So, what are our options?

tamilyn

We have a cruise booked for Feb. 9. There is a serious medical problem with our son in laws father. We are needed to help care for our infant grandchild. We purchased cruise care through RCI. Obviously we are past final payment. What are our options, if any?

We have a cruise booked for Feb. 9. There is a serious medical problem with our son in laws father. We are needed to help care for our infant grandchild. We purchased cruise care through RCI. Obviously we are past final payment. What are our options, if any?

Since you have Royal's insurance, the worst case is that they give you 75% of the cruise cost as a credit on a future cruise. However, if they consider your situation as a covered condition, then you would get a cash refund in full. I'd call them for details.

My first call would be to the booking source.

If you booked thru RCI that is the place to start. Depending on many things one option might be to just book a later date. You don't know unless you ask.

If you booked thru a TA then it may be within their authority to make some arrangements for you.

No one wants you to loose your vacation.

I would read the policy and then call and see if they will work with you. Your grandchild and your son in law are immediate family members but your son in laws father is not, so since your son in laws father is the person with the illness, your cancellation most likely will not be covered at 100%. You do have the 75% for any reason option so you will not be out all your money.

I would start with the cruiseline, explain the situation and see if they will let you move to another cruise. If they aren't sympathetic, I would then call the insurance company and see what they will cover.

Thanks for the quick replies. I just wasn't sure about how it would work with the person with the illness not being immediate family. I knew I could count on those of you on here to provide helpful information. I will call and see what they tell me, but it could turn out that we can go on the cruise after all but want to have our bases covered.