time. Been on three Voyager Class ships now, and really like the junior suites.

1. Pick the best itinerary.

2. Compare staterooms.

3. Study reviews, but consider they're pretty subjective.

You really can't go wrong with either ship. They are actually my two favorites in the fleet. Pick the one with the itinerary you prefer. As you can see below, we couldn't decide so we are doing both. Doing the Jewell week 1 then hopping on Adventure for week 2. :D

Like in our review I linked,

SJ , when you get out of taxi, you have to drag all your luggage to get in a line , in the heat, then slowly proceed to the porter desk....

all other lines...they whisk your bags away as soon as you get out of the taxi.

Leaving SJ, new to us, shuttle we paid for royal to get us to airport.

They put US on a nice bus and they put our LUGGAGE in a separate truck, which got to the airport 20 min+ LATER than we did.

Less convenient both ways, than we are used to.... No regrets, but ready to try a bigger Royal ship someday.