Royal Caribbean Visa Card Pointers

I am not a huge fan of credit cards, especially when they are used irresponsibly. However, I just had mine mailed to me today. The incentives seem pretty good if your a fan of Royal.

Fellow card holders, please give me some hints on how to maximize my points. I plan on using it sometimes, then paying it off immediately.

:D

I am not a huge fan of credit cards, especially when they are used irresponsibly. However, I just had mine mailed to me today. The incentives seem pretty good if your a fan of Royal.

Fellow card holders, please give me some hints on how to maximize my points. I plan on using it sometimes, then paying it off immediately.

Look for the redemption options that pay double. For example, a 50K reward gets you a $500 discount or a $500 OBC. However, if you use the free 3/4 day cruise option, you can get up to $1000. There are other redemption options tha pay double.

Here is one thing we did: We pay almost all of our normal bills online nowadays, so we would use the card to pay our electric, water, natural gas, and cable bills. We had the money for these normal monthly expenses anyway and we would make sure that the card was paid off monthly and carry no balance. This allowed us to rack up some extra points quickly.

The card can be a great benefit if you are disciplined and use it wisely! We have never paid interest and have gotten 2 $500 discounts on cruises past!

This is a dumb question so I apologize in advance. I work for a mortgage company so I know you can't use unsecured debt to pay secured debt but can you pay your credit card bills with another credit or debit card? I am debt free but am looking at possibly getting this credit card for the perks and to enhance my credit score. I just want to make sure that there are varied payment options available before I commit. Thanks!

This is a dumb question so I apologize in advance. I work for a mortgage company so I know you can't use unsecured debt to pay secured debt but can you pay your credit card bills with another credit or debit card? I am debt free but am looking at possibly getting this credit card for the perks and to enhance my credit score. I just want to make sure that there are varied payment options available before I commit. Thanks!

Sure, you can use one credit card to pay for another. They usually call that "balance transfer", and everytime I've seen it, it incurs a fee similar to a cash advance.

I believe to pay another credit card debt you would have to get a cash advance which would not earn any points. How ever you can pay routine bills with the credit card and earn points.

Here is one thing we did: We pay almost all of our normal bills online nowadays, so we would use the card to pay our electric, water, natural gas, and cable bills. We had the money for these normal monthly expenses anyway and we would make sure that the card was paid off monthly and carry no balance. This allowed us to rack up some extra points quickly.

The card can be a great benefit if you are disciplined and use it wisely! We have never paid interest and have gotten 2 $500 discounts on cruises past!

That is what we do as well. We also use the 15,000 point upgrade award which has a value of up to $300 to max the points.

Sure, you can use one credit card to pay for another. They usually call that "balance transfer", and everytime I've seen it, it incurs a fee similar to a cash advance.

Thanks, Bob! I'll definitely avoid using my debit card then. I don't want to incur additional fees. I appreciate your response. :)

I believe to pay another credit card debt you would have to get a cash advance which would not earn any points. How ever you can pay routine bills with the credit card and earn points.

Thanks! The perks definitely make this card attractive. I appreciate your help. :)

Look for the redemption options that pay double. For example, a 50K reward gets you a $500 discount or a $500 OBC. However, if you use the free 3/4 day cruise option, you can get up to $1000. There are other redemption options tha pay double.

I will definitely look out for this!

I was thinking this as well. Are you still doing this? You mentioned this in past tense.

I will definitely look out for this!

I was thinking this as well. Are you still doing this? You mentioned this in past tense.

We still do this. Our cable bill is automatically charged to the card. Also the phone and electric bills. The card is paid off monthly.

Points expire after 5 yrs. We keep ours current because they always tell you that the T&C'S are subject to change at any time

For example, the target card used to build rewards anywhere you used it. Now its only when you purchase in their stores

When my kids were in college I used it to pay tuition and then paid off the bills at the end of each month. Got lots of points that way. My county allows me to charge property taxes (which in NY is big) but they charge 3% so we dont do that. I charge all that I can as long as it doesnt cost me anything and end up with significant points.

Mike

Like someone else posted don't forget that the points start to expire on a first in first out basis.

Also they changed the terms in September and a lot of the awards now (except for use as onboard credit) are not combinable with a lot of other C and A benefits and special discounted rates (senior, residents, military) like they used to be.