Melbourne Australia needs more cruise ships

Come on Royal Caribbean! How about making Melbourne home to one of your magnificent cruise ships. It's the second biggest city in Australia with 4 million people and as of 2014 only 2 ships call it home. All Melbourne cruises are quickly booked out.;)

Come on Royal Caribbean! How about making Melbourne home to one of your magnificent cruise ships. It's the second biggest city in Australia with 4 million people and as of 2014 only 2 ships call it home. All Melbourne cruises are quickly booked out.;)

Good luck!! :)

There are alot of cities all over the world that want cruise ships but there are not enough ships out there for everyone. Be thankful you have any ships that call out of your city right now.

Do you think people would want 3 sea days each way going to the South Pacific from Melbourne?

Melbourne is very handy for New Zealand but in Oz want to cruise to the warmer areas and come home with some duty free.

You didn't just come off our Rhapsody cruise did you? Someone asked the captain that question... though of course it's not something that can go further. (And the comments above are quite correct.)

We asked the C&A loyalty ambassador that question recently and he seemed to think there was an issue with the embarking/disembarking facilities. While as a stop it is set up for a day visit, it seems that they are not set up for being the originating port. I don't know how true that is, but we would love to be able to get on an RCI ship in Melb instead Sydney, and I think the pool of potential passengers is huge.

We have so much heat and sun here in summer - like currently we are having 5 days over 40c in southern NSW -that I am not convinced the average person I speak to is that excited about the steamy hot pacific islands.

I know there are a lot of places that would like to be a cruise ship home, but there is a huge market opportunity here in my opinion!

Which ships do sail from Melb?

We asked the C&A loyalty ambassador that question recently and he seemed to think there was an issue with the embarking/disembarking facilities. While as a stop it is set up for a day visit, it seems that they are not set up for being the originating port. I don't know how true that is, but we would love to be able to get on an RCI ship in Melb instead Sydney, and I think the pool of potential passengers is huge.

We have so much heat and sun here in summer - like currently we are having 5 days over 40c in southern NSW -that I am not convinced the average person I speak to is that excited about the steamy hot pacific islands.

I know there are a lot of places that would like to be a cruise ship home, but there is a huge market opportunity here in my opinion!

The local Princess ships have sailed from Melbourne in the past. Given their size, that shouldn't be an issue for RCI.

My CPA brain translates 40 c into 104 f. That is hot hot hot.

9/5 x 40 + 32.

I know that the P & O ships are old hand-me-downs from Carnival. As RCI will be rolling out the 3 (or 4) Quantum class ships, they should have older smaller ships to transition to Oz and NZ.

JMHO

My CPA brain translates 40 c into 104 f. That is hot hot hot.

9/5 x 40 + 32.

I know that the P & O ships are old hand-me-downs from Carnival. As RCI will be rolling out the 3 (or 4) Quantum class ships, they should have older smaller ships to transition to Oz and NZ.

JMHO

Maybe we could have a freedom class ship? Australia has a very fast growth in cruising holidays. Don't forget it's not just Australians whom would book these cruises but people from all over the world whom see cruising Australia and nz as a great way to sample what thus region has to offer.

Maybe we could have a freedom class ship? Australia has a very fast growth in cruising holidays. Don't forget it's not just Australians whom would book these cruises but people from all over the world whom see cruising Australia and NZ as a great way to sample what thus region has to offer.

Just wait. RCI has options for a total of 5 Oasis Class and 4 Quantum class, all by 2019.

Maybe we could have a freedom class ship? Australia has a very fast growth in cruising holidays. Don't forget it's not just Australians whom would book these cruises but people from all over the world whom see cruising Australia and nz as a great way to sample what thus region has to offer.

The problem with freedom class for us is they're not practical to operate in the area, aside from possibly the runs that Voyager is doing now. But it's quite limiting, as we don't have a large number of ports that are well suited to that size.

I'd say Voyager size is as large as they will go in the near future. The RCL newbuilds mean those can replace Voyager class ships to operate in the Aust/Asia region.

• 2 months later...
Do you think people would want 3 sea days each way going to the South Pacific from Melbourne?

Melbourne is very handy for New Zealand but in Oz want to cruise to the warmer areas and come home with some duty free.

In answer to your question. I along with many others love sea days

• 2 years later...

At the moment Golden Princess and Pacific Jewel re the only ships that call Melbourne home from November -April, although there are a few Cunard and other P & O Australia cruises originating in Melbourne as well as some short sampler cruises with Celebrity andCarnival

It's a 90min flight to Sydney. What's the issue?

Try being in Perth. RCCL hates us. :)

It's a waste of a day by the time you get up to go to the airport, wait for the plane, fly, wait for the luggage etc. and we think Sydney is a waste of space except for the harbour.