Bigger balcony for Canaries cruise early June?

nellydean

Hi,

I have a cruise consultant ringing me in a few minutes to confirm a booking, and I wanted to ask if it would be worth getting a bigger balcony for a cruise that leaves on May 31st and heads down to the Canaries.

At the moment, we have a premium balcony booked, which costs £120 more than the next grade down (state room is the same size, apparently). I persuaded my husband to go for the bigger balcony, but I am having second thoughts, as I am thinking now that the weather at that time of year, going from Southampton to the Canaries wll be cool, especially as the first 3 sailing days are at the beginning.

Like the idea of a bigger balcony, but don't want to book one if we find it's too cold to sit on it!

Many thanks.

Helen

I am booked on the same cruise.

Unless there are more than 2 or 3 of you, the normal balconies on Emerald Princess are big enough.

The big balconies are on Carribe deck, twice the size and half covered so if it is raining, but still warm you can keep dry. Most of the cabins on Carribe are standard size, you pay the extra for the big balcony. Except dolphin deck (mini suites) most of the others are fuly covered.

Thought I would just add, I did the same cruise a couple of years ago and we had exceptionally bad weather. Of the 18 days I was on the ship (Norway first, then Canaries as a B2B) there were only 3 without rain. That is almost unheard of, but it was still fairly warmish going to canaries.

Edited by SwissDave

Thought I would just add, I did the same cruise a couple of years ago and we had exceptionally bad weather. Of the 18 days I was on the ship (Norway first, then Canaries as a B2B) there were only 3 without rain. That is almost unheard of, but it was still fairly warmish going to canaries.

Many thanks for your quick reply. I have changed the booking to a standard balcony cabin on Baja, a deck up from Caribe, where we originally were.

I justified it by thinking we could put the £120 we save towards an excursion, plus, my husband will be pleased it's cheaper!

Hope for better weather than you had, as we can't go sooner or later.

A question, though - if you are located in Switzerland, how are you getting to the ship?!

I'm just about to book this one too, typically I noticed that we don't get the free bottle of wine the Yanks are being offered!

The weather on the way down could go either way, in 2012 we did a May cruise and it was glorious from Southampton. Since 10 of the 11 days are in 'Flaming June' I'm hoping to get away with not packing a sweater or kagol.

Many thanks for your quick reply. I have changed the booking to a standard balcony cabin on Baja, a deck up from Caribe, where we originally were.

I justified it by thinking we could put the £120 we save towards an excursion, plus, my husband will be pleased it's cheaper!

Hope for better weather than you had, as we can't go sooner or later.

A question, though - if you are located in Switzerland, how are you getting to the ship?!

I will fly to Heathrow the day before, and take the train down to Southampton the morning I board the ship. I will already be on the ship for this cruise as I am doing the previous cruise as well (France/Spain)

I'm just about to book this one too, typically I noticed that we don't get the free bottle of wine the Yanks are being offered!

The weather on the way down could go either way, in 2012 we did a May cruise and it was glorious from Southampton. Since 10 of the 11 days are in 'Flaming June' I'm hoping to get away with not packing a sweater or kagol.

(For nellydean as well)I just remembered that there is a 3 for free promotion being offered on some of the cruises for UK people, certainly the one departing 24th May, where you can get a free balcony category upgrade, free photo with frame, and OBC to use against shore excursions. It wasnt offered to me for this cruise, but would be worth asking about just in case.

I will pack a light jacket just in case, but I'm the sort who doesnt feel the cold - T-shirts when it's snowing type of person :) but I dont like geting wet.

All booked on Riviera deck, I have been watching the cabins slowly disappear so thought it best to book now!

Got the upgrade to a balcony and $50 each excursion credit and $100 from my future cruise credit. I'm not really fussed about the portrait picture but since its free...

Just hope they put the all inclusive drinks package on by the time we sail :)

We're also booked on this cruise, booked it last September. Have had a pricedrop honoured by Princess since then which reduced our cruise price by £400. We're also on Baja. There is also a very quiet Rollcall already going for this cruise.

We did this,same,cruise last year and are booked on it again. The weather was great all the way down and back. Not one rainy day and could sit out every day on our large balcony on active deck. We are also doing the next 17 day cruise,as a b2b. Really you just take the,weather as,it comes.

I will fly to Heathrow the day before, and take the train down to Southampton the morning I board the ship. I will already be on the ship for this cruise as I am doing the previous cruise as well (France/Spain)

(For nellydean as well)I just remembered that there is a 3 for free promotion being offered on some of the cruises for UK people, certainly the one departing 24th May, where you can get a free balcony category upgrade, free photo with frame, and OBC to use against shore excursions. It wasnt offered to me for this cruise, but would be worth asking about just in case.

I will pack a light jacket just in case, but I'm the sort who doesnt feel the cold - T-shirts when it's snowing type of person :) but I dont like geting wet.

OK, I just assumed with the Scottish flag you'd be travelling down from there, until I saw the location, and thought that was quite a long journey - but it's probably just as quick to get from Switzerland by plane/train than from north of the border?

Thanks for all the info, really looking forward to this one, as it's an area we have not been to before.

We got the 3 offers, we chose our cabin, but she said it was still a lot cheaper than it would have been, due to a heavy promotion; plus, we get $100 towards an excursion, which will come in handy, and the portrait, which we are not fussed about - unless my diet has been very successful!

Edited by nellydean

We're also booked on this cruise, booked it last September. Have had a pricedrop honoured by Princess since then which reduced our cruise price by £400. We're also on Baja. There is also a very quiet Rollcall already going for this cruise.

Thanks, I will take a look at that.