Mazatlan?????

tjcletsgo

Has anyone heard when Princess might bring Mazatlan back as a port and get rid of Ensenada? Holland America and NCL are porting at Mazatlan now with no problems. We would really like to cruise Mexico this year but won't if they still port at Ensenada instead of Mazatlan.:o

Has anyone heard when Princess might bring Mazatlan back as a port and get rid of Ensenada? Holland America and NCL are porting at Mazatlan now with no problems. We would really like to cruise Mexico this year but won't if they still port at Ensenada instead of Mazatlan.:o

Ensenada is safer.

We were there on Diamond Princess several years ago, but Princess stopped a year or two ago after there were several robberies and assaults on passengers who wandered off the main tourist areas, and the local police wasn't doing much to stop it.. Don't know if there are still problems, but i'm sure Princess will go back there when they feel comfortable with the safety issues. I'm sure the local economy felt the effects of the cruise ships rerouting away from Mazatlan.

Mazatlan is in Sinaloa. I checked the US State Dept travel advisory list and I am in no hurry to go to Mazatlan anytime soon. It is a very dangerous city in the most dangerous state. I imagine Princess is no hurry to go back there due to the severe risk.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_6033.html

I really wish they would. Ensenada is a hole. Lots of crime in the Caribbean too but cruise ship still go there.

I really wish they would. Ensenada is a hole. Lots of crime in the Caribbean too but cruise ship still go there.

Anyone who bad mouths Ensenada hasn't gotten off the ship to see the city. It is much cleaner, more to do, better shopping and better eating places than Mazatlan. Our first couple of times there we didn't get off the ship because of this false information we were getting about Ensenada, now it is one of our favorite stops.

In 2011 we were booked on the Disney Wonder and they ended up eliminating Mazatlan and instead we had 2 days in Cabo. Now, Cabo is great but only sailing to 2 ports on a 7 day cruise is too many sea days for me. Since then Mazatlan has hired hundreds of volunteers to watch over tourists and the crime rate there is back to 2004 statistics. I so miss Mazatlan......and I've been to Ensenada wayyy too many times:(

In 2011 we were booked on the Disney Wonder and they ended up eliminating Mazatlan and instead we had 2 days in Cabo. Now, Cabo is great but only sailing to 2 ports on a 7 day cruise is too many sea days for me. Since then Mazatlan has hired hundreds of volunteers to watch over tourists and the crime rate there is back to 2004 statistics. I so miss Mazatlan......and I've been to Ensenada wayyy too many times:(

Volunteers against the Cartels!! Right. :eek:

Ensenada, while you may not think it great port, is easy to satisfy the PVSA. Mazatlan is significantly father away from the U.S., so they likely would not use it as "the" foreign port for CA Coastals or Hawaii cruises. I guess they could switch Mazatlan and Ensenada for Mexican cruises, but I doubt they figure it is worth it to add an additional port at this time given they already have the procedures in place for Ensenada.

edit: Actually, looking at the itineraries, I don't see any of the straight-up Mexican cruises (as opposed to the CA/Pacific Coastals) stopping in Ensenada.

Edited by Cauzneffct

Anyone who bad mouths Ensenada hasn't gotten off the ship to see the city. It is much cleaner, more to do, better shopping and better eating places than Mazatlan. Our first couple of times there we didn't get off the ship because of this false information we were getting about Ensenada, now it is one of our favorite stops.

I did get off the ship. I will be going there in February so I'd love to hear where you went so I can enjoy it too. I went to the downtown area and found it pretty scary. Please give me some ideas. Thx for your help.

Actually, looking at the itineraries, I don't see any of the straight-up Mexican cruises (as opposed to the CA/Pacific Coastals) stopping in Ensenada.

We just got off the Sapphire Princess to PV, Cabo and Ensenada. I'd much rather have an extra day in PV or Cabo, go to Mazatlan or La Paz, than have another day in Ensenada - we get stuck there all the time on other cruises. And no, we didn't book this cruise for the ports, we booked it because our Alaska granddaughter suggested a warm cruise to celebrate graduating from college, and that was the only week we could get all our family of 11 together.

All 7 day Princess cruises to Mexico port at Ensenada. All thru 2014. I've been to Ensenada 7 times, been to the blow-hole, Houssongs, Papas and Beer, shopped, lunched and I'm done with Ensenada. I was there in October 2013 on a 4 day. The shopping used to be soooo much better but after the Swine Flu debacle in 2009 when all the ships boycotted Mexico, many of the stores closed up and haven't come back.:(

I didn't find it scary just boring. Bring back Mazatlan, sheesh the cruise lines stop in Jamaica for goodness sakes!:eek:

Weird. I wonder why its listed on the individual itinerary pages but not on the general itinerary page. Or, alternatively, I'm a moron.

I had to look twice at my itinerary to make sure because it doesn't seem to be on the other ones. I'd be ok not seeing it unless I hear some info otherwise.

I did get off the ship. I will be going there in February so I'd love to hear where you went so I can enjoy it too. I went to the downtown area and found it pretty scary. Please give me some ideas. Thx for your help.

We did an excusrion to La Bufadora (blow hole) one of 3 in the world I think. I have done the wine tour and went for a drink, or two, possible three, at Mamas and Papas. No, I don't get scared easily being Jamaican and all:D

I hope Mazatlan is back for those who want to see it and others can stay on board, no loss! I like getting off at ports because I tend to see things differently with age and experience. After seeing the blow hole in Hawaii, I want to see the one in Ensenada again. After Napa wine tour then see the Mexican one again.

Edited by Blk_Amish

We did an excusrion to La Bufadora (blow hole) one of 3 in the world I think. I have done the wine tour and went for a drink, or two, possible three, at Mamas and Papas. No, I don't get scared easily being Jamaican and all:D

I hope Mazatlan is back for those who want to see it and others can stay on board, no loss! I like getting off at ports because I tend to see things differently with age and experience. After seeing the blow hole in Hawaii, I want to see the one in Ensenada again. After Napa wine tour then see the Mexican one again.

Thx for the info. I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

Thx for the info. I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

I have done this port many times but not recently, kinda Mexico out:D

When you get off the ship there are buses offering rides into town and this the tour to La Bufadora. There is also shopping in this area. If something is labeled one of a kind or only a few, it's a must see for me.

My take on Jamaica and Mexico, they are crazy not stupid. American toursits provide money for them to wage war aganist each other. Why hurt the goose that laid the golden egg, then everyone gets what the duck got:eek: Knowing there are some stupid tourists (met a few) who don't know how to mind their own business, I can understand the caution on part of the cruise lines.

Edited by Blk_Amish

I have done this port many times but not recently, kinda Mexico out:D

When you get off the ship there are buses offering rides into town and this the tour to La Bufadora. There is also shopping in this area. If something is labeled one of a kind or only a few, it's a must see for me.

My take on Jamaica and Mexico, they are crazy not stupid. American toursits provide money for them to wage war aganist each other. Why hurt the goose that laid the golden egg, then everyone gets what the duck got:eek: Knowing there are some stupid tourists (met a few) who don't know how to mind their own business, I can understand the caution on part of the cruise lines.

Thank you!

Hi! We were on the Princess Sapphire in 2010 with Mazatlan as a port and again on Sapphire November 2013 (couple of months ago) with Ensenada as the port. Growing up in San Diego, I was not thrilled with the Ensenada stop. But boy has it changed. We got off the ship, asked a vendor where certain restaurant was and he walked with us about 10 blocks to the restaurant. Of course we tipped him. Did not like that eatery, so went to Pappas and Beer and had a blast people watching. The stopped at a local taco stand and had the best taco's ever. We felt very safe and would have not problem stopping there again. Mazatlan on the other hand was not so nice in 2010. Hope this helps and have fun!

we spend 6 weeks in mexico every year different town, if you walk and frequent the main streets and not go where there few people you are safe I visit my son in Vancouver BC and he will not leave me on the bus stop alone at night in the dark

muggings etc happen anywhere use common sense don,t flaunt your valuables just like you would anywhere

I feel safer in Mexico

I want to clear up some misconceptions about Mazatlan.

First of all --- NO cruise passengers have been harmed in Mazatlan. If you can prove me wrong, take your best shot !!!

Second -- Mazatlan has spent millions of dollars beefing up security and installing surveillence cameras all over the city in order to show the cruise lines that they value the cruise business. That is why some of the cruise lines have resumed calling at that port.

Mazatlan has a lot to offer and I have no fear of going into the city or to Stone Island.

Those who choose to be afraid because of the past news media efforts to stop the tourism are missing a lot !.

I want to clear up some misconceptions about Mazatlan.

First of all --- NO cruise passengers have been harmed in Mazatlan. If you can prove me wrong, take your best shot !!!

Second -- Mazatlan has spent millions of dollars beefing up security and installing surveillence cameras all over the city in order to show the cruise lines that they value the cruise business. That is why some of the cruise lines have resumed calling at that port.

Mazatlan has a lot to offer and I have no fear of going into the city or to Stone Island.

Those who choose to be afraid because of the past news media efforts to stop the tourism are missing a lot !.

I agree, we have taken a half dozen land trips to Mazatlan over the last 25 years and I've cruised there once. I love the city, great shopping and great restaurants (Panchos). The city has worked very hard to re-gain our confidence-the city really suffered when the ships stoped calling. Ensenada has improved drastically as a port but still falls far, far short of Mazatlan. I really want to go back and hope Princess makes the change.:D

I agree, we have taken a half dozen land trips to Mazatlan over the last 25 years and I've cruised there once. I love the city, great shopping and great restaurants (Panchos). The city has worked very hard to re-gain our confidence-the city really suffered when the ships stoped calling. Ensenada has improved drastically as a port but still falls far, far short of Mazatlan. I really want to go back and hope Princess makes the change.:D

I hope they do too...by feb 22nd.