It's a shame how cruising has gone downhill

When we started cruising RCI it was a much classier experience. It was upscale, people dressed up, the food was high quality, and the service was impeccable.

It used to be looked upon as an expensive, luxury vacation.

Now, most of the people I know look at it like a bargain vacation along the lines of a Holiday Inn on the beach.

All of the cheap deals and bad press the cruise lines set themselves up for has really tarnished that prestigious image cruising used to have. I still think cruises are fun, but its a shame that it is nothing like it used to be anymore. Gone are the days of lavish meals and talkative crew. We have arrived in the days of cafeteria quality food and rushed and stressed out crew.

I wish I could go back to the 1990's cruises again :p.

People dressed up at the MDR or they were dressed up in general? Would suck to wear a tuxedo outside in 99 degree weather

Maybe I am taking the original post the wrong way, but I feel like she thinks she is 'slumming it" because cruising now appeals to the masses. My husband and I have been on 10 cruises - all Royal Caribbean. We love to cruise and, to be honest, think the cost of cruising is very reasonable. We just got off the Brilliance and found the staff, for the most part, to be very friendly and talkative. One bartender let me sample some wines to see which one I liked (and unfortunately I found one that I love LOL). The commercial lines that operate several ships need to cater to the masses, because that is how they fill up the ships. Perhaps the poster should look into cruising on the smaller, more intimate ships that have 1 staff person to each passenger.

Edited by Pattis_61

Maybe I am taking the original post the wrong way, but I feel like she thinks she is 'slumming it" because cruising now appeals to the masses. My husband and I have been on 10 cruises - all Royal Caribbean. We love to cruise and, to be honest, think the cost of cruising is very reasonable. We just got off the Brilliance and found the staff, for the most part, to be very friendly and talkative. One bartender let me sample some wines to see which one I liked (and unfortunately I found one that I love LOL). The commercial lines that operate several ships need to cater to the masses, because that is how they fill up the ships. Perhaps the poster should look into cruising on the smaller, more intimate ships that have 1 staff person to each passenger.

You bring up an interesting POV, which I share. Today, more people have the ability to cruise, and it is not just for the 'elite' who can afford it. My inlaws cruised back in the 80's maybe even the late 70's and they saved for that 'expensive' cruise and it made them feel 'upper class'.

I applaud the cruise lines for realizing that there was a large population that would enjoy cruising and the cruise lines made it both affordable and 'enticing' to that 'population' to do. That is what business is supposed to do -- see a market for their product and serve it....in the end, the cruise line makes profits, and it was very good for the consumers.

At least it was good for the consumers, in my opinion.

I always wonder, when people complain about entertainment, if they used to cruise when the highlight of the day was the wooden horse race, and the main lounge was so small and poorly designed that the dancer's costumes would rub against the low claustrophobic ceilings, and their feathers would constantly slap audience members in the first row every time they turned. :rolleyes:

Some people need a reality check. They don't know how good they have it these days.

I for one, miss the wooden horse races:o

I for one, miss the wooden horse races:o

You bring back a great memory.....they did the wooden horse races on our Navigator cruise in 2004....but not on any of the other cruises we have taken. It was great fun.

I wonder if it is still done on Navigator?

As many topics do this thread has taken on a life of it's own with the Op having apparently moved on some time ago. :)

We are new to cruising and when we stepped on our first cruise ship April 24, 2013 we had no expectations, -0-. :eek:

We had no idea if we were going to like it or not, but figured since it was 18 nights we would either really, really like it or really not. We did come prepared with bonine and ginger pills though. :)

Since then I have booked five more cruises so I guess i really, really liked it. :D

Even as a beginner I have heard of Cunard and Crystal, Regent and Silver Sea, and I'm sure there are more. So there are certainly choices for everyone.

Happy cruising!!! :)