Flying in day of cruise

acallahan

Just another perspective here. We've done that three times before without any trouble. The first two times were when I was in medical school and then resident when getting even a few extra hours off to fly down the night before was simply not possible. The last time was for an eight night cruise so again, impossible to go the night before. Also, the last time we went with a baby and a two year old so with needing car seats and cribs an whatnot, getting a hotel one night before wasn't such a simply feat. We always get insurance so that we can at least be financially whole if we miss the boat and acknowledge ahead of time that missing the boat is a small but real possibility. We also live in atlanta though so weather is usually on our side and the next flight out is never a long time away. Also, we never have connecting flights.

Living in Atlanta does not eliminate the need to be careful about flying in the day of. I live in Atlanta and had to fly to two places for work last week. I had direct flights to Dallas and Phoenix. The incoming planes were delayed due to weather in the north. Both legs of my Dallas trip were delayed. Anything can happen. It is a good idea not to play it so close unless there is no other option. I can understand issues with getting time off work and etc.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Last time we flew in the day of the cruise and it worked out alright. It was a nonstop flight so I was not super worried but as it landed at 11:30am I was sweating it a bit.

Flying in from Minneapolis there are very few options during the AM timeframe.

For our next cruise I have opted for disney ground transportation and might considering to fly in the day before. What time do I have to be back at airport for transportation and will they take my luggage from there? I still have to haul it to the hotel and back.

Is the airport hotel real expen$$$ive?

Edited by Toopicky

For our next cruise I have opted for disney ground transportation and might considering to fly in the day before. What time do I have to be back at airport for transportation and will they take my luggage from there? I still have to haul it to the hotel and back.

Is the airport hotel real expen$$$ive?

The Hyatt MCO is about $200 for the night + taxes. I can typically get a 2.5* room on Priceline for $50 or less which includes breakfast and shuttle to/from MCO.

You can return to the airport at any time, and yes, they will take your luggage from the welcome center. The Welcome Center opens about 8:15 (technically 8:30, but like all things Disney, it actually happens a bit earlier), and the fist bus departs between 9:20 and 9:30. But, a bus will depart every 20 minutes or so until after noon...so you don't have to be there at the crack of dawn.

Another option for you to consider might be a hotel that has a package including transportation to/from the port. My favorite of these is the Hyatt Place NW (different from Hyatt MCO). For $121 once and $169 the second time we got the hotel room, breakfast, and ROUND TRIP transportation for 2 to the port. Um....DCL transfers for 2 are $140 and that doesn't give you a hotel! Other hotels with similar packages are the Wyndham and the Hampton. Wyndham costs more and the service isn't as good. No personal experience with the Hampton.

Another option is to fly in two days before and experience one of Orlando's theme parks! We're flying in Thursday evening (after school) and going to the Portofino Bay Hotel for two nights. Spending Friday at theme park and then it's off to our cruise on Saturday!

Less stress than flying in the day of, plus fun, fun, fun!

The Hyatt MCO is about $200 for the night + taxes. I can typically get a 2.5* room on Priceline for $50 or less which includes breakfast and shuttle to/from MCO.

You can return to the airport at any time' date=' and yes, they will take your luggage from the welcome center. The Welcome Center opens about 8:15 (technically 8:30, but like all things Disney, it actually happens a bit earlier), and the fist bus departs between 9:20 and 9:30. But, a bus will depart every 20 minutes or so until after noon...so you don't have to be there at the crack of dawn.

Another option for you to consider might be a hotel that has a package including transportation to/from the port. My favorite of these is the Hyatt Place NW (different from Hyatt MCO). For $121 once and $169 the second time we got the hotel room, breakfast, and ROUND TRIP transportation for 2 to the port. Um....DCL transfers for 2 are $140 and that doesn't give you a hotel! Other hotels with similar packages are the Wyndham and the Hampton. Wyndham costs more and the service isn't as good. No personal experience with the Hampton.[/quote']

I would be leery of a 2.5* room on Priceline, and there is definitely no comparison to the 4* Hyatt.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

It's really beyond sad that people think there is nothing to do in the Orlando area except theme parks and shopping. :rolleyes:

Another option is to stay overnight at Cape Canaveral or Port Canaveral and enjoy the beach before you arrive. It's FLorida. There is a TON to do ANYWHERE.

But I personally LOVE LOVE LOVE the parks! All of them basically. Between Universal, SeaW and BuschG, and WDW, plus more minor parks (haven't made it to the water parks yet besides WnW) there is PLENTY to see and do.

We love Medieval Times too! Not to mention our favorite authentic mid eastern restaurant in kissimmee.

I LOVE Orlando...

• 3 months later...
I would be leery of a 2.5* room on Priceline, and there is definitely no comparison to the 4* Hyatt.

I never said or implied that a 2.5* on Priceline was equal to a 4* Hyatt. However, I've never gotten a 2.5* on Priceline that wasn't clean and decent. Now at the 2* level....just don't go there

2.5* will include breakfast and transportation to/from MCO if you choose the airport area. Most will include an outdoor pool and a fitness center as well as complimentary wifi. And I typically pay 1/3 to 1/4 as much as the best deal I've gotten at the Hyatt. When I fly in the late afternoon/evening before, I'm looking for a clean, safe place to stay--I don't need a fancy atrium. It's not a whole lot different than choosing between an oceanview cabin vs. a concierge suite--no, there is no way they compare, but what do you need/want for one night and at what price.

My point is that it doesn't have to cost a lot of money to fly in the afternoon/evening before the cruise, and that little increased cost is well worth the peace of mind that I get from knowing that I'll be ON that ship (not sitting at home airport and hoping!)

I never said or implied that a 2.5* on Priceline was equal to a 4* Hyatt. However' date=' I've never gotten a 2.5* on Priceline that wasn't clean and decent. Now at the 2* level....just don't go there

2.5* will include breakfast and transportation to/from MCO if you choose the airport area. Most will include an outdoor pool and a fitness center as well as complimentary wifi. And I typically pay 1/3 to 1/4 as much as the best deal I've gotten at the Hyatt. When I fly in the late afternoon/evening before, I'm looking for a clean, safe place to stay--I don't need a fancy atrium. It's not a whole lot different than choosing between an oceanview cabin vs. a concierge suite--no, there is no way they compare, but what do you need/want for one night and at what price.

My point is that it doesn't have to cost a lot of money to fly in the afternoon/evening before the cruise, and that little increased cost is well worth the peace of mind that I get from knowing that I'll be ON that ship (not sitting at home airport and hoping!)[/quote']

I agree that getting there a day early is a wise move, but I wouldn't choose a 2.5* hotel on Priceline. Decent doesn't work for me, I want at least good when it comes to a hotel. The extra $10 for a 3* or better yet $20 for a 3.5 or 4* makes a big difference IMHO.

After my last fiasco, I have come to the conclusion that if you're traveling during a busy time, like school breaks, traveling the day before won't save you if the weather is to blame for your flight being cancelled! Be prepared to get there in a way other than flying or by train!

I am two-for-two the last two years! (not in a good way)

Last year, we were flying to Chicago on a Thursday, for a Saturday wedding. Flight was cancelled and the soonest we could get out by plane would have been Sunday (after the wedding obviously). We ended up having to drive there.

This year, we were flying to Orlando on Thursday for a Saturday cruise. Flight got cancelled (an hour before takeoff), the soonest they could get us on another flight was Monday! All the planes and trains were completely booked! We ended up driving down.

Moral of the story: I have really bad luck when it comes to flights.

Because of this, I will never book a flight the day before a big event because when (not if) it doesn't work out, I need to leave enough time to get there by automobile!

I have never flown in day of. I can't stand the stress of worrying about a delay. Last summer we did the Fantasy for a week in July. Went in three days early to spend some days at Vero Beach. Perfect day, not a cloud in sky in Chicago. Flight delayed 5 hours because of weather some where else and plane couldn't get in. Several people on our flight were trying to make a ship somewhere. As the time got longer and longer from the originally scheduled arrival, the anxiety amongst this group was visible and the plans they were talking about for trying to catch up with the ship were convoluted and expensive. We are going to venice this summer to get on the magic for the Greek isles tour. Going the day before but even that worries me. If the plane has issues, we have seven people to get to Europe from Chicago.

I fly in the day of the cruise-so long as I can get a direct flight. There are some airlines I trust more than others and I tend to stick to those...

I agree with this post. I would fly in the same day- but I wouldn't fly spirit! They change itineraries by hours and don't let you out of your ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Our flight on Delta (multiple flights a day) in April from Miami to Atlanta was delayed 4.5 hours due first to weather and them mechanical issues and they couldn't get us on another flight that day.

If we hadn't been coming home, it would have been extra nerve wracking. What if that had been an early flight going to Florida? 😳

My first cruise with my wife and daugher was delayed due to flight delays... I am SOOOO glad we booked the flight through Disney and it worked out.

We were so late our room was ready ;)

FL looked like it was underwater from the air .... very soggy start to our vacation.

Now when I go our first "Cruise" picture is us by the hotel pool with adult refreshments...

I ALWAYS go the day before and leave the day after...