Galveston Hotel..no car

didicruiser

There are only 2 hotels downtown, Tremont and Harbor House (Closed now for refurbishment).

The rest of are on the Seawall or scattered throughout the island.

Post some ideas and I will let you know about the location.

Some websites have maps showing the locations.

Nothing is more than a few minutes away, either within walking distance or by taxi.

The Galvez on the Seawall and Tremont downtown have a shuttle van that runs between the two. Expensive, but well worth it.

I will be staying one night pre-cruise. I will not have a car so location to stores, restaurants etc. within a mile to walk to is important. Any suggestions? TIA

Check out Hilton Island Resort on the Seawall. Free shuttle to cruise port, 5 minute walk to large Kroger store and choice of restaurants nearby (Landry's Seafood, Steakhouse at San Luis Resort, IHOP etc).

Hilton Island Resort is in a perfect location for access to restaurants and the Kroger grocery store. The restaurants are not the locally owned, one of a kind, but the food is good. The San Luis is near and has a great steakhouse and Grotto Italian restaurant.

Now -Sorry to say Holiday Inn Club Resorts is out on the West End of the island and not near anything. There is no local bus service there.

Your only option to go anywhere is a taxi. Look up their website which has a location map.

Basically, the in town area is anything east of 61St, behind the Seawall.

Don't hesitate to ask an questions as we live on the island in mid-town.

Hilton Island Resort is in a perfect location for access to restaurants and the Kroger grocery store. The restaurants are not the locally owned, one of a kind, but the food is good. The San Luis is near and has a great steakhouse and Grotto Italian restaurant.

Now -Sorry to say Holiday Inn Club Resorts is out on the West End of the island and not near anything. There is no local bus service there.

Your only option to go anywhere is a taxi. Look up their website which has a location map.

Basically, the in town area is anything east of 61St, behind the Seawall.

Don't hesitate to ask an questions as we live on the island in mid-town.

Hi, We have reservations at two hotels. SpringHill Suites Galveston Island & TownePlace Suites Galveston Island Gulf Front. We are still deciding on which hotel reservation to keep...any input is appreciated. Thanks

Hi, We have reservations at two hotels. SpringHill Suites Galveston Island & TownePlace Suites Galveston Island Gulf Front. We are still deciding on which hotel reservation to keep...any input is appreciated. Thanks

Spring Hill is at 61st and Broadway, the main thoroughfare to the island. A commercial/industrial area with Home Depot, Target, Petsmart, etc across the highway. Not much else.

Towne Place is near the beginning of West End (89th St) and not walkable to really anything. The Gulf is across the street, but no beach access as it is all boulders. Walmart is at 65th, but a long walk. Restaurants on the Seawall are east of 53rd St.

If you have a car, neither is a problem. Spring Hill is closer to the port, Towne Place will have a better view.

The island is only 32 miles long and 2 miles at its widest point. But West End seems like a long way from town. But that is being spoiled living in mid-town and just minutes from everything.

Edited by Galveston Cruiser

Spring Hill is at 61st and Broadway, the main thoroughfare to the island. A commercial/industrial area with Home Depot, Target, Petsmart, etc across the highway. Not much else.

Towne Place is near the beginning of West End (89th St) and not walkable to really anything. The Gulf is across the street, but no beach access as it is all boulders. Walmart is at 65th, but a long walk. Restaurants on the Seawall are east of 53rd St.

If you have a car, neither is a problem. Spring Hill is closer to the port, Towne Place will have a better view.

The island is only 32 miles long and 2 miles at its widest point. But West End seems like a long way from town. But that is being spoiled living in mid-town and just minutes from everything.

Thank you so much for the info. This is our first time cruising out of Galveston port and we are looking forward to it. We want to be near the port so we will keep our reservations at SpringHill. Patricia

There are only 2 hotels downtown, Tremont and Harbor House (Closed now for refurbishment).

The rest of are on the Seawall or scattered throughout the island.

Post some ideas and I will let you know about the location.

Some websites have maps showing the locations.

Nothing is more than a few minutes away, either within walking distance or by taxi.

The Galvez on the Seawall and Tremont downtown have a shuttle van that runs between the two. Expensive, but well worth it.

Galveston Cruiser can I ask you for some advice as well. I need a hotel with free parking for cruise duration that's not more than $120.00. I am getting sticker shock from the prices now. We cruise May 18th so just need one night pre cruise May 17th check out 18th and free parking. Can you help? Please and thanks in advance!

Can I get anyone's thoughts on taking a taxi from the IAH airport to Humble,TX as opposed to picking up car at the airport to save a ton of money?

Also, what has been the word lately on the former Holiday Inn Sunspree now the Galveston beach hotel? Is it really that bad??

Thanks! :D

Can I get anyone's thoughts on taking a taxi from the IAH airport to Humble,TX as opposed to picking up car at the airport to save a ton of money?

Also, what has been the word lately on the former Holiday Inn Sunspree now the Galveston beach hotel? Is it really that bad??

Thanks! :D

The airport is basically in Humble.

Right looks like it is about 5 miles and about $15-$20 taxi ride, is that correct?

The difference in the rental price is about $250.00 for a 9 day rental :eek: And I can drop it off at the airport when heading back for our flights home.

Wow, I knew IAH had sky high rates didn't realize that high though. I would jump on that plan.

I wouldn't go by the posted rates as it is not high season, school is still in and they do discount.

Gaido's Seaside Inn

Beachfront Palms Hotel

The Commodore

Belmont

Days Inn

Also check through some of the discount websites.

Good Luck

I tried Trivago, Kayak and even the Galveston dot com site but prices are crazy

The Beachfront Palms Hotel was pretty cheap But had read reviews about bugs and I was concerned.

Stayed at the Commodore before and Gaidos. Gaidos needed better cleaning of the room, they still had mardi gras beads on the floor LOL

Thank You I will look at the Days Inn . Any websites u suggest I haven't mentioned

I wouldn't go by the posted rates as it is not high season, school is still in and they do discount.

Gaido's Seaside Inn

Beachfront Palms Hotel

The Commodore

Belmont

Days Inn

Also check through some of the discount websites.

Good Luck

Thanks for your suggestions. I bit the bullet and booked Beachfront Palms Hotel for under $100.00. As long as they allow cruise parking I am set. Will just take a taxi to and from the port back to the hotel.

Thanks again for your help.