love boat theme

likes2cruz

If you're talking about the horn, it's on the new Royal Princess.

Back in the day, they'd play the song on the PA system at sailaway too...:)

And to the OP, no, I haven't heard them play it in a loooong time. 'Course you can get your fill of the Love Boat on the cabin TV...

Edited by RickEk

I find it sad and ironic that they dropped all references to "The Love Boat" many years ago, including using the them before all the production shows, and yet bring it back now just as the original Love Boat is at the breakers.

I find it sad and ironic that they dropped all references to "The Love Boat" many years ago, including using the them before all the production shows, and yet bring it back now just as the original Love Boat is at the breakers.

Well, when you think about it, there is a whole generation of new cruisers who only have their parent's memory of "The Love Boat". Personally, I had just graduated from high school when the show started and watched just a few episodes. I've certainly watched more onboard a Princess ship then I ever did on broadcast TV. :p

As for the original Pacific Princess, whatever... it wasn't Princess' fault that the company that owned the ship couldn't afford to renovate and run it and eventually went bankrupt. :rolleyes:

You're right RickEk; and I don't lament that they stopped using the them or the tag line "Love Boat"--it was time for a change; and I know that all ships have an expiration date. . . a point where maintenance expenses exceed revenue. It just makes me sad and nostalgic because Pacific Princess and Island Princess were my first loves--the first ships I cruised on in 1974 when I worked on them for Princess as a musician--and you never quite get over your first love.

When we sailed to Alaska in 2000 Princess was still playing Love Boat theme at sailaway, and it was the BEST sailaway ever. Even the people working on the pier were smiling and dancing. Have been on many Princess cruises since then and I miss it everytime.

Before the "Love Boat" started, our family were friends with the person that started Princess.

It was Hollywood that created the Love Boat series, that created a whole new outlook on cruising.

My hat is off to Stan McDonald, the gentleman that had the vision, to Canlis Restaurant in Seattle, where two men met, one being a Hollywood Producer and then to the fine actors that made Princess Cruises what it is today. Captain Stubing, Gavin MacLeod....alive and well, and still today is the the Ambassedor to Princess Cruises.

The "Love Boat" theme song is embeded on my phone, and CD's.

I'm of an age that is almost gone. But my memories, of the start of something that Carnival now owns, will never leave me.

Princess is evolving.........and has been for years. A good, middle of the road cruise line, should somehow, remember how she was started.

Then again Micky Arison hardly remembers how his father struggled to create the largest cruise line in the world. Thank goodness he stepped down!

Rick

Edited by rubrrick

I had the pleasure of meeting Stan McDonald on one of my first cruises when I was working for Princess as a musician. Fortunately, I didn't know who he was or I would have fallen all over myself trying to be witty and clever. We relaxed in the Starlight Lounge and had a wonderful conversation for at least two hours. Only later that night did someone tell me who he was. To this day I remember what a charming gentleman he was.