Passport Processing Time?

bala1130

I think I've finally talked some friends to join my DW on the April 20 Indy cruise. They don't have US passports. Does anyone know a ballpark for how long it normally takes to get them processed? I'm assuming 3 months is more than enough time.

"United States citizens on cruises that begin and end at the same port in the United States can use a original government-issued picture ID (i.e. driver's license) AND an original government-issued birth certificate or original Naturalization Certificate."

They are taking 6-8 weeks now.

4-6 weeks for routine service (not expedited) is the standard answer given on the website and has been for several years.

However, many people reporting that it takes much less than that. It took less than 2 weeks for mine to arrive. I did not expedite either.

I sent ours in exactly 4 weeks to the day of January 16 - the day we would leave for our cruise. I paid overnight mail but did not pay for expedite service. We got ours in the mail Saturday, January 4 (went out in the mail Dec 19). I was impressed. especially since it was over Christmas.

Since it has already been mentioned regarding turn around times, let me add, although a closed loop cruise example FL back to FL doesn't require Passports it is still best one has them in the event due to any emergency requireing a flight home from a foreign port, you will need a passport. A Passport needs to be valid within 6 months of cruising.

You don't need a passport for that particular cruise anyway. A drivers license and a certified original copy of a birth certificate is all you need. But a passport is always good to have in case of an emergency and you have to fly back.

In the past I've read, they don't want to cruising on a passort that expires within XX months... any idea how long? Trying to figure out when I need to renew mine - it expires in September.

It depends on the country; Panama requires 3 months, Spain (US Citizens) 6 months, Turkey requires 6 months just to visit. But it really only matters what country is your point of ORIGIN where you go through customs. Most countries only require your passport to be valid for the length of your stay. People say 6 months because there are enough countries to make it a concern.

It really doesn't matter if you get stranded in a foreign country PORT because you are already there, and if you are hospitalized they won't kick you out. Most times you are only flying out of the country and only need an ID to get on the plane. It's not like customs officials are roaming the streets looking for passports. Most people, even if they bring them for a Caribbean cruise, leave them on the ship anyway. I can't remember any PORT that requires you to show your passport at the gate when you leave the dock!

Enjoy your cruise.

I just got a new one for our upcoming cruise done (too many years since the first one), and it took a little over a month. I actually had to wait longer for the appointment at the post office, they were booking well out!

In addition to the Post Office, some town and county offices do passport processing as well.

While I'm sure they have plenty of time to process them the normal way, if they live near you, for a fee ($60 each), they can apply in person in Detroit and receive passports in approximately 5 days. Detroit does not require proof of imminent travel.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/npic/agencies/agencies_4451.html

In the past I've read, they don't want to cruising on a passort that expires within XX months... any idea how long? Trying to figure out when I need to renew mine - it expires in September.

As long as it doesn't expire before you get home your good.

I just did my renewal about 2 months ago, and I got it back 9 days after I mailed it. Mailed it on Saturday, had it two Mondays later.

As to sailing with just a BC and DL...that's fine if nothing happens. But if you miss a boat, get sick, or any other thing happens that requires to return to the US by transportation other than the cruise ship, then you'll be glad that you had the passport.

It depends on the country; Panama requires 3 months, Spain (US Citizens) 6 months, Turkey requires 6 months just to visit. But it really only matters what country is your point of ORIGIN where you go through customs. Most countries only require your passport to be valid for the length of your stay. People say 6 months because there are enough countries to make it a concern.

It really doesn't matter if you get stranded in a foreign country PORT because you are already there, and if you are hospitalized they won't kick you out. Most times you are only flying out of the country and only need an ID to get on the plane. It's not like customs officials are roaming the streets looking for passports. Most people, even if they bring them for a Caribbean cruise, leave them on the ship anyway. I can't remember any PORT that requires you to show your passport at the gate when you leave the dock!

Enjoy your cruise.

I Don't think their are any in the Caribbean. However traveling internationally Singapore for one checks your passport every time you exit the ship.