Golden princess tnago show on ship

oceanfan1212

We sailed on the Star jan. 2012. The ship had a quartet playing in the atrium every night --the Bujo quartet complete with Bandolian- that was great..lots of Piazzola and other tango music. There was also a couple who were professional tango dancers. I thought they were just OK.

We booked the ships Tango Show tour in order to see a typical tango show. It exceeded our expectation. It was long and complete - the same show that they put on in the evening- and, to top it off, the lunch served was very good. My husband said his steak was one of the best he had ever had. Lots of wine and good food and a first rate performance.

The downside is that other than a quick drive around and a short stop in La ricoletta cemetary and the La Boca area we did not see much of Buenos Aires. Can't have everything in a one day stop.

If I had it to do again I would make the same choice..The tour with the Tango show.

We were on the Star a year ago and there was a tango quartet that played regularly in the atrium. There was also a tango dance team that also danced for us in the atrium. They offered danced lessons both for the general audience as well as private lessons (these you pay for, to them). Princess hired them for the whole of the ships' BA - VAL cruises.

If last year was anything to go by, you'll have plenty of opportunities to dance the beautiful dance.

Princess has provided local entertainment during port stops & hopefully will have tango performances in BA. Performances like flamingo dancers in Barcelona, Maori performances in New Zealand, hula in Hawaii & classical music in Venice & St. Petersburg Russia have been enjoyable.

Thanks for the advice. We will be in BA for a couple of days so will see a lot of the city. Tango and lunch sounds really good. Thank-you. We cant wait.

Where do you intend on staying in BA. We spent 10 days in Argentina prior to our ship. We stayed in Palarmo Soho and had a wonderful time and spent most of our evenings dancing at a milonga held in the Armenian Cultural Centre on Armenia Street. Very cheap and packed every night. Lessons for an hour then all night dancing. Too much fun!

Princess has provided local entertainment during port stops & hopefully will have tango performances in BA. Performances like flamingo dancers in Barcelona, Maori performances in New Zealand, hula in Hawaii & classical music in Venice & St. Petersburg Russia have been enjoyable.

I'm guessing a typo for the dancing in Barcelona. I suspect you mean flamenco, rather than flamingo dancing. Made me chuckle to think of Spanish dancing done by those pink birds. :-)

I'm guessing a typo for the dancing in Barcelona. I suspect you mean flamenco, rather than flamingo dancing. Made me chuckle to think of Spanish dancing done by those pink birds. :-)

Yes...that'll teach me to take more time to better proofread voice to text words! :p

Edited by Astro Flyer

Instead of doing one of the typical tourist Tango shows we went to the show in the basement of Cafe Tortoni. It is the oldest cafe in BA. The show was quite good and only about $30. They also offer food down there. Then after we went up to the cafe to enjoy its classic ambiance.

If you want leather go to Maybe on Florida st. See Leila .

We also had the most fantastic steak at El establo (or something close) Google it. It was recommended by locals and we had the most amazing dinner for $20pp. Huge ribeye, fries,veg and wine. Yum!

Does the ship have its own tango show on the South American cruise? We were debating between that, a regular tango show or doing the ships tour with tango show. any advice appreciated.

We just got off the Golden Princess South American cruise. I'm not sure what you mean by "regular" tango show but they do have Tango dancing entertainment in several venues and even Tango dancing lessons. There is a shore excursion that includes a Tango Dancing that is available with Princess for BA so you can check to see if the EMBARK tour is available on the Princess website.

Does the ship have its own tango show on the South American cruise? We were debating between that, a regular tango show or doing the ships tour with tango show. any advice appreciated.

We saw no Tango show on the ship in Argentina. maybe best to do it while inport.

We just got off the Golden Princess South American cruise. I'm not sure what you mean by "regular" tango show but they do have Tango dancing entertainment in several venues and even Tango dancing lessons.

We saw no Tango show on the ship in Argentina. maybe best to do it while inport.

Is it possible that you were unaware of the show or do you know that they didn't have any Tango shows. I certainly don't recall everything offered on each of my cruises. ;) Anything is possible although for many years we've had shows in many ports reflecting local dance & music.

We overnight in BA in March & hopefully we'll have the same recent experience as 'Duane T'. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

What was the weather like? Was it rough around the horn?

We actually only had "rough seas" the 1st day at sea leaving Valparaiso. The weather around Cape Horn for us was relatively calm. But as soon as we sailed past the Horn into the Atlantic, a weather front came up from behind and we had a little snow! We had all 4 seasons on this trip.

But I've seen other reports and youtube videos that have shown rough seas. The ship has a supply of motion sickness patches, ginger tablets, etc that you can buy in the store on Deck 6 Atrium.