Duty Free Logistics and Question

Normal 1

Greetings. Hope someone has knowledge of this. I will be sailing Carnival Valor in May with St. Thomas one of the ports. As I understand duty free limits are 5 bottles per person (over 21) if at least 1 bottle is from St. Thomas.

Recently flew with duty free liquor and had 2 bottles break due to rough handling of suitcases. :(

Plan to have just 1 checked bag (5 bottles in 1 bag will be very heavy).

If I purchase a St. Thomas rum and pack it in suitcase, would I be able to purchase 4 bottles at SJU Duty Free and carry them on the plane? We have a direct flight back home. If so, do you know if the Duty Free Shops in SJU have Sheridan's? Amarula? Approximate price?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Greetings. Hope someone has knowledge of this. I will be sailing Carnival Valor in May with St. Thomas one of the ports. As I understand duty free limits are 5 bottles per person (over 21) if at least 1 bottle is from St. Thomas.

Recently flew with duty free liquor and had 2 bottles break due to rough handling of suitcases. :(

Plan to have just 1 checked bag (5 bottles in 1 bag will be very heavy).

If I purchase a St. Thomas rum and pack it in suitcase, would I be able to purchase 4 bottles at SJU Duty Free and carry them on the plane? We have a direct flight back home. If so, do you know if the Duty Free Shops in SJU have Sheridan's? Amarula? Approximate price?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

A weight problem - Either utilise the wonders of rum runners or just buy in the USA

You are flying from San Juan back to the US, yes?

For that part of the trip, the "duty free" part of it is irrelevant. You don't cross any borders, and will not see any customs officer asking about what you buy. The only "restriction" is that you will get a sealed bag from the store that you then carry on the airplane.

The stores at SJU are pretty well supplied- and the prices are within a few cents of what you pay on the rest of the island. So if you can carry it, buy it and take home. We always get a Ron Barrilito and a Don Q Gran Anjeo there. Again, this is carry on, so your one checked back isn't the one that you have to worry about breaking....

edit- we did once get 5 bottles of rum on a cruise. Listed them all, had reciepts, and was prepared to pay a duty for one. Didn't need to, but was ready to. Remember, it's not that you *can't* bring more in, it's that you may have to pay the normal import duty on them.

Edited by alfaeric
extra stuff

You are flying from San Juan back to the US, yes?

For that part of the trip, the "duty free" part of it is irrelevant. You don't cross any borders, and will not see any customs officer asking about what you buy. The only "restriction" is that you will get a sealed bag from the store that you then carry on the airplane.

The stores at SJU are pretty well supplied- and the prices are within a few cents of what you pay on the rest of the island. So if you can carry it, buy it and take home. We always get a Ron Barrilito and a Don Q Gran Anjeo there. Again, this is carry on, so your one checked back isn't the one that you have to worry about breaking....

edit- we did once get 5 bottles of rum on a cruise. Listed them all, had reciepts, and was prepared to pay a duty for one. Didn't need to, but was ready to. Remember, it's not that you *can't* bring more in, it's that you may have to pay the normal import duty on them.

Thank you! Yes, we are flying back to Chicago. Good to know I will be able to purchase at SJU and carry on the flight. Hoping someone can confirm if they sell Sheridan's and/or Amarula there.

DH and I brought back 7 bottles from Alaskan cruise this summer (split between 2 checked bags) and lost one bottle to breakage in each bag. Like you, I was prepared to pay duty but was not required to.