Taking little kids on first cruise? RC brilliance of the seas

If your child is 6 months to 36 months and in the Royal Babies n Tots Nursery they will change diapers. Adventure Ocean is a whole different child program and like CalicoCat said is for potty trained kids.

Edited by Jtd724

My wife and I just returned from the Brilliance's Dec 30th sailing and we have two boys ages 6 and 4. We took our then 4 year old on the Oasis of the Seas two years ago, took both boys (then 5 and 2 1/2) on the Disney Fantasy 18 months ago and both again (5 1/2 and 3) on the Norwegian Epic this past March. They loved all three of those trips and we never felt like there was a shortage of things for them to do. This cruise however was just my wife and I and we said over and over again how bored our kids would be on the Brilliance. Perhaps we're just spoiled by how kid friendly the other three ships we sailed were, but we felt in comparison to our previous three cruises that this ship had significantly less that would interest our boys. They don't enjoy being dropped off in the kids area, so they spend most of the time doing stuff with us and on the other ships there were always lots of things we could do together. On the Brilliance, while it was a lovely ship and my wife and I had a great time, the swimming options are very limited, the evening shows would have bored them out of their minds and there were very very few activities we saw in the Cruise Compass that we think they would have enjoyed.

I would second the recommendation of another to see if you have any Grandparents that would be interested in watching them while you and your husband go by yourselves. I think as first time cruisers you would love the Brilliance, but I personally would not recommend it for young kids.

We have been on 15 cruises and have been completely entertained by the little ones on our cruises. It has been the 8-12 yr olds forgotten by their parents that have been annoying.

You will love cruising, Royal has great programs your little ones, and the Brilliance has a great kids pool area for you to spend time with them. Please don't worry about making the trip. Cruising is a great family vacation.

My suggestion would be to get that little one potty trained if at all possible. Went on a cruise with family and three of us had two year olds, but mine was the only one potty trained and able to swim. Guess who was the happiest two year old? Of course, I am not a big believer in the "wait til they tell you they're ready" philosophy. PM me if you want some potty training tips...I was a toddler teacher for 13 years.

My kids were 10 months and not quite three on their first cruise.

We thought it was a great vacation and the easiest and most relaxing way to travel with really little kids (even though our older one is easily overwhelmed in noisy groups and would not attend the children'S programming on most ships until she was old enough to check herself out when it got to be too much).

As a poster up-thread said, it is relaxing and easy to be with your kids all day when someone else is doing the cleaning and cooking, etc.

We loved that it was always quick and easy to find a "free" (ie, included) snack, drink or meal for the kids, unlike on land vacations where you can end up further from venues, or places close mid afternoon or there is a wait to be seated at night, etc.

We loved live music in many places, often "family" areas that the kids enjoyed dancing around to and being silly.

The kids liked family times in the clubs, shuffleboard (this was before mini golf was on ships, I am sure mine would like that too), chasing balls on the sports court at odd hours when it was not otherwise in use, ice cream cones, etc.

On that first cruise both kids were too young to use the pool, but I am not even sure they realized there was something there to be missed. It'S not like we sat by it with them and then did not let them in.

I think a lot depends on the attitude you have going in. If you want to experience all the ship has to offer, well, no, you can't really manage that with little ones in tow. If you want to relax and be catered to while hanging out with your little ones, then you will have a lovely time.

These are just my opinions based on what I've observed with parents and toddlers interacting on ships and on land ....

If it were me, I'd skip dining with 2 toddlers at the specialty restrurants. They're not particularily cheap (we can get a good steak dinner locally at home for what a cruise ship special dining room charges - yes they're yummy good on board BUT how fun will you have trying to eat an expensive meal with 2 toddlers?):o

I'd go for My Time Dining where you'll be served at a time that suits you seated at a table - thus avoiding navigating with 2 kids in a buffet line. I think I saw a kids menu somewhere recently and they have high chairs available. If you're dining with others in your group they do have large tables that can accommodate more than just the 4 of you.

Room service is free except very late at night. Breakfast or lunch may be easier that way than in a dining room?

Your cabin steward can empty the room mini-bar refrig for you giving you room to store items from the Windjammer for later consumption/snacks like cartons of milk, fruit, cereal etc.

Take some of their favorite toys and try to keep close to their regular schedule for things like meals and naps - It helps avoid cranky kids same as it does at home:) If the cabins have DVD players you may want to include some of their favorites for quiet time.

I also saw on a page about kids activities that you can (for a fee of course) have diapers for the little one deliver to your room.

Good Luck !! :):)

My daughter went on her first cruise on RCCL at 3. She had a blast at the kids club! She is now 5 and will be taking her 4th cruise this Spring break. Cruising allows us moms to have a real vacation because there are trained staff available to interact with our kids while we sneak off for a spa treatment or nap. Just remember to pack their special stuffed animal, blanket or pillow. Also bring beach toys for them and most importantly, HAVE FUN!!!?

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

We have been invited to go on a Spring Break cruise , on RCL brilliance of the seas with 2 port stops. We have a 2 and 4 year old, the younger is still in diapers. I know its crazy enough to go on a cruise spring break with little ones, but I am having a hard time finding out what there really is to do with little ones on the ship. We have NEVER cruised and I am freaked out already about the trip, since we really don't know what to expect. The party that is going, is a young couple getting married in Key west on the stop, they have a 13 yr. old, who is not interested in the little boys at all. There will be others in the group but no one with small kids. As of right now I don't feel the cruise would be any fun for the boys, and that we will just be a drag to the rest of the group. :eek:

I am already unclear on the included food and drinks and what it more, I have been working with a travel agent, but it seems that she doesn't understand that I HAVE no IDEA what to expect, please help, I know you all are a well of information.

There is spring break, and there is spring break.

Which week is the wedding? College spring break runs roughly mid-February to mid-March. Regular schools (primary and secondary) tend to have spring breaks late March through Easter.

Different passenger makeup.

Either way, as others have stated, you can definitely make this a wonderful family vacation.

And aside from attending wedding-related events, you should expect to "do your own thing" rather than waiting to find out what the herd is doing. You will be much happier that way, particularly with little ones.

The trip is March 24-29, very quickly approaching. The TA has a room for four, we are going to meet with her tomorrow to talk it all through. You all have been a great help, now it is just down to the big decision. My husband is still unsure about it, and is opting to take a nice road trip down to the Keys with our boys and be there for the wedding. 'cross your fingers for me' ;)

You can enjoy yourself, you seem to be stressing about things. Relax, I haved cruised with my grandkids 18mo and almost 3 - now 8 and 10 every year.

Try not to change your todlers routine too much - if he naps - go to you stateroom and and let him nap - then he will enjoy dinner.

Go to the restraunt - sit and order dinner - take turns then and leave with the kids for a walk - time you come back dinner should be served (you will get a better feel for this as the week wears on) Make a big deal about ordering what they like - so what if they eat the same food for 7 days - will not hurt them!

Take things from the buffet to your room for snacks - cereal, yoghurt, milk boxes fruit - you know what your kids will eat. Or order some room service.

Do some things with others on the cruise - spend some time just as a family. Perhaps you can go with the group for an hour - then take over the kids while you husband joins them for an hour. Or what ever works for you both.

We would be on the pool deck - one person would go to the buffet and get a plate of food - we would share - then someone else would go. We tried not to drag the kids around, if they were happy, let them be, if cranky - find something to calm them down - point things going on to distract them. If that does not work, leave and find something else to do - remember not too much sun!

Find an empty room and let them play - my grandkids thought it was wonderful to be on the stage and thought they were entertainers!

Relax, the kids will be happy with simple things, just make it an adventure they want to go on!

The trip is March 24-29, very quickly approaching. The TA has a room for four, we are going to meet with her tomorrow to talk it all through. You all have been a great help, now it is just down to the big decision. My husband is still unsure about it, and is opting to take a nice road trip down to the Keys with our boys and be there for the wedding. 'cross your fingers for me' ;)

A road trip from Indiana to the Florida Keys? With a two and a four year old in a car?

He thinks that that is more relaxing than a cruise?!?!?!?

We have some serious problems here! ;)

My husband is still unsure about it, and is opting to take a nice road trip down to the Keys with our boys and be there for the wedding. 'cross your fingers for me' ;)

The story of my childhood "nice road trip." Excuse my Canadian, but BALDERDASH.

I'd rather decline the invitation than drive from Indiana to Key West. (Without considering the drive with small children.)

Talk your husband into the cruise! We took our son on his first cruise last March (he was 3) and he had an absolute blast. Now every time he sees a Royal commercial on TV he tells us he wants to go again…haha. Your cruise is relatively short, so it'll be a good starter cruise for your family. Plus, if your location is accurate, that's an awfully LOOOONG drive with 2 little ones to the Keys. I love my son more than life itself, but don't think I'd survive a roundtrip road trip of that length at his current age :) Good luck to you!

yea I know he is crazy, I honestly think he is trying to figure out the way to tell them we are not going either way. seems like a lot of money for such a short cruise, and we really wanted disney to be our first cruise. I know we are crazy, its the snow its driving us crazy:confused:

I sailed with my three kids on Celebrity's Infinity a few years back. My kids were 14months, 2-3yrs (he turned 3 on board) and 5 years. We were on a cruise durring the school year, full transit Panama Canal. As you can imagine there were few kids on board, 12 to be exact (and three of them were mine!) and yet my kids still had a fabulous time. I'd do it again with small kids in a heart beat!

I realize Celebrity's kids program & Royal's are different, but as sister lines they are similar. We didn't have the option of Royal Nursuries, but we did use the in room baby sitters a few times, and that worked well for us. My middle child was potty trained so the pool wasnt an issue & he was able to be in the kids club. They all had a great time! So much attention from the staff, especially with so few of them there. They made friends with young and old across the ship and had a great time doing activities with the kids club & with us.

We had a tremendously good experience travelling with our kids, & I hope you do too!

Cheers,

Laura.

yea I know he is crazy, I honestly think he is trying to figure out the way to tell them we are not going either way. seems like a lot of money for such a short cruise, and we really wanted disney to be our first cruise. I know we are crazy, its the snow its driving us crazy:confused:

Were you planning to drive to Tampa for the cruise? Key West is a lot farther than Tampa, but either way would be a long drive. Key West is kind of a pain to get to even if you fly. And, you will only see your friends while they are in port.

The cruise is not ideal for you, because you didn't choose it. With kids not in school, if you planned a cruise, you would likely not go at spring break. You would choose a less expensive, less crowded time, and an itinerary to suit you. And probably wait until your youngest was potty trained and could enjoy pool time. But this isn't about you, it's about the couple getting married.

Like I said before, you really need to decide how important it is to go to the wedding and spend time with the people who will be there. Even driving to Key West will involve a lot of time and effort and money. If you want to be at the wedding, suck it up, go, and accept that you will have to plan the perfect family cruise later. And then enjoy it for what it is.

After a week of moral debating it and working out all our options I think it sounds like we are not going. You are right, if we drive to keys, we will only see them for a few moments Honestly. And if we take the cruise we will be alone, because we wont be spending tons on babysitters just to party and be miserable the next day. We have been up and down about it for months and really think its to much to ask of us. If we had options like someone to keep the kids for us, or a better venue I think we would have been more stoked. It more of working out how to tell them. :(