New to disney/magic..help!

cod

I am asking for DD and her family who have never cruised on Disney. (And neither have I, so I am no help).

Here goes...

1) The particular cruise is the 12 night transatlantic in May. She has booked a balcony GTY...is there any cabin/area that she should hope they are not assigned to?

2) I thought I saw one person mention a self-laundry. Is this right?

3) Are dinners a fancy affair? or just the usual no shorts, sandals, t-shirts etc rule. Any formal nights?

4) They have one 14 year old son. (They chose this cruise because they've always wanted to a TA and the Magic's sail date was good for his end of school date). Do they have good programs for his age group?

I can't think of anything else specific to ask about but please, if you have any suggestions about something on board that they should be sure to do or see, your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

1. Can't say on this. She can't change anyway so shouldn't waste energy worrying.

2.There are laundry rooms on deck 2 and, I think 6 & 7. They are self-serve. You use your cabin key card (KTTW) to pay.

3.DCL has relaxed their dinner dress code in the main dining rooms (MDR). You will see everything except hopefully swim suits. Our 14 day Panama Canal cruise had 2 formal nights and one semi-formal and pirate's night. Some people dress in gowns and tuxes, others in cocktail dresses and suits, others in jeans and tshirts.

4.No experience with the teens club but it is spoken well of and very active.

Laundry; $2 wash, $2 dry, $1 soap, the last I knew.

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr87/bgchase1/May%2030%20Disney%20Cruise/IMG_2356.jpg

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr87/bgchase1/May%2030%20Disney%20Cruise/IMG_2355.jpg

Locations;

Deck 2 - across from 2096

Deck 6 - across from 6588

Deck 7 - across from 7590

Laundry Service, for the lazy. ;)

http://i44.tinypic.com/2lbj0hx.jpg

Balcony cabins; IIRC the last 4 aft on deck 5 have smaller triangular verandas.

Other than that I think your set.

HTH

Edited by bear3412

The Trans-Atlantics are the best. I've done at least 3 of them on DCL.

As noted--she can be assigned to any cabin with a balcony. Why worry over something she agreed to and can't change. The VGT gives a great rate in exchange for the restrictions.

Self serve laundry on 2, 6, and 7. You can also send out laundry to be done for you if you wish.

On our 14 night crossings we had 3 formal/semiformal nights. All others are "cruise casual." People do tend to dress up more on the longer cruises. Most people do not do really formal--a suit or sports jacket for guys, cocktail type dresses for women is the norm. Some people choose to not dress up. On shorter cruises MANY people don't dress.

There are programs for all ages. At 14, he will be able to choose between the tween program in the Edge (11-14s) or the teen program in the Vibe (14-17). It is up to the parent and child to determine where he'll fit best based on maturity and interest. BE SURE he goes to the info session on the first night, usually at 10 or 10:30. At this time, they select activities for the first week of the cruise and it is a major meet and greet time.

To all, thanks for your replies!

I have one more question and I hope, being an after-thought, that someone returns and sees it.

Some one wrote you can bring your own liquor? Yes? Is there a charge to do this. And how about wine?...is there the corkage fee that any line I've been on charges? They don't drink the hard stuff but they are frequent wine store customers so I'm sure they'd love to bring a couple of bottles of their favorites.

Once more..thank you!

You can bring on board any beverage you choose (water, soda, wine, hard stuff, beer, whatever). It must be in your CARRY ON bags when you board and depart the ship and is officially for consumption in your stateroom. Coolers are not allowed. No charge to bring it on.

You may choose to bring a bottle of wine to the dining room but will be charged a $20 corkage fee. You can bring a glass of any beverage anywhere and there is no charge. Your stateroom host or any bartender can supply glasses for you.

To all, thanks for your replies!

I have one more question and I hope, being an after-thought, that someone returns and sees it.

Some one wrote you can bring your own liquor? Yes? Is there a charge to do this. And how about wine?...is there the corkage fee that any line I've been on charges? They don't drink the hard stuff but they are frequent wine store customers so I'm sure they'd love to bring a couple of bottles of their favorites.

Once more..thank you!

I like to bring a bottle of liquor that I can mix with something that's free on the ship. For example there's a soda station and sodas are free so if you like rum and Coke you could bring rum. I like to bring Kahlúa and order milk from room service and make kahlua an milk.