X vs Disney

jimmyma2

Hi everyone!

we're booked to go on the Asia cruise in China , Japan South Korea next April on the Millennium. We have cruised many with Disney and have heard some things about Celebrity that have caused us concerns.

We have paid way over the odds for the cruise compared to the currents offers. We have complained to Celebrity about the lack of offers for UK guests compered those on offer to US guests all yo no avail.

What can we expect from Celebrity compared to Disney cruise line?

We're just thinking at the moment about booking the drinks package, it's going to cost us about £900 ($ 1350) do you think it will be worth it? why are the benefits of this?

thanks for any advice

Edited by jimmyma2

I sailed Disney in 2006 (kids were 6 and 9) and would honestly not do it again. We got a good deal but their prices have skyrocketed and I think they are outrageous. There was nothing "wrong" with the cruise, but it left me feeling "been there, done that." Happy we went, but don't need to do it again. Mind you, we like Disney, but aren't as huge fans as some are.

We sailed X for the first time over Christmas 2012 (kids were 13 and 17). All of us agreed this was a cruise we would do again and again. The level of service was superior and the whole feel of the ship was more subdued. We have 2 more cruises booked on X in 2014.

Our tastes are more fine hotel (who doesn't love a Ritz, but we're happy at a W) than Disney Value Resorts. Too much Disney makes me woozy.

Who will like what is such a personal decision it's hard to base it on what others think. I've hated things others on these boards have loved and loved things they've hated. Guess that's what makes the world go 'round!

But honestly, if you have the right attitude, I can't see you having a bad time on either cruise. Try to appreciate the differences as opposed to compare. It makes for a much more enjoyable trip, IMHO.

Edited by travelingirl70

Disney is fine but no Celebrity. The standard of service is not there they try but miss on all level with the exception of the shows. On Celebrity your room attendant knows your habits by the end of day one and everything is done your dining room waiter and busser know you drinks and have them ready after the first night. None of this happened on Disney. We will most likely never do a Disney cruise again. I believe that you will enjoy your celebrity experience.

I personally think that the service has been better on Disney than on Celebrity. The biggest difference is in the area for children. We have 3 young daughters and I love that the different aged kids clubs on Disney up to teens are connected so they can find each other if they want. The entertainment is also on a different level. Lastly, the attention the servers give to children on Disney is over the top. They help the children with their order and even cut up the food for them if needed.

I think they are similar except I feel that Disney is definitely geared towards families with younger children.

OP also asked about the drinks package: we love it. Actually, we now choose Celebrity over other lines because of this. We probably come out at least even because it includes cocktails and wines but also soft drinks, bottled and sparkling water, smoothies, specialty coffees, and fresh squeezed juices. It's great to not have to worry about having slips to sign. But we also love the elegance of just ordering what you want without regard to cost , and the chance to try new wines and cocktails that we probably wouldn't if we were paying by the drink. We ask the sommelier to recommend wine with each course and have a small glass of each. A much lower bill at the end of the cruise is nice if you pay in advance, too. Unless you are a very light drinker, I say go for it, I think you'll love it.

Edited by cynbar

I thought food and service on Disney was the best of all my cruises. Of course there are a lot of kids on Disney, but they also do a good job at keeping some areas adult only.

As far as the drink package that depends on how much you drink. There are drink prices and information posted on these boards so that you can figure whether one of the drink packages is right for you.

I have been on X as well as DCL and would do both again, in fact I'm going on X in two weeks. DCL has phenomenal service, the food is good, the ships are clean and Castaway Cay is hands down the best private island. Our servers were the best and knew all of our preferences.

I don't think you have anything to worry about on X. I went on the Century after it's refurb and it was beautiful and the service and food was excellent. I am going to be on the Constellation with the Premium drink package and I love the idea of not having to sign for drinks.

We think the drink package is great. Love not having to keep track of spending. Also you can be a little more experimental with trying different cocktails. Also like the fact that the Premium package includes all bottled water, juices and specialty coffees.

I can't help you with Disney. I prefer a cruise line who's main focus is not children. Their ships look beautiful but they're not for me. :)

We sailed on the Wonder and Magic when our children were really young and enjoyed Disney's product a lot. Two years ago we tried the Dream and although we had a great time at the end of the cruise I didn't want to book another Disney cruise. A little ungrateful from my part, since I won the jackpot bingo the last night. :rolleyes: We moved to Celebrity from RCCL, looking for a better smoking policy, and really love their product. We like their entertainment, the food quality, excellent service and overall experience.

Hi everyone!

we're booked to go on the Asia cruise in China , Japan South Korea next April on the Millennium. We have cruised many with Disney and have heard some things about Celebrity that have caused us concerns.

We have paid way over the odds for the cruise compared to the currents offers. We have complained to Celebrity about the lack of offers for UK guests compered those on offer to US guests all yo no avail.

What can we expect from Celebrity compared to Disney cruise line?

We're just thinking at the moment about booking the drinks package, it's going to cost us about £900 ($ 1350) do you think it will be worth it? why are the benefits of this?

thanks for any advice

Fewer children. More laid back.

Do you still have small children?? X might not be the best cruise line for your family. I don't think it will compare to Disney for a young family vacation.

20 cruises on Celebrity and 1 on Disney. Gotta say Disney was a great cruise. The food on Disney reminded us of the early days on Celebrity. It is better than what Celebrity offers now. Yes there were alot of kids, but for that cruise we were with family and it was great. Disney treats you like adults without the nickle and diming you to death. They allow you to bring on your own booze. Would sail again with them in a heartbeat!

I can still hear "It's a small world after all" playing on the Disney ship as we sailed away on the Mariner several years back....it played over and over until we were out of distance.....THAT would make me crazy......but perhaps that was just a one time thing!!!:eek::eek:

Disney is kid centric. If I had kids I would seriously consider them for a cruise, maybe combined with Disney World. But Disney also charges a premium price. Without kids in tow, I think a Disney cruise would not interest us and the money Disney charges for that kid centric experience would either be better saved sailing another less expensive line or perhaps spent on a better match for our tastes. RCCL could be a good match. Celebrity is an even better match.

Oh sorry guys, our kids are all grown up! Should have said really! We just go on our own and enjoy the adult only spaces onboard! The only reason I'm asking is we've had five outstanding cruises with Disney and one awful cruise with Royal Caribbean who I know own x

20 cruises on Celebrity and 1 on Disney. Gotta say Disney was a great cruise. The food on Disney reminded us of the early days on Celebrity. It is better than what Celebrity offers now. Yes there were alot of kids, but for that cruise we were with family and it was great. Disney treats you like adults without the nickle and diming you to death. They allow you to bring on your own booze. Would sail again with them in a heartbeat!

WOW!!! I didn't realize Disney was so great....have you sailed when the little ones are in school? Is it just as full with kids at this time?

Oh sorry guys, our kids are all grown up! Should have said really! We just go on our own and enjoy the adult only spaces onboard! The only reason I'm asking is we've had five outstanding cruises with Disney and one awful cruise with Royal Caribbean who I know own x

I know where you are coming from... We've only done one cruise and it was on Disney Dream... Truly outstanding and we really spent most of our time in the adult only areas which weren't crowded. Dining was great too. I really don't like feeling crowded so that was a plus on Disney precisely because there were lots of kids and not may adults in the adults only area.... Never had to look for a chair ect. We were almost scared to try something else because of being spoiled. :-) decided to try AQ on celebrity Reflection... Hopefully it will go well... Leaving January 25th :-)

Sorry, I want you, too. Was your cruise (time) when the kids were in school? And is yes, was it still pack with children? Thanks!

I have sailed Disney multiple times and will sail Celebrity for the first time soon!

We are a couple with no children and of all the cruises I have taken I have always felt that Disney does adults better than any other cruise we have been on.

That said, we are very hopeful that this Celebrity cruise will be as good as Disney because the cost of a 7 night Disney Cruise has gotten too high and Celebriy appears to give more for my dollar, especially when they are running the free drink package promotion.

I will let you know what we think when we return!!

I have sailed Disney multiple times and will sail Celebrity for the first time soon!

We are a couple with no children and of all the cruises I have taken I have always felt that Disney does adults better than any other cruise we have been on.

That said, we are very hopeful that this Celebrity cruise will be as good as Disney because the cost of a 7 night Disney Cruise has gotten too high and Celebriy appears to give more for my dollar, especially when they are running the free drink package promotion.

I will let you know what we think when we return!!

Were there a lot of children during school time on Disney?

An older couple in Blu one evening mentioned the food and just about everything was better than X...we thought they were out of their ever loving minds at the time. However, reading here it seems they may be right.

Were there a lot of children during school time on Disney?

An older couple in Blu one evening mentioned the food and just about everything was better than X...we thought they were out of their ever loving minds at the time. However, reading here it seems they may be right.

Since we don't have children we never vacation when most kids are out of school. The closest we have ever come is our anniversary falls during a week that the state of NJ has either a full week or a partial week off and we sailed on a sold out cruise that week (first week of Nov usually) and there were a lot of kids on that one cruise. But, it did not affect our week at all. There is an adults only pool, there is an adults only beach on the private island and our table at dinner was all adult couples sailing with no children.

Of course his was only one state with kids off. I would never choose to cruise or vacation during traditional weeks that schools are closed. One big reason is because prices are always higher.

We have always had FANTASTIC food on DCL. We will see how Celebrity can compare! We are Aqua class, so we will be dining in Blu, which will be completely different from our Disney cruises. We have only sailed inside on every Disney cruise we have taken.

Also I should mention we have always had tables in the dining room with only other couples. Disney tries to place certain demographics together and also tries to keep them close to other tables of similar demographics. They have three assigned dining rooms so that is easier for them than having one big dining room to place people.

Since we don't have children we never vacation when most kids are out of school. The closest we have ever come is our anniversary falls during a week that the state of NJ has either a full week or a partial week off and we sailed on a sold out cruise that week (first week of Nov usually) and there were a lot of kids on that one cruise. But, it did not affect our week at all. There is an adults only pool, there is an adults only beach on the private island and our table at dinner was all adult couples sailing with no children.

Of course his was only one state with kids off. I would never choose to cruise or vacation during traditional weeks that schools are closed. One big reason is because prices are always higher.

We have always had FANTASTIC food on DCL. We will see how Celebrity can compare! We are Aqua class, so we will be dining in Blu, which will be completely different from our Disney cruises. We have only sailed inside on every Disney cruise we have taken.

I'm very interested to see how you compare the two! Thanks!

Have a great time on Celebrity! If you are on the Reflection...Nicolina will be your excellent wine steward in Blu...she is EXCELLENT! Enjoy!