Any ideas for Falmouth Jamaica

erfarb

We were just in Falmouth on Jan 15th. Never been before and we were not sure what we would do so just decided to wing it. Let me say the Port at Falmouth is great, there is lots of good shops and some entertainment, food and drink right in the port. If you want to venture outside the gate they offer a 1 hour trolly tour that leaves every 30 minutes. I think it was $22 a person but we really enjoyed it. They take you right down the crowded and busy streets of the town center, then through some residential neighborhoods, you stop at a church and go inside for a tour, then returns down the coastline. If you do not have an excursion planned some time in the port area and the tour outside would be a nice option for a great day at Falmouth.

Beshears, we have paid only half the fare when driver dropped us off at Doctor's Cave. He said we can pay now or when we come back. We chose to give half. Driver's name was Marlene Levy. It is possible he would come back if we paid differently. When we called him for pick up he mentioned that we paid one way and there is a lot of traffic, so he is not coming back. Regardless, for those $10 extra we were just the two of us in the same size van which carried other 13 people along with us from the port of Falmouth. Ride back was much more enjoyable, the driver was great, he was giving us a tour and took us through Falmouth. We chose to leave him $15 tip. (Too bad for Marlene)

If you stay on the ship, you will be missing out on The IRIE BLUE HOLE also known as Secret Falls. We went on this private tour with Liberty Tours Jamaica in August and I highly recommend them! Watch this video and you will want to go even more. It is much more beautiful being there. I have never seen anything so gorgeous in my life. It is very secluded, no ship tours go to this hidden piece of paradise. There are waterfalls, a Tarzan rope swing, turquoise waters, hidden caves, and a plush green shaded areas all around you. Guides will help you explore every inch of this hidden Gem. This was the highlight of our cruise.

Do you recall how much the tour was with them? I found their web site but they don't seem to have the prices posted.

I don't know if I'm late to the game with this reply but I think the pineapple and coffee tour is the tour of the Croydon plantation. It a working plantation that seems to produce pineapple and blue mountain coffee.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were just in Falmouth on Jan 15th. Never been before and we were not sure what we would do so just decided to wing it. Let me say the Port at Falmouth is great, there is lots of good shops and some entertainment, food and drink right in the port. If you want to venture outside the gate they offer a 1 hour trolly tour that leaves every 30 minutes. I think it was $22 a person but we really enjoyed it. They take you right down the crowded and busy streets of the town center, then through some residential neighborhoods, you stop at a church and go inside for a tour, then returns down the coastline. If you do not have an excursion planned some time in the port area and the tour outside would be a nice option for a great day at Falmouth.

Thank you, that is exactly what I've been trying to find out for a while, and if they still had the trolley. Did you get the trolley ticket in side the the port or outside the gates. We look forward to that tour next month.

I was unable to find the coffee/pineapple tour so maybe it was for another area. Here is a tour that I just booked and it sounds like a good one with some good reviews. Jamaica Culinary Tours: A Taste of History. Already spoke to them by phone just checking on the Allure 10:30 timing and said it was not an issue. Do not recall what form I was on that suggested this but thank you.

We took the Jamaica Culinary tour on 1/30/2014 and it was a wonderful 3 hours. We felt like we really got our money's worth and saw parts of Falmouth that most people don't get to see. The food we sampled was interesting, and the guide did an excellent job of informing us as we walked through the streets. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

Hubby and I just got back from our cruise and we really enjoyed Jamaica, it was our favorite port. :D We were going to do "Historic Falmouth and Ocho Rios Highlights - FY99" but we really wanted to do some shopping in Jamaica after the tour and if we did this tour (which was 7 hours) we would have no time for shopping. So instead, we did "Easy Falmouth and Montego Bay - FYA1" which was 3 1/2 hours and we really enjoyed the tour :D our tour guide Kimberly was funny, friendly and very informational, plus we had plenty of time to shop when we were brought back to Falmouth. When I went back to Royal's site to read reviews that were written about this tour they were not that great, I can't share my review on the site yet because we don't have our crown and anchor number....but if you want an easy, laid back, informational tour I would highly recommend this one. It is wheelchair/handicapped friendly too! :D

Misterbill99, yes I would like to read how your tour turned out?

So, we're back and did both the Jamaica Culinary Tour and the Jewish Cemetery Tour I mentioned earlier. We enjoyed both of them. Our guide from the culinary tour met us at the booth (which is just outside the main "terminal" building you walk thru after leaving the ship) and walked us over to the cemetery, which was around a 10 minute walk, where we met Marina. She has been doing a lot of research and explained the Jewish history of the island by talking about the graves of the people buried in the cemetery. The nominal tour fee will be used towards the upkeep and restoration of the cemetery.

We also enjoyed the food tour. The same person who walked us to the cemetery did the tour. They were very nice about getting me a veggie patty instead of the beef patty at one stop, and got another person a vegetable plate instead of the jerk chicken at that stop. We ended up at an old house that both Janet and Marina live in for some coconut treats and the owner told us about the history of it. On the way back to the ship, the guide took us to a supermarket so we could purchase some jerk seasonings at very reasonable prices (I didn't check, but I'm sure it was much cheaper than the stand in the courtyard at the pier).

Anyway, I'd recommend both tours. In addition to being excellent tours, I don't think that the Falmouth residents benefit that much from the Disney-like port being there, and this is a way to help them out.

Edited by MisterBill99

We are cruising on the oasis for the first time in May. I am trying to research ideas for Falmouth Jamaica, it seems as if most people stay on the ship. Is this accurate? What excursions have you tried and would recommend, if any?

I am also curious to know about the dragons breath coaster and zipline in labadee. Any suggestions? We are a family of 4; mom, dad and 2 sons ages 17 and 20. Thank you in advance for any advice you have to lend.

Go to Irie Blue Hole in Jamaica. Courtney Taylor or Peat Taylor tours.

It is a somewhat hidden gem. Not a tourist trap. Don't stay on the ship, see some of Jamaica.

So, we're back and did both the Jamaica Culinary Tour and the Jewish Cemetery Tour I mentioned earlier. We enjoyed both of them. Our guide from the culinary tour met us at the booth (which is just outside the main "terminal" building you walk thru after leaving the ship) and walked us over to the cemetery, which was around a 10 minute walk, where we met Marina. She has been doing a lot of research and explained the Jewish history of the island by talking about the graves of the people buried in the cemetery. The nominal tour fee will be used towards the upkeep and restoration of the cemetery.

We also enjoyed the food tour. The same person who walked us to the cemetery did the tour. They were very nice about getting me a veggie patty instead of the beef patty at one stop, and got another person a vegetable plate instead of the jerk chicken at that stop. We ended up at an old house that both Janet and Marina live in for some coconut treats and the owner told us about the history of it. On the way back to the ship, the guide took us to a supermarket so we could purchase some jerk seasonings at very reasonable prices (I didn't check, but I'm sure it was much cheaper than the stand in the courtyard at the pier).

Anyway, I'd recommend both tours. In addition to being excellent tours, I don't think that the Falmouth residents benefit that much from the Disney-like port being there, and this is a way to help them out.

Thanks for reviewing! The food tour sounds great. Local supermarkets are usually an interesting and cheaper alternative to touristy spots.

I have been to Ocho Rios several times. Did the Bobsled adventure there would give it a C- was fun but one ride and you are done so really does not take up a whole day. Hired a van at the port one time and was a big mistake as it really felt like my highlights tour was him taking me to all these places for people to try to sell me stuff. Last trip I used Courtney Taylor tours and Courtney took us to the Falls and the Blue hole. A+ in every way. Great tour operator, Dunns is kind of touristy but worth doing once but the Irie Blue hole is one of those once in a lifetime places to go to.

My Question is:

I am going to Falmouth next month, what is it like compared to Ocho Rios. I did walk around downtown Ocho Rios and although not uncomfortable the selling did get old after a while. Any suggestions for anything simple and fairly inexpensive to do where the ship dock. We do want to get off the ship but really looking to relax and and not do any standard excursions on this trip.

We will be there in a couple of weeks. Can you tell me more about the cemetary tour. Is there a specific time for this tour? We are seniors and would love to visit the cemetary. We would just like to walk over there for a quick visit. A 10 minute walk is okay, but I was confused about the other stops you mentioned. Are the food stops part of the culinary tour or the cemetary tour?

If you want to venture outside the gate they offer a 1 hour trolly tour that leaves every 30 minutes. I think it was $22 a person but we really enjoyed it. They take you right down the crowded and busy streets of the town center, then through some residential neighborhoods, you stop at a church and go inside for a tour, then returns down the coastline. If you do not have an excursion planned some time in the port area and the tour outside would be a nice option for a great day at Falmouth.

Where can I find the trolley tour? Does it start inside or outside the gate?

Thank you, that is exactly what I've been trying to find out for a while, and if they still had the trolley. Did you get the trolley ticket in side the the port or outside the gates. We look forward to that tour next month.

Yes the trolley tours start inside the gate, it is easy to find and they run every 30 minutes. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

Do you recall how much the tour was with them? I found their web site but they don't seem to have the prices posted.

Depends what port you are docking from. Ocho Rios or Falmouth and how many in your party and if you want a private tour.

Email them via their website what tour you want to do, number in your party, and they will reply with a quote.

I just seen about the "trolley tours." What are these tours about, and what is the cost per person?

I was thinking of getting a "native" to take us around, but perhaps the trolley tours might be just as good.

We will be there in a couple of weeks. Can you tell me more about the cemetary tour. Is there a specific time for this tour? We are seniors and would love to visit the cemetary. We would just like to walk over there for a quick visit. A 10 minute walk is okay, but I was confused about the other stops you mentioned. Are the food stops part of the culinary tour or the cemetary tour?

Sorry, I did not see your post until now. We left at 9:30 for the cemetery tour. I would suggest emailing Marina at info@falmouthheritagewalks.com, I'm sure that she'll be happy to work with you (feel free to mention my name). The only stop was the cemetery and it was more like 15 minute walk. Afterwards, she walked us back to the ship, where we met the food tour.

I just seen about the "trolley tours." What are these tours about, and what is the cost per person?

I was thinking of getting a "native" to take us around, but perhaps the trolley tours might be just as good.

This was our first time to Falmouth and we wanted to see what the real Falmouth was like. After reviewing numerous threads about Falmouth, the Heritage Walking Tour (ship's tour, $29/person) seemed like it would give us that up close and personal look of the town that we were looking for.

We met our guide and her assistant inside the “RCCL compound” where she gave us a brief overview of the tour. We (12 on our tour) then headed out into the town on a 2+ mile walk that lasted about 2 hours (a leisurely pace). Our guide provided us with lots of information about what we were seeing along the way. She mainly talked about the major buildings, churches, schools, etc. and their historical importance. Our last stop was at the home of an American from San Francisco who had moved to Jamaica ~15 years ago. She gave us some current day insight as to what it is like living in Falmouth today.

The tour obviously highlights the good parts of Falmouth, but it was a walking tour, so it was quite easy to see the not so prosperous parts of town. We were very glad we took the tour and felt very safe with guide and her assistant making sure we stayed together and safely got across intersections by holding up a stop sign to halt traffic. We didn’t see a stop signal or sign in town.

If you want to get out of the “RCCL compound” and see Falmouth, this is the way to go. Below some of the nicer sights.

DSC_0440_zpsdcdbc24d.jpg

Court House

DSC_0335_zps13c65fd3.jpg

Nearby Memorial

DSC_0348_zpsde4c25b4.jpg

Water Square

DSC_0358_zps2fa752a4.jpg

Church important to the end of Jamaican slavery

DSC_0434_zps04f81fc7.jpg

Davidson House

Last trip I used Courtney Taylor tours and Courtney took us to the Falls and the Blue hole. A+ in every way. Great tour operator, Dunns is kind of touristy but worth doing once but the Irie Blue hole is one of those once in a lifetime places to go to..

I'm considering the excursion to the Blue Hole. Can you tell me what the terrain is like from the shuttle to Blue Hole?

Tcieyes, you mentioned about going on a tour for "2" of you to a plantation with pineapple, coffee, etc. How can I find out how to get to it? What is the name of the place, can we take a Taxi to it, or do we need a tour guide?

There are two of us, and we have never been to Falmouth, so I would like to check this out.