2013 Royal Princess Cruise Review with Kids

inghilch

How old are your children? I as because my mother and I were on the week before you and as I was a teen spent much of my time in Remix and saw all the Shockwaves having fun. They said that for the holidays they were bringing on lots of staff. Also as a competitive dancer I have to say that the new shows on Royal Princess were the best I have seen at sea(except for Blu Man Group on the Epic)and also thought that the singers and dancer were out of this world. Thoroughly entertained after every show including David Cats and Carlos Oscar(actually thought that The Unexpected Boys was my least favorite). Love the more upscale experience on Princess but thats just me.

My kids are age 5-9. As you said.. It "looked" like they were having fun. We have been cruising for years and their opinion was just ok. Too arts and crafty and electronic. Their favorite part was the disco night in Remix and creating air hockey and skeet ball competitions.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on the entertainment. Sure they were great if you were watching a dance recital. They were not broadway quality. Unexpected boys were very similar the Jersey Boys. I thought the piano entertainer Dwight had an incredible singing voice. By no means I'm saying they were bad. Just not extraordinary. The digital backgrounds were amazing.

Just wondering what your cruising experience is? Are you more used to Carnival or RCI?

My kids always had a great time with Princess kids' program. Even so, their favorite was RCI, but only when they had very small groups. They liked the energy level of their counselors. And yes, 10pm to pick up the kids from the kids' program means 10pm, not 10:10 or 10:30. We were never late because we knew the counselors needed their time off too. They can, and will, charge you if you're late.

To have a family of 4 in a regular balcony cabin is rough. Two people can fit somewhat comfortably, but IMO, no more than that. Next time, if you all need/want to share one cabin, I hope you can get that mini-suite you originally booked. You'll be a lot more comfortable.

Thanks for the review and welcome home! :)

Im happy to hear your experience was good. We have been on more NCL and RCI cruises. Only have been on Carnival once (the Breeze last Christmas). While maybe that was better for the kids, the service/food etc was sub par.

Regarding the kids club, I found the staff on Princess not energetic at all. The small groups agree are a bonus and my daughters loved their experience on a European RCI cruise we took in June.

I was late to pick up once at lunch because I forgot my ID and had to go from deck 16 to 8 then back to 17 via stairs because I couldn't get an elevator. I was maybe 5 minutes late and got a lecture even as I apologized breathless and sweating... We choose our cruises either based on a new ship or itinerary and this time choosing Princess hoping for a more upscale cruising experience on a new ship. We are a family of 6 and I booked 3 cabins. The grandparents in the 3rd. Because I lost my connecting my mom stayed with 2 kids in one balcony and my husband and I with the other two. My dad slept alone...

The cruise by no means was bad. There were many stand out great features. I just wanted to share my thoughts.. Many I jotted down on my iPad while cruising. Happy new year.

Thank you for your review and pictures very nice:)

Sorry to hear the problem with your cabin...makes it very tough with children. You said you prefer NCL and I can say it is not the line for us....don't cruise with children so that could be the difference:)

Thanks for explaining. I think that's one thing that you learn the more you travel - where you fit in best. What cruise line, what time of year, what type of cabin - all of that takes some time and lots of cruises to get honed in to your own likes/dislikes. Then when you think you've got it down, it's good to throw in a totally different cruise line just to mix it up a bit! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Op- Thanks for the review. I did not care for Princess with my kids and had similar issues. Simply two much TV, art, craft but not enough activities. I found Carnival did a much better job with the kids program. Yes, the cabins were a very tight squeeze. We needed to step outside to change our minds. Princess was not a good fit for our family vacation but Alaska made up for much that was missing. We have done Carnival (4x), RCL (8x) and Princess (2x) with another booked for mid February. We are booked for our anniversary. Since this is a new ship to explore, I won't be as bored but I know its coming:D The staff on Princess I found to be cordial more than friendly.

The Royal Princess for our 20th anniversary is the best fit for this occassion, so I look forward to it and what it has to offer. It's not always sticking to what you know but exploring to see what else is out there. I love RCL but won't turn a blind eye to others, when the price or timing is right. I doubt very much I would choose Princess or a family vacation again. Just my luck, I chose the boat that many here think should not have been built:D

Enjoyed your photo.

Pauline

Edited by Blk_Amish

I agree that the Princess youth program is not my favorite and not my son's favorite. But some things he loves about Princess are the Skywalker's lounge, the huge hot tubs on Deck 16, the indoor pool and the outdoor movie theater. My son is so excited to be sailing on any cruise ship! He loves the freedom and being able to have better food (at least selection wise) than Mom makes.

My son has enjoyed the ship entertainment as well. There are comedy shows and magic shows that he loves. He has had the opportunity to meet these entertainers and loves buying their dvd's and talking with them.

Honestly- My son and I would be hard pressed not to have fun on Princess. We cruise other lines too and each cruise line has it's strengths and weaknesses. Also the itinerary and time of year makes a difference as well. by that I mean that sometimes there aren't enough kids to make the youth program fun. If there aren't enough kids in their age group- they often combine the groups and sometimes don't keep to the schedule. This happens on all the cruise lines- I have noticed. Sometimes when there are too many kids then it gets chaotic and the kids don't like it.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain