Immunizations

Does anyone know about immunizations for the Baltic countries. I read that Hepatits A is recommended for Russia. Does anyone have any advice?

Alice

On my pre cruise docs from Princess it said that no innoculations were necessary, so that's good enough for me!!

According to the advice given by the British Government immunization is required only for certain parts of Russia. If you are visiting places like St Petersburg or Moscow you will be fine. the risk areas are in the country and teh war torn ares sucha s Chechnya

Does anyone know about immunizations for the Baltic countries. I read that Hepatits A is recommended for Russia. Does anyone have any advice?
I've always been told that I shouldn't really even travel as far as my office without polio, typhoid, hepatitis A and tetanus. If you have these 4, there are very few places in the world for which you will need anything more, even on a "recommended" basis.

For St Petersburg, some people will also recommend diphtheria.

None of these are required, but for the minimal inconvenience and cost - bearing in mind the long length of time that most of these jabs are now good for - I take the view that there is nothing to lose.

Alice: The Center for Disease Control (CDC) recommends shots for Hep A & B, boosters for tetanus/diphtheria (they come as one shot), measles for travel to Russia. I noticed they've dropped the recommendation for polio.

http://www.cdc.gov/travel/easteurp.htm

There is a notice on Mumps outbreaks in Britian, so DH & I got all those shots too. I ended up with MMR (Mumps), polio booster, Tetanus/Diphtheria (Td), and a Hep A; two shots in each arm. (I ran a tiny bit of a fever that day and needed to nap for two hours. The arm where Td was injected was sore for a week. No other side effects.) We did the series of Hep B years ago. Need only two shots of Hep A six months apart.

Neither of us had gotten Mumps immunization before, so we included those. Both of us were overdue for the tetanus shots (should get one every 10 years!) Luckily, our health insurance covers the expense.

For us, it's worth the time and trouble to be worry free.

brigid-

I agree with the two posts above and would rather take a stick in the arm than even take a chance on being exposed to some of these things. Diptheria is not frequently contracted but 10% of those who do contract it die, so I'll take the shot, thank you ma'am. My insurance also covers. I also just wanted to note that my GP is recommending Hep A in our area for everyone due to a recent outbreak in Tennessee.

Happy and safe travels to all,

Donna

Archived