First time cruiser questions

marsworth75

I'm looking for some insight from the well travelled NCL cruisers.

We are going to be cruising on the Star to the Panama Canal

GIven the choice of aft balcony (B1) on Deck 9 and a (SJ) Family suite on Deck 12 with no balcony, which would you choose?

GIven the choice of aft balcony (B1) on Deck 9 and a (SJ) Family suite on Deck 12 with no balcony, which would you choose?

Personal choice here. I would go with the balcony.

What about suite perks vs no perks

Interesting twist. If you receive OBC for the suite..Hmmm. :confused:. This could be tough.....Sorry gotta have the aft balcony :D

You'll really enjoy the views from the back of the ship as well as when you're going through the canal - you'll really be able to see the interworkings of the locks - it's awesome!

Go AFT!

I'm looking for some insight from the well travelled NCL cruisers.

We are going to be cruising on the Star to the Panama Canal

How many of you will be in the cabin and what time of year are you going? Those things would make a difference in my choice for me.

Having sailed on Star in SJ suite, the choice of suite would be a nobrainer to me. While aft balcony would be nice and exciting place to be during the locks, the floor to ceiling windows in SJ suite combined with close proximity of outside decks and suite perks (especially the suite breakfast that is served in the same venue that serves as Cagney's steakhouse in the evenings) are amazing - I too had doubts about not having a balcony but from the first second stepping into the suite I was sold! SJ suites are in my and many others' opinion the hidden gem (and usually a bargain) in the whole NCL fleet.

We'll be going in January, Just the 2 of us, 30th wedding anniversary celebration

Now it depends on how much you two would really use the balcony. If you think you would really use it - get that one.

If there had been more than 2 of you, the room the SJ affords would have been a no-brainer for me (almost double that of the other one). Also, Cagney's for breakfast & lunch for two weeks would have pushed it over the top for sure.

How lovely. As you can see, then, there is a real split view on this. Do you think you might want a bigger cabin, and the option for free meals ? Or will you have the opportunity to use the balcony more ?

Horses for courses. However I am absolutely sure that whichever you choose you will have a wonderful trip with NCL, a really special anniversary.

Congratulations to you both.

For us, it's balcony....or no cruise. We love sitting out morning, evening, anytime, or just hanging over the balcony railing while in port and watching all the happenings. A balcony is our personal and quiet escape. Also, although all the ships are well stabilized and the seas are generally smooth, the top/forward area of the ships, if there is motion, have more motion than the other parts of the ship. The front of the ship tends to pitch up and down more while the back just seems to settle in.

• 2 weeks later...

We were in an SJ suite on the Star for a Panama Canal cruise in January 2011. We usually book balcony cabins or suites with balcony but on this cruise we did not miss having a balcony. It was so hot outside while going through the canal that many people could only stay outside a few minutes at a time. We had that wall of windows in out nicely airconditioned suite. I had taken along some yarn and tied up the drapes so they would not obstruct the view and this worked well for us.

Do these suites still have the ceiling to floor red drapes for the windows and to divide the bedroom area from the living room/ dining room areas?

We are booked in an SJ suite for our next Panama Canal cruise, January 2015. We really enjoyed the breakfast and lunch in Cagneys and the hot and cold hordeores (can't spell) and the wonderful coffee maker. Hope they still have them.

We are booked in an SJ suite for our next Panama Canal cruise, January 2015. We really enjoyed the breakfast and lunch in Cagneys and the hot and cold hordeores (can't spell) and the wonderful coffee maker. Hope they still have them.

Hi, Is there a charge for breakfast or lunch in Cagneys if you are not in a suite?