Anytime dining tipping

wwwcruisers

If you go to the MDR a couple of nights for anytime dining, how do they get the tip you put on your sail and sign card to the different waiters that you have on different nights? I may want to tip more for real good service but I want it to go to the right person.

If you leave the "auto tip" on your account, your Anytime waiter's will get their share. IMHO, they all give very good service.

If a waiter give's you "exceptional" service, you can tip them extra after your meal or at the end of the cruise.

All waitstaff pool gratuities for the auto tip. Tip extra in cash if you want it to go directly to your team.

That's kind of a good thing/bad thing system. If you pull tips because you don't believe in tipping :eek: then at least your poor waitstaff and room stewards aren't screwed. But I've read about a few workers who weren't good, so tips were pulled. If they still get a cut, there really is no incentive to improve. :confused:

That's kind of a good thing/bad thing system. If you pull tips because you don't believe in tipping :eek: then at least your poor waitstaff and room stewards aren't screwed. But I've read about a few workers who weren't good, so tips were pulled. If they still get a cut, there really is no incentive to improve. :confused:

Exactly. That is why if you have a horrible experience, you really need to say something to the Matre 'd or hotel manager. Otherwise you are punishing all.

This is why we tip extra when warranted. Most people do not understand how auto tips are distributed.

Edited by Rena921

They take your cabin number each night you are seated for Anytime Dining. We have always thought that this was so that they knew who served you and could distribute the tips accordingly! We also have tipped extra in cash to teams that have given us spectacular service!

Definitely tell the head waiter if you have a bad experience!

If you go to the MDR a couple of nights for anytime dining, how do they get the tip you put on your sail and sign card to the different waiters that you have on different nights? I may want to tip more for real good service but I want it to go to the right person.

When you enter the dining room, the hostess will ask for your cabin# and to see your S&S card. They keep track of what section you sit in hence making sure the gratuities are distributed to the correct waitstaff.

Just a hint, if you find that you like a particular waitstaff, you can request their section each evening. You may have to wait a few minutes for a table to open up in their section, but IMHO it can be worth it if.

If a person pulls the autotips due to poor service they should be asked which crew member was at fault.

They take your cabin number in YTD to ensure that you are in the correct dining room and so the servers will have your name.

I thought autotip for anytime went to the people who serve you each night.

Is this not correct?

This exactly what I was told. That is why they have your room number for each table so they know where the tips went. That is why the waiter gets a slip of paper with your room number on it. I was told this a few years ago by a waiter when I inquired. Maybe this has changed. If they went to a system of all sharing tips, what is the point of a wait staff hustling to take care of you. Wait staffs are definetly not created equal.

What happens to the tips for the nights that the passenger doesn't go to the dining room. There's won't be any wait staff's name attached to those tips, and Carnival wouldn't necessarily know where they ate, would those tips be pooled?

I wonder the same thing about the auto tips, how do we know that the staff is actually getting the full amount or if the correct staff is getting it. We only eat in the MDR once per cruise, YTD, so they must do something with our auto tips when there is no wait staff to assign them to?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

Edited by disney521

What happens to the tips for the nights that the passenger doesn't go to the dining room. There's won't be any wait staff's name attached to those tips, and Carnival wouldn't necessarily know where they ate, would those tips be pooled?
That is a very good question. A couple me and my wife were cruising with 2 years ago asked that exact question at the pursers desk and was told Carnival keeps what is not used for Anytime dining. You are getting this second hand from me, but he claims that is exactly what he was told. This caused him to remove a couple of days tips from the main dining staff only on days he did not go there, as he was not happy to hear the rest of the money was not pooled. He was told this only applies to anytime dining. It would be good if this could be verified by someone going on a cruise very soon. Edited by berniez

That's why we haven't added the auto tip to our upcoming cruise. Our steward wasn't horrible, he just never did anything we asked. Nothing huge, just things like removing all of the items from the fridge, please get us ice, can we please have 2 more towels, etc... We've done the auto tip in the past and bring envelopes along so we can give an additional tip when deserved.

As far as the YTD team, we've been fortunate in that we've found a great team on the first night on the 3 cruises that we've opted for this and always request them for subsequent evenings. On the final night we make sure to tip each team member individually.

I consider our selves old school, as we have always used the envelopes for tipping cash, I was going to leave the auto tips on this cruise, but think we will continue our tradition, I wan to know that the money goes to and stays with the staff that it is meant for. Being that I work in a tavern and depend on tips, I fully understand how important this money is to these wonderful human beings, and want to make sure they know they are greatly appreciated!

I wan to know that the money goes to and stays with the staff that it is meant for. Being that I work in a tavern and depend on tips, I fully understand how important this money is to these wonderful human beings, and want to make sure they know they are greatly appreciated!

I think the issue is if you pull your auto tips then your staff is obliged to turn in their cash tips to the pool. If you leave the auto tips then the cash you add to it stays with the specific staff you give it too. If you pull the auto tips they would know they were appreciated but would not get to 'keep' what you gave them. They would get their pro-rated share out of the pool.

Carnival Cruise Lines

The Process: Carnival automatically adds a $11.50 per-person, per-day gratuity to onboard accounts. The amount does not apply to passengers under the age of two.

Alternatives: Passengers who want to adjust the amount of their gratuity in either direction or to tip independently can do so at the guest services desk. There are two exceptions. According to the line's Web site FAQs, for "cruises to nowhere" -- short cruises that do not visit a port -- gratuities must be prepaid. In addition, all gratuities are automatically added during the booking process for cruises leaving from Barbados.

Extra Charges: An automatic 15 percent gratuity is added to all bar bills.

Here is how the break out worked for the 10.00 auto tip;

Dining Room Services $5.50

Stateroom Services $3.50

Alternate Services: distributed to kitchen and other hotel service staff

$1.00

Total Gratuities $10.00

Here is how I look at it;

If my husband and I were to go out for dinner we would, depending on the restaurant and the evening run up a tab of between $60 and $90 for dinner. Special occasions might go higher but in general this is a fair representation.

An average 20% tip would run between $12 and $18 for the evening.

The WHOLE gratuity is only $11.50, with around $6.50 going to wait staff for all 3 meals. I figure we can leave on the Auto tips and have LOTS of room to add appropriate tips to bring it up to what we feel is deserved and comfortable. And since we leave on the small auto tip our staff gets to keep ALL of the additional tip we give them.

I have been on the other side of this equation and understand just how critical those tips are for their income and just how much impact quality of service will have on the tipping dynamic.

Leaving on the auto tips isn't really giving up much relative control in my book. It's so low as to barely create a threshold.

I leave auto tips on, and tip extra if I feel it is warranted. We had Anytime dining on our recent cruise, and asked for the same wait staff every evening. I tipped extra in cash at the end, and left an envelope for our steward.

I also tip the piano bar player, and various drink waiters. In cash.

All waitstaff pool gratuities for the auto tip. Tip extra in cash if you want it to go directly to your team.

This makles no sense.

They take your card info so your tips go to the right servers. Your servers. If you don't go the other nights , are you saying everyone just dips into the tio pool for service they never pperform?