What if second person in cabin cancels?

wxguyinms

I'm booked with a friend for a Carnival cruise later this year. We both purchased insurance and each paid half the total cost of the cruise.

What happens if one of us can't go and the other decides to go alone? Will the person who canceled get their money back? Will the other then have to pay the "second half" of the cabin cost? Would insurance reimburse the person still cruising for that extra expense?

Is there anyone who has faced this situation and can tell me how it was handled?

Thanks for any first-hand knowledge you can share.

I'm booked with a friend for a Carnival cruise later this year. We both purchased insurance and each paid half the total cost of the cruise.

What happens if one of us can't go and the other decides to go alone? Will the person who canceled get their money back? Will the other then have to pay the "second half" of the cabin cost? Would insurance reimburse the person still cruising for that extra expense?

Is there anyone who has faced this situation and can tell me how it was handled?

Thanks for any first-hand knowledge you can share.

The answer really depends on what type of insurance you purchased and what type of fare you booked. If you didn't book early saver, you will have more options. If you can share this information, others may be better able to help you.

Also, are you more concerned about getting a refund or trying to keep the booking and going solo?

Edited by winddawn

There is no clear cut answer based on the information you provided. It depends on many things such as the reason for the cancellation and if that reason is covered by the insurance policy, the date the person cancels, etc. You need to read the terms and conditions of YOUR policy to find out the answer.

If your cruise is 85 days away then the other party can cancel without even having to go through the insurance unless you booked super saver fare. You are outside the final payment period so there is no penalty to cancel now.

If I am not mistaken if it is after final payment then no refund and if the O P does not go have them be a no show. As mentioned check your insurance, if it is a just changed the mind type of reason for not going then that is a different story.

I am sure you will get the correct info.

I hope I was able to add some insight.

There is no clear cut answer based on the information you provided. It depends on many things such as the reason for the cancellation and if that reason is covered by the insurance policy, the date the person cancels, etc. You need to read the terms and conditions of YOUR policy to find out the answer.

It doesn't matter what the reason is to cancel as they are not even after final payment, so not in a penalty period. Something has given the OP a reason to ask her question. As for cancelling within the penalty period, it needs to be a good reason. If it's cancelled well into the penalty period, yes you need to be prepared to pay another fare. If your insurance is good, you likely will get reimbursed what you had to pay extra because of the loss of your cruise partner. You'll have to somehow prove the loss.

What if the other person has paid their fare in-full? Would that mean the solo cruiser, who's also already paid their fare in-full also, would have to pay for the empty bed? Especially, if no insurance has been purchased and will be sailing in just a couple of weeks? Just curious....

Edited by Pathfinder1964
clarify question

What if the other person has paid their fare in-full? Would that mean the solo cruiser, who's also already paid their fare in-full also, would have to pay for the empty bed? Especially, if no insurance has been purchased and will be sailing in just a couple of weeks? Just curious....

If there was no insurance by either party, and a cruise was in 2 weeks, there would be no refund anyway. If the cancelling person was being thoughtless and actually cancelled, yes, party #2 will need to fork over for the empty bed. If the person leaves his/her paid fare in place, then #2 is okay.

If there was no insurance by either party, and a cruise was in 2 weeks, there would be no refund anyway. If the cancelling person was being thoughtless and actually cancelled, yes, party #2 will need to fork over for the empty bed. If the person leaves his/her paid fare in place, then #2 is okay.

Let me make sure I've got this straight.......both parties have paid for their cruises in full, if one of them cancels (like due to an emergency or something serious like that), then the remaining person in the stateroom has to pay for the empty bed even though it's already been paid for once by the other cruiser? So it means.... if no insurance, then you are charged for the empty bed even though it was paid for in full and no one is asking for their money back. Carnival has already made their money off the no-show second cruiser so why would they penalize the first cruiser and charge them for the empty bed? They have already gotten their money....

:confused: Nevermind, I think cruiser #1 would only have to pay if cruiser#2 asked for a refund which is what you said in the first place RuthlessBoss..... :D

Edited by Pathfinder1964

Cruiser #2 will not have to pay if cruiser #1 doesn't actually go, becomes a no show. #2 will pay extra if #1 actually cancels. The only refund he/she will get back is taxes/port fees, the cruise fare will be lost to Carnival.

Edited by RuthlessBoss