Experience with new texas tax Magic New Years

vettecruiser1

Just got off magic. They are only taxing texas residents. After clearing customs there are people that ask you about if you bought liquor or tobacco and they are looking for those boxes of booze. We were given a letter on the ship that if you are not from texas then to state this and show ID and they would let you bypass the duty line. This line is right before you get outside. By the way I thought this was going to slow the process down but today was the fastest I was off the ship 15 minutes. Out of room at 7:30 in car at 7:45.

If you have any question I will try to answer. New Years party was insane. Most fun I have had on New Year's Eve ever.

Good to hear that they're not taxing non-residents. The time, hassle, and expense to get to Galveston from the Houston airports already make Galveston uncompetitive for a non-resident who, if flying, might as well just fly to another homeport for a similar itinerary if cruising out of Texas becomes too much of a hassle.

Just got off magic. They are only taxing texas residents. After clearing customs there are people that ask you about if you bought liquor or tobacco and they are looking for those boxes of booze. We were given a letter on the ship that if you are not from texas then to state this and show ID and they would let you bypass the duty line. This line is right before you get outside. By the way I thought this was going to slow the process down but today was the fastest I was off the ship 15 minutes. Out of room at 7:30 in car at 7:45.

If you have any question I will try to answer. New Years party was insane. Most fun I have had on New Year's Eve ever.

Wow glad it went fast. for you. Someone on the Magic posted this morning said they were still debarking at 11:00.

Wait' date=' we're being taxed now? I've only left out of Galveston 2x and this year I have 2 Galveston departures. This sucks

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Forums mobile app[/quote']

Yep... New Texas liquor taxes started Jan 1st. :(

Yep... New Texas liquor taxes started Jan 1st. :(

Did some searching and found it. That blows. And I live here...it's been on the news, but I don't watch.

Too bad my cruises aren't out of the Port of Houston; the taxe doesn't begin until the fall.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Forums mobile app