How rare is it to get an upgrade call?

grumplin

I'm wondering how rare it is to get an upgrade call. We have only been on one previous cruise and got the call and did the upgrade. We booked 2 junior suites for our upcoming cruise. I looked and noticed there are lots of grand suites still open. I'm curious how likely it is too get a call from the upgrade fairy again. :) Editing because as Funinthesun pointed out it is an upgrade. So how likely is it to get an UPSALE call that upgrades without paying the full $400 extra per cabin difference between the JS and GS???

I do apologise for all my questions today:D

Edited by grumplin

I'm wondering how rare it is to get an upgrade call. We have only been on one previous cruise and got the call and did the upgrade. We booked 2 junior suites for our upcoming cruise. I looked and noticed there are lots of grand suites still open. I'm curious how likely it is too get a call from the upgrade fairy again. :)

I do apologise for all my questions today:D

Well, I think it is extremely rare. At times you may get an UPSELL call, that is where you are offered an upgrade at a cost, but upgrades are very far and few between, from what I'm aware.

Well, I think it is extremely rare. At times you may get an UPSELL call, that is where you are offered an upgrade at a cost, but upgrades are very far and few between, from what I'm aware.

Maybe I better word that better. I'm still learning the lingo. We got moved from a balcony on a lower deck further toward the back of the ship to the empress deck in the middle of the ship for $20 per person.

So how likely is something like that??

Upsell would be more likely. I was accepted an upsell offer to go from a midship balcony on empress deck to an Ocean Suite for $240 for a 4 day cruise on the Victory. I declined but asked for an aft wrap around and took that. If your cabin is in a prime area that they can sell quickly then an upsell call might be heading your way.

I have been on 10 Carnival cruises and never once received the call. I have been on a total of 15 or 16 cruises and we were upgraded on Disney once from an ocean view to a large balcony with split bath. It was a great surprise but once we didn't pay any extra for or even know about prior to checking in. Carnival has never yet called and would love to receive a call someday.....

Upsell would be more likely. I was accepted an upsell offer to go from a midship balcony on empress deck to an Ocean Suite for $240 for a 4 day cruise on the Victory. I declined but asked for an aft wrap around and took that. If your cabin is in a prime area that they can sell quickly then an upsell call might be heading your way.

I don't know if the junior suite is in that category but I can see there is only one left compared to quite a few grand suites open. I can hope :)

3 x in 25 Carnival cruises. Took one other two we thought was pitiful.

Believe we have gotten more than most.

I have been on 10 Carnival cruises and never once received the call. I have been on a total of 15 or 16 cruises and we were upgraded on Disney once from an ocean view to a large balcony with split bath. It was a great surprise but once we didn't pay any extra for or even know about prior to checking in. Carnival has never yet called and would love to receive a call someday.....

Looks like my odds of it happening again on our second cruise might be pretty slim then. I'm kind of wish we had booked 2 grand suites instead but no way do I want to pay an extra $800 for 2.

DISNEY that had to be sweet!!!

We have received a few upgrades and some upsell opportunities, some of which we took, some we didn't. In my opinion the more you paid for your current room category the more likely you are to receive a call.

Only been on 4 Carnival cruises but all were either in a smaller suite or aft wrap balcony. Never had a call for an upsell but I wouldn't have wanted to go anywhere on the aft wrap cruises.

We have received a few upgrades and some upsell opportunities, some of which we took, some we didn't. In my opinion the more you paid for your current room category the more likely you are to receive a call.

Hope so but only if it is a decent discount. I called and asked about it this morning. Still the $400 extra per room so $800 total. She told me to call again as it can change frequently. I sure hope we get a call. I would liketoo have two grand suites instead for a discount. Don't get me wrong though. We would have a blast regardless of the room.

Edited by grumplin

This is the first time ever that we've received an email for an upsell, but since we're happy where we are we passed on it.

We're doing B2B cruises and received an offer on each of them BUT not at the same time. We don't want to change cabins between cruises.

This is the first time ever that we've received an email for an upsell, but since we're happy where we are we passed on it.

We're doing B2B cruises and received an offer on each of them BUT not at the same time. We don't want to change cabins between cruises.

That's too bad they couldn't have coordinated offers.

I have been on 14 cruises and never got an upsell call. I have booked with a balcony cabin free upgrade, but that isn't the same thing.

A co-worker went on a 16 day Panama Canal on Princess and booked an inside. It was their first cruise. They got a call from their TA that Princess upgraded them FREE to a balcony cabin. Second cruise was a 16 day Asia cruise on Holland America. They booked an inside and were upgraded to an OV. Third cruise was a 12 day South American cruise to South America from California on Princess. I was so flipped freaked cuz they got, yet again, another cabin upgrade from a OV to a balcony.....three cruises and three upgrades. They didn't go on a cruise this year, but if they did, I am sure they would have gotten an upgrade......I was happy for them because she works her behind off and gets little respect or recognition.

I have been on 14 cruises and never got an upsell call. I have booked with a balcony cabin free upgrade, but that isn't the same thing.

A co-worker went on a 16 day Panama Canal on Princess and booked an inside. It was their first cruise. They got a call from their TA that Princess upgraded them FREE to a balcony cabin. Second cruise was a 16 day Asia cruise on Holland America. They booked an inside and were upgraded to an OV. Third cruise was a 12 day South American cruise to South America from California on Princess. I was so flipped freaked cuz they got, yet again, another cabin upgrade from a OV to a balcony.....three cruises and three upgrades. They didn't go on a cruise this year, but if they did, I am sure they would have gotten an upgrade......I was happy for them because she works her behind off and gets little respect or recognition.

Quite a lucky streak!!

On our second cruise we got upgraded from a oceanview to a grand suite on Carnival Paradise when it was seven days out of Miami. Have received several upsell calls but declined the offers.

We have been on 14 cruises, the upgrade was a true upgrade but that was in 2003. The upsell calls I didn't think were worth it.