Nickle and dime

bonniboo1

Exactly, they can't add it in advance because the consumption (that is the whole reason for the tax) is not known. I meant that VAT added to onboard purchases is "nickle and diming" as much as port taxes and fees on top of the base fare are - all are government or port operator expenses that are not controlled by the cruise line.

Gottcha! Thanks for the clarification.

Harriet

23 years ago, we sailed on the pacific princess. It was old, but food and service was great. Booked an inside, got upgraded to a full window. Cost us $7000. (This does not include tips, tours, flights or drinks for 2. It was a 12 day cruise. Today I get a 12 day cruise for 2 at a total of $2500. - $3000. And I have a balcony. Even if spent another $600 for the 2 of us to eat in the speciality restaurants every day, with extra special service, we would still be better off. Considering gas, wages etc etc. have gone up, paying a little extra for this and that is no big deal. When I see people whining, I say, since it's so good elsewhere GO!

Using an inflation calculator, I will bolster your argument by the following facts.

The item you purchased in 1991 (23 years ago) for $7000.00 would cost $ 11,978 and change in todays dollars.

That makes the value of today's cruises much more of a bargain. However, it will not silence those who want to whine about the cutbacks and extra charges however minor they may be !!

http://www.usinflationcalculator.com

Using an inflation calculator, I will bolster your argument by the following facts.

The item you purchased in 1991 (23 years ago) for $7000.00 would cost $ 11,978 and change in todays dollars.

That makes the value of today's cruises much more of a bargain. However, it will not silence those who want to whine about the cutbacks and extra charges however minor they may be !!

http://www.usinflationcalculator.com

Always the smart one , always with the numbers ...;)

Yep still a bargain .

Why can't we all get along?

We can . Just think of it like Christmas at Aunt Clairs with All the relatives...:D

You may want to kill cousin Phil but you know its only the punch talkin..

tight sails

Edited by mpk218

I just think that the special restaurant, are getting a bit to high in price. Ocean blue $50. The rest of the restaurants keep raising there prices.

You say they keep raising their prices, which would suggest that price increases are a regular thing.

I know there was an increase last year. When was the one previous to that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We just returned from the Pearl on Sunday. We did this 7 day to relax from a stressful Fall and did not intend to purchase much on board. We had a balcony on deck 8. This was our 4th NCL cruise.

We did no Specialty dining, no shore excursions except a day pass to Jamaica Grand and no drink package.

I brought on 2 bottles of wine and Hubby purchased 4 "buckets of beer", our on board bill was $325.76 which included the $168 service charge.

My point to this ramble is, we knew what things cost and chose not to buy them this trip. The main dining rooms had great food at dinner, the Blue Lagoon had wonderful breakfasts and late night food. There was always something to do.

Cruising is a choice and so is buying things on board, this trip we just chose not to spend and had a wonderful, relaxing trip. Vacation is always what you make it.

Cruise On!

Lynda

American Airlines flat out markets this way. I had to pay for "choice" and that choice was to pick my seat. I think it was at least $20 and the throw in some other "perks" with it. I am claustrophobic (I am the only person that didn't love the studio room on the Epic) so I will not sit on the inside of a row/middle/window so it was worth it to me, but you used to be able to choose your seat with your fare.

I fly exclusively with AA and have always been able to choose my own seat without paying a extra fee. I just booked my airfare to Barcelona and was able to choose my own seats without any issues or extra fees.

Edited by Bocadude85

I do have a problem with the NCL specialty restaurants. I feel that the price they are charging is rater high. First, you are giving up a meal in the MDR. That is a saving there. Teppanyaki. I can go to this type of restaurant at home for just about the same price. Cagney’s, you can go to outback for a little more than $30. Pizza "room service" $ 5, There only one late night restaurants open. But if you order pizza its $5.

Are we not paying for Room service in our cruise price? But they need to make money, and if you want it you will pay attitude.

If you think about it. If you go to a local bar, your drink price includes, bar rent, electric, heat, insurance, repairs and owners profit. On a ship your cruise fair should be paying for most of this and their bar are not that less expensive than TGIFridays.

That nickel and dimeing

Edited by jakeT

Again,:the specialties are an option. There is still plenty of good food to eat otherwise. Every time that I go to one I think that it's a good deal compared to going out @ home. However this is just my opinion.

There are people, like myself, that have pretty simplistic taste so I don't have to have fancy food that I pay for... even the stuff in the MDR is much more extravagant than what I eat at home typically. LOL

I just think that the special restaurant, are getting a bit to high in price. Ocean blue $50. The rest of the restaurants keep raising there prices.

I too think that is quite steep. Initially the concept on the specialty restaurants was for a "nominal additional fee". This is much more than "nominal".

Now I know there are lots of people who will say you don't have to eat there, and that is true and I do not have a problem with that. Where I do have a problem is, if one chooses to only eat in the MDR's and the food or service has been diminished over the years, in favor of the specialty restaurants, then that is not right.

The 2 other times I cruised, in the late 90's, I found the MDR's to be outstanding, (Premier and Carnival). Always very good and tasty, outstanding service, etc. Yet many here on CC have told me that it's no longer like that on most of the cruise lines and ships. So one of the big draws about cruising, that almost all is paid for, has really been diminished if this is what they are doing.

FYI, on my upcoming cruise, we plan to only eat in the MDR's and make the best of it. I hope to be pleasantly surprised and find it better than what many have said it to be like.

Edited by QuiGonJohn

Prices do raise but so does the cost of doing business, compare today's prices with the ones below. Really not much of a change for 12 years.

Today the ships have a lot more to offer and with more the costs need to raise.

Here are some pricing from our cruise on the MS Norwegian Sky, September 15, 2002.

Specialty Restaurants: Only three choices and there is a cover charge of $10.00 p/p in each of these Specialty Restaurants.

Horizons (Fine Italian Cuisine)

Le Bistro (French Mediterranean Cuisine)

Ciao-Chow (Sushi & Asian Cuisine)

Corkage Fee: A $10.00 corkage fee per bottle applies to all wine not purchased from NCL.

Wines: (Freestyle suggested wines & beverage promotions.)

White wine range from $22.00 to $34.00 per bottle.

Red wine range from $22.0 to $35.00 per bottle.

Coffee of the day $4.50.

Drink of the day $6.00 in a souvenir glass.

Fruit Smoothie w/ alcohol $5.50 and $6.95 in a souvenir glass.

Bar Special 4 beers in a bucket domestic $9.95 & imported $12.00.

Miscellaneous items:

Morning or Evening Yoga $5.00 fee.

Wine tasting seminar $10.00 fee.

24 hour Internet Cafe special - 40 cents per minute for 250 minutes and 55 cents per minute for 100 minutes.

Prices taken from the Freestyle Daily from September 15, 2002 thru September 22, 2002 cruise.

Edited by DDMau

I do have a problem with the NCL specialty restaurants. I feel that the price they are charging is rater high. First, you are giving up a meal in the MDR. That is a saving there. Teppanyaki. I can go to this type of restaurant at home for just about the same price. Cagney’s, you can go to outback for a little more than $30. Pizza "room service" $ 5, There only one late night restaurants open. But if you order pizza its $5.

Are we not paying for Room service in our cruise price? But they need to make money, and if you want it you will pay attitude.

If you think about it. If you go to a local bar, your drink price includes, bar rent, electric, heat, insurance, repairs and owners profit. On a ship your cruise fair should be paying for most of this and their bar are not that less expensive than TGIFridays.

That nickel and dimeing

Oh, does Outback have roast duck now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

That nickel and dimeing

What does this even mean....

That nickel and dimeing

You don't NEED to pay for speciality restaurants in order to be able to cruise. By definition "nickel & dime" refers to something that is mandatory but is not included in the base price.

Also you really need to write more clearly, your reference to TGI Fridays makes no sense. Why would the prices even need to be less than in bars on land? On land there is a lot of competition within few hundred feet, on a cruise ship you have no other suppliers competing for the business of the passenger - we're lucky that the prices in fact are less than on land. Also the majority of your cruises base price goes to food and hotel operations - alcoholic beverages are not included so costs associated to them are charged from the passenger.

You say they keep raising their prices, which would suggest that price increases are a regular thing.

I know there was an increase last year. When was the one previous to that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No one has to choose the specialty dining rooms, it is a choice, just like on all cruise lines today, but for the most part NCLs specialty dining rooms are a lot less than other lines or land based restaurants. Depending on the location, here in America at Le Bistro quality meal would cost a min of $40 including an appetizer and probably closer to $50 or $60.00. escargot alone would be about $10.00. What is it on NCL ships? We all know the answer: $20.00.

I fly exclusively with AA and have always been able to choose my own seat without paying a extra fee. I just booked my airfare to Barcelona and was able to choose my own seats without any issues or extra fees.

Hardly a fair comparison: if you are able to pick you seats without paying extra on AA you are a very frequent flyer, not just an occasional vacation traveler. We also fly AA almost exclusively but we also have to pay extra because we do not have enough miles to be gold or anything near.

Cagney’s, you can go to outback for a little more than $30.

I'm a foodie and do NOT consider Cagney's anything close to Outback.

As a matter of fact.....I refuse to go to Outback.

You are really saying that the food, service, etc. is the same at Outback as it is at Cagney's?

Harriet

That nickel and dimeing

You certainly can't put Outback and Cagney's in the same class or maybe to you they are the same. Plus you can not eat for $25 or even $30 at Outback if you add a decent appetizer . As for Teppanyaki's, again, I don't know where you live, but here, we have Kobe's and it is more than Teppanaki's. As for room service and getting pizza cause it is the only place open late at night; what about Blue lagoon? Sorry, I have to totally disagree with you on this one. The best value there is on NLC is the specialty dining rooms.