What about Carnival ??

Rock712

I don't see Carnival mentioned much. Did a Cruisetour several years ago w/ Princess and had a great time. Looking at a possible RT out of Seattle in June on the Carnival Miracle. Any positive or negative feedback.

I don't see Carnival mentioned much. Did a Cruisetour several years ago w/ Princess and had a great time. Looking at a possible RT out of Seattle in June on the Carnival Miracle. Any positive or negative feedback.

Carnival doesn't do cruise tours in Alaska . They only do 7 day round trip from Seattle. The cruise portion of a cruise tour has to start or end in Vancouver. This due to an American law that prohibits Foreign Flagged ships from carrying passengers or freight between two American ports without visiting a distant foreign port (Vancouver, Victoria or Prince Rupert don't count).

To answer your question. Carnival does a good job in Alaska, and if continuing- has one of the top Alaska ship naturalists, who significantly, can enhance your trip. Very involved with what's outside the ship and available to passengers. :) Despite what may be "assumed", Carnival WILL not be a party ship, like those sailing the Caribbean. Demographics will be the SAME as all the other lines sailing Alaska, bulk middle aged and above, with ALL ages sailing. They also will NOT have the activities of the Caribbean sailing.

The one feature of the itinerary- I highly recommend the Tracy Arm ship excursion as "necessary" so consider budgeting accordingly. It is grossly superior to the cruise ship sailing.

I have sailed Princess 3 times to Alaska. My last Alaskan

cruise was Carnival. I loved them all. To me Glacier Bay is a major deciding factor. For that, Princess rules! My Carnival cruise did go to Sitka, which was a nice port. All that being said, we have a Princess booked for this summer.

We will be on the Carnival Miracle Sept 10 -18th

Questions about Glacier Bay? I see we are there But Not porting there so we just float on through it all day? ( thats fine just curious)

Also best place to pan for gold

Juneau

Sitka

kethikan or Skagway?

Thanks

Questions about Glacier Bay? I see we are there But Not porting there so we just float on through it all day? ( thats fine just curious)

Juneau

Sitka

kethikan or Skagway?

Thanks

I was on the Miracle on the Glacier Bay sailing this past September & loved it. On page page I have a bunch of pictures of Glacier Bay - it was truly amazing! Yes, to answer your question you float through all day.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1929967

Juneau

Sitka

kethikan or Skagway?

Thanks

Glacier Bay is not a port, it is a multi hour scenic sailing day. You will see at least 4 glaciers, in Sept, probably the John Hopkins as well. Be aware that the glaciers are seen about 3 hours after entry, but this pre and post area is wildlife loaded potential. I am out at least an hour prior to the post times. IF early morning, then I'm out at least a 1/2 hour prior to dawn.

Read up on the area http://www.nps.gov/glba

agree.. we are booked on Carnival for August, r/t seattle to alsaka.... i have never been on a "bad" cruise because i think its all about what you make it.. but we prefer carnival.. we are early 50's... did the new Ruby princess last year and it was not great, and we were bored and disappointed but hey, we were on a cruise! love love LOVE Miracle.. we get the aft-wrap suites.. perfect for alaska, IMHO... enjoy!

Juneau

Sitka

kethikan or Skagway?

Thanks

Hi Angie!!! We'll be shipmates! Be sure to check out our Roll Call! Im looking to gold pan too. So far the best place Im inding is Skagway but its a dredge and very touristy. We might take the ferry to Haines and pan Porcupine Creek :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all for the replies. We decided to book the Miracle for June 24th to celebrate my wifes big "rhymes with nifty " birthday celebration.

Honestly , I know they catch a lot of grief for being the Walmart of the seas , but we've cruised several times now with Carnival , and we've always had a great time.

Thanks to all for the replies. We decided to book the Miracle for June 24th to celebrate my wifes big "rhymes with nifty " birthday celebration.

Honestly , I know they catch a lot of grief for being the Walmart of the seas , but we've cruised several times now with Carnival , and we've always had a great time.

When you cruise Alaska, it does not matter which ship. Its all about Alaska! :)