Has Anyone Successfully Sued NCL?

cxxviii

OK, I'll admit the title is a bit of an attention-grabber... I'm really hoping I don't have to sue them :)

This is a cancellation/refund issue. The short version is that we booked a cruise in September 2013, cruise date March 30 2014. We knew there might be a family conflict, so we asked very specifically for the cancellation policy. Told it was 90 days. Called back on Sept 4, made a small change to reservation, asked again and told it was a 90 day cancellation policy. Because I'm paranoid, I called again in October and asked for the specific date of the deadline. Told by phone it was Dec 30, ninety days out. Unfortunately our conflict came true and we called to cancel on Dec 16, 104 days out. The rep on that call processed the refund and said it would take 5 to 10 business days. On Dec 30, there was no refund so I called and was told AGAIN it would hit my credit card in the next few days.

FINALLY, on Jan 6 I called again - this time the rep said, "Oh, I see you were in a Haven Suite, those have a 120 day cancellation policy. So we are keeping your $2,000 deposit. Sorry."

Should I have looked for this info at the bottom of the paper reservation receipt when I booked, which they are now of course quick to point out? Probably. But really, FIVE different NCL reps all told me the same information, and I asked each one of them to be "absolutely sure." No amount of speaking to supervisors has helped; I've been given a Guest Relations case number and a promise of a return call - it's now days later and no call.

Damn shame, we really enjoyed our first NCL cruise. Now instead of telling others about our great cruise experience, I tell them about being misled and swindled by NCL. Lesson learned, never believe what a phone rep tells you, NCL will not stand behind it, even with proof of the error.

Has anyone been through this? Should I keep trying to reach Guest Relations or am I wasting my time?

OK, I'll admit the title is a bit of an attention-grabber... I'm really hoping I don't have to sue them :)

This is a cancellation/refund issue. The short version is that we booked a cruise in September 2013, cruise date March 30 2014. We knew there might be a family conflict, so we asked very specifically for the cancellation policy. Told it was 90 days. Called back on Sept 4, made a small change to reservation, asked again and told it was a 90 day cancellation policy. Because I'm paranoid, I called again in October and asked for the specific date of the deadline. Told by phone it was Dec 30, ninety days out. Unfortunately our conflict came true and we called to cancel on Dec 16, 104 days out. The rep on that call processed the refund and said it would take 5 to 10 business days. On Dec 30, there was no refund so I called and was told AGAIN it would hit my credit card in the next few days.

FINALLY, on Jan 6 I called again - this time the rep said, "Oh, I see you were in a Haven Suite, those have a 120 day cancellation policy. So we are keeping your $2,000 deposit. Sorry."

Should I have looked for this info at the bottom of the paper reservation receipt when I booked, which they are now of course quick to point out? Probably. But really, FIVE different NCL reps all told me the same information, and I asked each one of them to be "absolutely sure." No amount of speaking to supervisors has helped; I've been given a Guest Relations case number and a promise of a return call - it's now days later and no call.

Damn shame, we really enjoyed our first NCL cruise. Now instead of telling others about our great cruise experience, I tell them about being misled and swindled by NCL. Lesson learned, never believe what a phone rep tells you, NCL will not stand behind it, even with proof of the error.

Has anyone been through this? Should I keep trying to reach Guest Relations or am I wasting my time?

When you called to ask the policy, did you ask in general or did you ask them to pull up your reservation and asked the policy on that specific reservation?

Should I have looked for this info at the bottom of the paper reservation receipt when I booked, which they are now of course quick to point out? Probably.

With that statement right there, I don't think you have a leg to stand on. IF it was in writing and you agreed to the conditions of said reservation. You're sunk.

I would be livid! I doubt, however, that you'd have any luck with a lawsuit. What you say you were told wouldn't really matter. What is written would be what mattered. If I were you, I'd keep trying to discuss with guest relations, and get the situation escalated. Good luck! I like Mikeyb78's suggestion.

Well that just sks .. The fact that 5 reps said the same thing is not good .

But to play devils addvocate , with a booking that dicey you know you should have looked a bit closer , right ?. :D

I truly hope it works out for you..

And I agree with the above poster .. Call NCL and let them know your intent to notify your states AG . Im guessing you are not quite finished negotiating ..

Good luck ;)

I have always booked Haven suites since the first time the concept was introduced. Each and every document I have clearly indicates the cancel by date. My TA has also highlighted the dates on his invoices. I would never book any trip/product or service without knowing the specific details. Sorry, but IMO NCL is correct in enforcing their policies. You might be able to discuss the possibility of moving the booking to another date, otherwise you'll be out the fee. Did you have insurance?

Darcy

I would suggest filing a claim with the attorney general in your state. Make sure you write down and document every time you called NCL.

Not your home state - FLorida Attorney General would be the one to contact. They are very good and take things like this very seriously.

I would suggest filing a claim with the attorney general in your state. Make sure you write down and document every time you called NCL.

Unless she can prove she gave them the reservation number for NCL to pull up, she is aol...Suites are different from basic cabins and some allow no cancellations. Where are you getting the idea she has any case, have you read the restrictions?

OP, I think the best thing you can do is keep tying to reason with NCL, but even then, I am not sure you have a leg to stand on...This is truly to bad, what a bummer.

Yes, as someone said; lesson learned, read everything and if you didn't go through a TA you might want to think about using one next time. They are normally very good about informing people when payments are due.

Edited by newmexicoNita

Sorry don't know much about suing. But did you not get an email or any paperwork confirming your booking.

In my email it states "Attached you will find a detailed confirmation, listing all cruise fares, payment requirements and cancellation policy. Please review for accuracy".

Sorry don't know much about suing. But did you not get an email or any paperwork confirming your booking.

As OP wrote in first post:

"Should I have looked for this info at the bottom of the paper reservation receipt when I booked, which they are now of course quick to point out? Probably."

Hate that this happened...this is always my fear when booking a cruise. A couple of things- I am assuming no trip insurance? Also, since the cruise was cancelled on December 16th I am not sure if Norwegian has any reservation name change option open to offer you. Cant hurt to ask...

On aside- I do know that Norwegian actively watches these boards in the background so IF you are planning to sue, may want to watch what you say:eek:

Good luck!!

Did you simply ask them each time what the cancellation policy was or did you actually give them your reservation number and then ask them?

Harriet

Why? It is written right on the reservation conformation that was e-mailed to them after they made the reservation.....and again, depending on what kind of change they made, it was e-mailed to them again.

And, knowing there might be a problem......was there no trip insurance taken??

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

This is unfortunate, but unless the OP was given incorrect information regarding their specific reservation (and can provide proof), I don't think the cost and hassle of a lawsuit will be worth it. Like others said, maybe try to negotiate some kind of future credit so you get something out of this.

I would never trust a verbal quote. You need to get everything in writing. Yes, it seems like suites have different cancellation policies. Just a quick Google search and I found NCL's cancellation policy:

(Categories: S1, S2, S3, S4, S5, S6, S7, S9, SA and SB)

Greater than 120 days prior to sailing $0

119 - 90 days 25%

89 - 56 days 50%

55 days or less 100%

Edited by COMBOY

A couple of quick clarifications - each and every time I called NCL, the call started with my reservation number and in each case the rep was staring at my reservation. I realize people make mistakes, but 5 different people?? And this is not a small one - "oh sorry, yes you do get 2 bottles of water in your room." They should know their own cancellation policy.

Without getting into a legal debate, the law is not so cut and dried to say that if it's in writing, no matter what you are told, tough for you. I can't speak for Florida law and case precedent but was hoping someone here would say 'In the past NCL has fixed something like this when a glaring error was made by their staff,' so I don't have to find out about Florida law.

I guess we'll see. I'll give guest relations until next week, which seems more than fair, before taking any additional steps.

I'll keep you posted on the outcome, either way. We really do hope we get to sail NCL again someday!

Also - what credit card did you use? You might want to dispute it with your credit card company over the unclear cancellation policy. If it were me, though, I'd go right the Fl Attorney General. You can file the complaint right online.

Unclear? Clear as a bell. OP even admitted it was on their documents and it took me all of three minutes right now to find it in black and white on the NCL.com web site.

Another case of a consumer just not doing their due diligence. Don't get me wrong. The OP certainly has my sympathy but insurance and a little research goes a long way.