Has Anyone Successfully Sued NCL?

cxxviii

Wasn't making the "final" payment a clue?
No one said anything about making final payment. Unlike lower stateroom categories, for Haven suites free cancellation ends at 120 days but final payment isn't due until 90 days out. A lot of people probably assume that these two dates always coincide, which may have contributed to the confusion in the OP's case.

I was given wrong info twice today by two different NCL reps. The first batch of wrong, I blew off. The second batch of wrong had me livid and shaking for a better half of the day. Still kicking myself for not getting her name.

As far as this thread and the OP's claim. His first sentence said he booked a cruise AND asked the cancellation policy knowing there could be an issue. Then called to make changes and asked again. Both of these calls would have required the booking being looked at by the rep.

sorry to bring this thread forward again. Still reeling from the wrong info I was given today.. :mad:

Someone should start a thread entitled " The Top 20 Questions that A NCL customer rep should know the Answers to?" It goes without saying :p but the answers will need to be provided as well.:D

No one said anything about making final payment. Unlike lower stateroom categories, for Haven suites free cancellation ends at 120 days but final payment isn't due until 90 days out. A lot of people probably assume that these two dates always coincide, which may have contributed to the confusion in the OP's case.

Really.... If so, then maybe he has a point.

Really.... If so, then maybe he has a point.

On the NCL board the members generally tell people that it doesn't matter that the NCL reps give out the wrong information over and over again because if they look at their contract it is written there.

Why is the cancellation policy different for the Haven anyway?

Edited by Karysa

Why is the cancellation policy different for the Haven anyway?
It is pretty common for more expensive cabins and cruises to have more restrictive cancellation and payment policies, because it's harder for the cruise line to find someone else to sell them to if the original passenger cancels near the sail date.

That said, if they do manage to resell the cruise at a good price (i.e. without having to offer a deep discount), they can afford to be lenient about the cancellation penalty for the original passenger. Because at that point they're taking someone's money for nothing just because they can.

On the NCL board the members generally tell people that it doesn't matter that the NCL reps give out the wrong information over and over again because if they look at their contract it is written there.
Not that it doesn't matter, but that it happens, and if you have thousands of dollars on the line, why not cover all bases and try to protect yourself as much as possible? I think what many people in this thread have reacted to is the lack of personal accountability shown by the OP, starting from his opening message, and up to the moment he chose to abandon the thread.

It is pretty common for more expensive cabins and cruises to have more restrictive cancellation and payment policies, because it's harder for the cruise line to find someone else to sell them to if the original passenger cancels near the sail date.

That said, if they do manage to resell the cruise at a good price (i.e. without having to offer a deep discount), they can afford to be lenient about the cancellation penalty for the original passenger. Because at that point they're taking someone's money for nothing just because they can.

Not that it doesn't matter, but that it happens, and if you have thousands of dollars on the line, why not cover all bases and try to protect yourself as much as possible? I think what many people in this thread have reacted to is the lack of personal accountability shown by the OP, starting from his opening message, and up to the moment he chose to abandon the thread.

I have often booked early for better prices than I have seen even at the last minute. If this cruiser got a great deal then there is the real possibility that NCL could have sold thus cabin without losing and possibly gaining. He cancelled within 90 days not 9.

Yes the OP made a mistake. He should have known his free cancellation final date AND he shouldn't have relied on the cruiseline to verify it for him because that cruiseline was NCL. I think that those are the real take aways from this thread.;)

Edited by Karysa

Update from the OP. I had promised to post a resolution; wish I had one. On Jan 6 a case # was opened with Guest Relations. The rep promised some kind of response within a week. No response after 10 days, so I called back on Jan 17. This rep was extremely apologetic that nothing had been done with the file, absolutely promised a call back the next day, which I thought was strange since the next day was a Saturday. No call on Saturday. Waited again until this morning (Jan 21), this time the rep said they work these based on calendar days since receipt and mine would be done by Jan 31. New news to me, but OK.

Stay tuned.

Also, just a quick reply to all of the holier-than-thou finger waggers. If there is a post where I said "none of this is my fault," please point it out to me. In fact I thought I was clear in my original post that I made a mistake by relying on multiple phone calls rather than the written receipt. I apologize for not writing this in more blunt English, maybe "THE OP HEREBY ACKNOWLEDGES THAT HE IS A COMPLETE IDIOT." Hope that helps.

I would suggest filing a claim with the attorney general in your state. Make sure you write down and document every time you called NCL.

I tried this already on a different concern I had. Arizona (where I live) would not handle it at all... (YMMV) ....and Florida (where NCL is located) said they were not interested in bringing action/suit - told me to "feel free" to hire an attorney on my own dime.

The FTC is a possibility if you can prove you were truly duped, but "verbals" are hard to prove...

this is the reality.

Update from the OP. I had promised to post a resolution; wish I had one. On Jan 6 a case # was opened with Guest Relations. The rep promised some kind of response within a week. No response after 10 days, so I called back on Jan 17. This rep was extremely apologetic that nothing had been done with the file, absolutely promised a call back the next day, which I thought was strange since the next day was a Saturday. No call on Saturday. Waited again until this morning (Jan 21), this time the rep said they work these based on calendar days since receipt and mine would be done by Jan 31. New news to me, but OK.

Stay tuned.

This seems to be my experience as well...following is my issue and to date no response to my questions from NCL either...business 101- handle the problem while still small...

This is a portion of the last e-mail I sent regarding my issue, very surprized on how they have handled this. Had the quest services representative at least appear to be concerned and nipped it in the bud right away I would have been much happier with the company. NCL cannot be held responsible for how other guests behave, but they are responsible for how they respond...

I ws promised I would be contacted by NCL on Wed 1/15/14...still waiting :)

"

I spoke with a representative at Guest services the afternoon of December 21 and he was very dismissive and said I would need to speak with the manager of the Splash Academy and no one was available but they would contact me. Both my husband and I had the i-concierge phone application and neither of us were ever contacted.

On December 21st between 7:20 and 7:30 pm I went to the Splash Academy and again a manager was not available; I spoke with one of the Youth Counselors working there and expressed my concerns over what had happened and asked for follow up; I also was clear that I wanted to be immediately contacted should anything happen on the night of December 21st. I was never contacted by a children’s activity manager and the night of December 21st the same boy started poking my son and my son asked that they contact us to come pick him up- we were never contacted to come get our son.

I have contacted NCL directly on several occasions with my specific questions which have yet to be addressed. NCL was contacted: 12/24/13- Ashley; 1/8/14-Marabeth; 1/20/14- Shawanda. All of the representatives were very cordial, However I have yet to have a direct response to my direct questions.

1.) What is the Policy for issuing pagers to parents. I was told when we signed our son up on 12/15/13 that I would be given a pager upon dropping him off and I also have a 2 page policy sheet that was given to me from NCL that states that I will be given a pager upon request. I requested a pager on 12/16/13 the 1st time we dropped our son off and was told no- only if he needed an Epi pen and I brought it to them would I be issued a pager. During later conversations I was told that there were too many children on this cruise to issue them- there was a wall behind the check-in desk full of them. So- is the answer Yes you get them or No you do not.

2.) I was disturbed that there was an issue when my son was there on 12/20/13 and were neither contacted when it happened nor informed at pick-up- I would have liked to have been informed that my child was kicked and slapped in the face. My question- what is the threshold that NCL uses to determine if contacting a parent is warranted? What do they let it escalate to?

3.) How are parents contacted if there is an issue or emergency? Why when a child asks that their parents be contacted does this not happen?

I am not going to re-address the other issues on this cruise as I am sure they will not be answered since the voyage report is an internal document, but there were many things that were just not right. My primary concern is my son and his safety."

Stay tuned.

Not surprised it may take some time. Their computer system should have a record of anytime a booking number was accessed. I suspect they are checking their system to see the number and dates of calls made and checking the booking notes to see the subject of the call. I know other cruise lines have systems that keep that data and would be surprised if NCL does not. if that data supports your case then you will probably get a positive response. If it doesn't then ...

Also, just a quick reply to all of the holier-than-thou finger waggers. If there is a post where I said "none of this is my fault," please point it out to me. In fact I thought I was clear in my original post that I made a mistake by relying on multiple phone calls rather than the written receipt. I apologize for not writing this in more blunt English, maybe "THE OP HEREBY ACKNOWLEDGES THAT HE IS A COMPLETE IDIOT." Hope that helps.

So based on your acknowledgement, why would even think about, much less start a thread, on suing NCL? Seems like you just keep shooting yourself in the foot.

OP here. I am pleased to report that NCL has offered a resolution to this issue that is good for all parties. (I'm assuming it's good for them since they offered it...). Even happier to say that we look forward to a future cruise on NCL. It would have been easy to say, "screw this guy he made a mistake, we have the legal right to keep his money." Nice to see customer service at work.

And yes, as a final few comments:

1. I do hereby promise to read all NCL fine print in the future.

2. If you see NCL change the "final payment" policy for Haven suites to be 120 days to match the cancellation policy, you'll know why... :)

3. Never been so happy to know that my phone calls were all recorded!

4. May or may not be relevant, but I did note that our cabin for that specific cruise is sold. Can't know for sure the price but it seems they are now running at the same or higher price.

That's all. Happy cruising.

OP here. I am pleased to report that NCL has offered a resolution to this issue that is good for all parties. (I'm assuming it's good for them since they offered it...). Even happier to say that we look forward to a future cruise on NCL. It would have been easy to say, "screw this guy he made a mistake, we have the legal right to keep his money." Nice to see customer service at work.

2. If you see NCL change the "final payment" policy for Haven suites to be 120 days to match the cancellation policy, you'll know why... :)

4. May or may not be relevant, but I did note that our cabin for that specific cruise is sold. Can't know for sure the price but it seems they are now running at the same or higher price.

Glad to hear it!

• 1 month later...

Not meaning to resurrect an old thread needlessly, but it might be related.

I am booked in an SG. Booking happens to be over US Thanksgiving. Original cancellation policy on booking confirmation is 75 days.

Bought a shore excursion today, and received an updated confirmation. My cancellation policy has magically changed to 120 days.

Spent an hour on the phone, and the best resolution I could get was a note in the comments indicating that the 90 day cancellation policy was in effect. When I questioned the 90 rather than 75 days, I was told that it is a holiday sailing so that is the policy, and that it wasn't reflected on the confirmation because their system wasn't capable of recognizing it. They would not give me anything in writing.

All I can say is wow. I have sent an email to the social media group asking them to honour, in writing, the original contract. And I've asked them to fix what ever is broken in their system that causes them to provide incorrect or inconsistent cancellation information to their guests.

Not meaning to resurrect an old thread needlessly, but it might be related.

I am booked in an SG. Booking happens to be over US Thanksgiving. Original cancellation policy on booking confirmation is 75 days.

Bought a shore excursion today, and received an updated confirmation. My cancellation policy has magically changed to 120 days.

Spent an hour on the phone, and the best resolution I could get was a note in the comments indicating that the 90 day cancellation policy was in effect. When I questioned the 90 rather than 75 days, I was told that it is a holiday sailing so that is the policy, and that it wasn't reflected on the confirmation because their system wasn't capable of recognizing it. They would not give me anything in writing.

All I can say is wow. I have sent an email to the social media group asking them to honour, in writing, the original contract. And I've asked them to fix what ever is broken in their system that causes them to provide incorrect or inconsistent cancellation information to their guests.

I just checked mine as well - 120 days.

1) This is not an issue for an AG. If you want to sue go hire your own lawyer. Your fellow citizens should not have to pay for your law suit.

2) Unless you have absolute proof of someone at NCL stating specifically that the cancellation period for YOUR SPECIFIC CRUISE was 90 days you have no casue of action. Even with it, written agreed to contracts supercede anything verbal.

3) To answer the question stated in the title of your OP, I would imagine that any company the size of NCL who has been in business as long as they have has probably at the very least 'settled' a claim or two along the way.

1) This is not an issue for an AG. If you want to sue go hire your own lawyer. Your fellow citizens should not have to pay for your law suit.

2) Unless you have absolute proof of someone at NCL stating specifically that the cancellation period for YOUR SPECIFIC CRUISE was 90 days you have no casue of action. Even with it, written agreed to contracts supercede anything verbal.

3) To answer the question stated in the title of your OP, I would imagine that any company the size of NCL who has been in business as long as they have has probably at the very least 'settled' a claim or two along the way.

actually probably NCL prefers if you go through the Florida AG. the Florida AG handles tons of consumer complaints against NCL and almost all the cruise lines. Normally what they do is ask the consumer to explain their position and then forward that to NCL for their comment and explanation. When the answer is received they send it on to the consumer and most of the time that ends what they do. Sometimes its not. The Florida AG has gone after the cruise lies when they feel the cruise lines position isn't warranted or violated some Florida rule or a previous agreement with the cruise lines. When the cruise lines a couple of years ago tried to impose retroactive fuel surcharges the Florida AG went after the cruise lines and had the stop. When the cruise lines tried something else that violated a previous consent decree, the Florida AG went after them too....

NCL would prefer that than a small claims lawsuit in Michigan I promise you...

Just reviewed my invoice for the NCL STAR sailing 10/20:

Bottom of invoice - not in fine print - copy:

Cancellation Fees

NORWEGIAN CRUISE LINE

Days Prior to Departure..................Cancellation Fee

76 Days or More............................$0 pp

Between 56 and 75 Days................$400 pp

Between 30 and 55 Days.................50%

Between 15 and 29 Days.................75%

14 Days or Less..............................100%

I am in a suite will see how this develops my TA is Delta Sky miles.

Delta Sky miles TA note:

In addition to these fees you authorize us to charge our $100 cancellation fee

at the time of cancellation.

Our (previously collected) $24.99 processing fee is non-refundable.

In further review it would appear to be better dealing with a TA or PCC rather

than directly with NCL. Someone with a more sympathetic ear !

A few years ago we booked and picked a specific starboard cabin a year in advance. When we arrived at port we realized we were in a different cabin. It was an upgraded cabin, but on the aft of the vessel. We booked a BD balcony on the side of the ship. Yet we received an aft suite. :eek: Unacceptable. We were not happy. We needed a cabin on the starboard side. There were no cabins at that late point available on the right side. We were not happy.

We survived in our aft suite, but .... it wasn't starboard.

The sailing and all went well. In fact, one of the best sailings ever. But we sued regardless. We eventually got our starboard side BD cabin on a future sailing after $8400 of lawyer expenses. :D

But we taught NCL. lol.

We are happy and pleased now with our BD, 4 night Jewel sailing in 2016. :p

:) , :p , ..... :D

Edited by bear3412

A few years ago we booked and picked a specific starboard cabin a year in advance. When we arrived at port we realized we were in a different cabin. It was an upgraded cabin, but on the aft of the vessel. We booked a BD balcony on the side of the ship. Yet we received an aft suite. :eek: Unacceptable. We were not happy. We needed a cabin on the starboard side. There were no cabins at that late point available on the right side. We were not happy.

We survived in our aft suite, but .... it wasn't starboard.

The sailing and all went well. In fact, one of the best sailings ever. But we sued regardless. We eventually got our starboard side BD cabin on a future sailing after $8400 of lawyer expenses. :D

But we taught NCL. lol.

We are happy and pleased now with our BD, 4 night Jewel sailing in 2016. :p

:) , :p , ..... :D

good for you op. i am sure the lawyers are LOL too!!