Cupey Question

Boatingmom

don't know but San Juan PR seems to be listed as Cupey PR when I search southern/eastern itineraries.

:confused:

This must be the product of some joker IT guy inputting something funny into the website. Failing that, it must be the product of some automated mapping/location thing.

If anybody's wondering what the heck Cupey is, allow me to expand.

San Juan is the Capital City and the seat of government of Puerto Rico. It is divided into some major subdivisions, namely, Old San Juan (the historic district), Santurce (the modern built up area just east of Old San Juan), Hato Rey (midtown or the financial district aka The Golden Mile) and Rio Piedras.

Up until the 1960s, Rio Piedras was a municipality all to its own until it got merged with San Juan. Rio Piedras itself had some subdivisions, one of which was Hato Rey (Spanish for The King's Ranch), and then El Casco or Downtown Rio Piedras, where the University of Puerto Rico's main campus sits. The suburbs of the then municipality of Rio Piedras where and are still known as Cupey, with the low lying areas designated as Cupey Bajo (low) and the hills known as Cupey Alto (high).

The most current claim to fame of that area known as Cupey is that it is the birthplace and home of three-time world boxing champion Felix "Tito" Trinidad. Now, Tito Trinidad is insanely famous on the whole of Puerto Rico, so I wouldn't put it past some techie fan of him of pushing his homestead in the interwebs as THE capital of Puerto Rico - Cupey - above Rio Piedras and the whole of San Juan.

And that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

This must be the product of some joker IT guy inputting something funny into the website. Failing that, it must be the product of some automated mapping/location thing.

If anybody's wondering what the heck Cupey is, allow me to expand.

San Juan is the Capital City and the seat of government of Puerto Rico. It is divided into some major subdivisions, namely, Old San Juan (the historic district), Santurce (the modern built up area just east of Old San Juan), Hato Rey (midtown or the financial district aka The Golden Mile) and Rio Piedras.

Up until the 1960s, Rio Piedras was a municipality all to its own until it got merged with San Juan. Rio Piedras itself had some subdivisions, one of which was Hato Rey (Spanish for The King's Ranch), and then El Casco or Downtown Rio Piedras, where the University of Puerto Rico's main campus sits. The suburbs of the then municipality of Rio Piedras where and are still known as Cupey, with the low lying areas designated as Cupey Bajo (low) and the hills known as Cupey Alto (high).

The most current claim to fame of that area known as Cupey is that it is the birthplace and home of three-time world boxing champion Felix "Tito" Trinidad. Now, Tito Trinidad is insanely famous on the whole of Puerto Rico, so I wouldn't put it past some techie fan of him of pushing his homestead in the interwebs as THE capital of Puerto Rico - Cupey - above Rio Piedras and the whole of San Juan.

And that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks for the explanation! We love coming to San Juan, and I like to learn thing about the area.

Jodi

• 2 weeks later...